Winter cycling photos and writeups

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon in Sweden

Re: Winter cycling photos and writeups

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Feb 2024, 7:56am
Must be fantastic to see in the wild.

I saw a sea eagle once -- thought it was some sort of bird scarer with claws mounted on a 3" square fence post as I cycled up to it but then it's head moved. It hopped 180°, spread it's huge wings and just glided to the other side of the field which gently sloped away from the road. He came to rest on another fence post which wobbled with the weight of the bird. :shock: such a majestic animal.

It's stuff like this you don't get to see in a car.
Both the moose and the eagle were awesome, in the most traditional sense of the word.

Both unimaginably huge. You get used to buzzards but the white tailed eagle (havsörn in Swedish) is like comparing a Mini to a Hummer. Similarly, there is no UK wild animal that's even close to moose in size. Only a shire horse comes close. I'm a tall guy, but a bull moose would tower over me.

I'm looking forward to the cranes coming back next month. They are wonderful, and the noise they make prehistoric. I enjoy seeing the capercaillie too, but they are usually confined to the most forested bits. The osprey will be back soon too - they are a fairly common sight here, as well as red kites.

The wildlife spotting is one of the highlights of riding here (and indeed anywhere).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Just saw a fox running straight across the road -- we don't often see them - maybe cos the car is so quiet being electric.
I am here. Where are you?
twodogs

Post by twodogs »

Last year I saw a Swamp Harrier carrying a live snake which was memorable. Unfortunately, around here most of the interesting wildlife is to be seen dead on the road, breaks my heart.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

twodogs wrote: 5 Feb 2024, 8:21am Last year I saw a Swamp Harrier carrying a live snake which was memorable.
If we saw that it would be more than memorable -- it would cross over to being scientific interest cos St Paddy banished all our snakes :lol:
twodogs

Post by twodogs »

Cowsham wrote: 5 Feb 2024, 10:09am If we saw that it would be more than memorable -- it would cross over to being scientific interest cos St Paddy banished all our snakes :lol:
He got rid of the vampire bats as well.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

twodogs wrote: 5 Feb 2024, 11:03am
Cowsham wrote: 5 Feb 2024, 10:09am If we saw that it would be more than memorable -- it would cross over to being scientific interest cos St Paddy banished all our snakes :lol:
He got rid of the vampire bats as well.
Don't know about that they've been sucking our blood while not in Stormont for the last two years, two years of covid and 3 years before that with the RHI scandal.

Jeffery Draculason -- fat Dracula. :lol:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

My only winter riding since 6th January due to an "off".
Black ice, slam dunk, collarbone cracked. :(
Watching Mallorca "training videos" on YouTube helps with the boredom. (at least sunny and warm :wink: )
Having trouble keeping up with them on the hills though. Must lose some (a lot) of weight :mrgreen:
winter8_MP.jpg
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCjhIr7XT-4
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cycleruk wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 11:24am My only winter riding since 6th January due to an "off".
Black ice, slam dunk, collarbone cracked. :(
Watching Mallorca "training videos" on YouTube helps with the boredom. (at least sunny and warm :wink: )
Having trouble keeping up with them on the hills though. Must lose some (a lot) of weight :mrgreen:
winter8_MP.jpg
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCjhIr7XT-4
Hope you have let that collarbone get a chance to heal -- I didn't and ended up having to spend another 6 weeks doing nothing and spoiling what was left of the summer of 2021.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 5:13pm
cycleruk wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 11:24am
Hope you have let that collarbone get a chance to heal -- I didn't and ended up having to spend another 6 weeks doing nothing and spoiling what was left of the summer of 2021.
Cheers.
5 weeks now. I can touch it and no pain but I know its still not 100%.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It will heal. And so will the scar. It took mine three or four years till I could no longer feel it with a pack on that shoulder, but it's fine after that.
Richard Of York 2

Post by Richard Of York 2 »

A club ride this week to Scotch Corner - no not the one north on the A1. This one is at the top of an old drove road east of the White Horse of Kilburn. A key site in the story of the Battle of Byland 1322. Robert the Bruce defeated Edward II on the White Horse ridge. Approx 6000 Scots and almost twice that in Edwards hord. In my view a better Scots victory than Bannockburn. This was won deep into enemy territory, with Bruce managing a long supply line and having completed a rapid 5 day march down from Carlisle. Bruce assaulted up the Sutton Bank escarpment and eventually used a flanking body of Highlanders sent east up the old drove road to catch Edward's left flank by surprise. The site is also home to this chapel constructed by the sculptor John Bunting using stone from a derelict steading. It's a memorial chapel to the fallen.
Attachments
IMG_20240224_115311287_MFNR.jpg
IMG_20240224_115336384_MFNR.jpg
IMG-20240228-WA0011.jpg