Thread derailment

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Thread derailment

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread, both posted by Moderators:
Moderator note - A large number of off-topic posts which derailled the thread have been removed. The OP is a new member seeking advice, and it is especially inappropriate for individual posters to use such a thread to repeatedly post off-topic comments. The fact that the OP made a brief passing comment in one sentence about the impact of Brexit on their buying options is not a valid excuse to derail their thread.
There is no ban on discussing or criticising Brexit. The OPs thread was being derailed for a Brexit discussion that did not contribute to the topic under discussion.
Thread derailment is a major factor limiting my enjoyment of this forum at the moment. It's good to see the principle clearly stated that moderation can be appropriate.

Jonathan

Thanks to all of the Moderators and others who make the forum work.
Last edited by Jdsk on 19 Feb 2024, 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Re: Thread derailment

Post by rjb »

Going off at a tangent can throw up lots of interesting ideas. It's what I like about this forum. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 9:47am
Thread derailment is a major factor liming my enjoyment of this forum at the moment. others who make the forum work.
Can you clarify, for me certainly, what you mean by liming?
My understanding of liming is how it sweetens acidic ground and yet I’m guessing you mean the opposite?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 9:47am Thread derailment is a major factor liming my enjoyment of this forum at the moment. It's good to see the principle clearly stated that moderation can be appropriate.
Yes, moderators stopping derailment is a good improvement, but it is extremely surprising that this rule change first appeared in a moderation explanation post, rather than, for example, in the board rules. Will the rules be updated now?

Does this means that I won't have so many "off topic" reports closed in future with the moderator reminding me that topic drift doesn't break any current rules?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 10:07am
Jdsk wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 9:47am Thread derailment is a major factor liming my enjoyment of this forum at the moment.
Can you clarify, for me certainly, what you mean by liming?
My understanding of liming is how it sweetens acidic ground and yet I’m guessing you mean the opposite?
Thanks for spotting the typo: I meant limiting, and I've corrected it.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rjb wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 9:57am Going off at a tangent can throw up lots of interesting ideas. It's what I like about this forum. :D
INTERESTING being a key word - dragging up long-standing, much-debated issues hardly qualifies.[I have quite strong views on Br**it, but they are not relevant to this thread!]
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 9:57am Going off at a tangent can throw up lots of interesting ideas. It's what I like about this forum. :D
I both agree and disagree - much depend son the nature of the thread. So maybe a very factual thread eg "What torque should I set my squander bolt to?" is specific, (probably short) and probably needs to stay on-topic. Whereas eg "UK Politics" is by its nature rambling diverse heads in all sorts of directions (often at the same time) but it's the nature of that type of thread.

And different people place different degrees of specificity on different topics/trreads - so to me there is no "answer", just a continuum with a cutt-off subject to personal opinion.

But at then end of the day, it's a chat area forum, exchange of ideas, information, views.

nb To me off-topic is completely different from mis-information (and I don't think anybody is confusing the two).

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

What annoys me the most are links posted with no reference to what they are about. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 12:27pm What annoys me the most are links posted with no reference to what they are about. :(
Even worse when appended with "Discuss"

(But we might be going off-topic here ...)

Ian
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Yes, completely different thoughts from completely different angles are what make forums interesting - the likes of ChatGBPT+4 will never say something like "you have asked the wrong question" then go on a mad but interesting tangent.

But also 'yes' to not wanting threads to disappear down Helmet or Brexit rabbit holes.
drossall

Post by drossall »

A thread can easily provoke a discussion on an unrelated topic. But what I've seen done, and would prefer, is that people announce in the original thread that they have taken up that topic in a new thread, with a link. Then the original topic, which was probably interesting in its own right, can continue too.

Start a new thread with a title relevant to the new topic and heavens, you might even attract others who want to discuss that. Far more likely to get interesting posts about politics if the thread claims to be about Brexit than if it claims to be about pedal bearings, surely? How would people even find it in the latter case?
irc

Post by irc »

rjb wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 12:27pm What annoys me the most are links posted with no reference to what they are about. :(
Especially if the ink is a video.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

irc wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 9:47pm
Those ones are easy - I simply never open them.
irc

Post by irc »

mattheus wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 8:09am
Exactly. There is no point posting a video link without a couple of sentences saying what it is. Nobody will look at it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

irc wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 9:20am
mattheus wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 8:09am

Exactly. There is no point posting a video link without a couple of sentences saying what it is. Nobody will look at it.
Particularly as the forum has a short code and links in the post edit bat to embed the video as in

Takes seconds!

Ian