Any financial experts on site

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Any financial experts on site

Post by Psamathe »

Got a reminder from a bank I have savings with (as ISA year coming to end) and they have this ISA facility I never realised was possible
Our cash ISAs are also flexible, which means any withdrawals you make are added back to your ISA allowance.
I have no idea if or how widespread such a feature is (and deliberately not posting the bank I got this from as, whilst I'm very happy with them, I' only opened the account a few months ago so not enough experience to make any even implied recommendation.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

briansnail wrote: 7 Mar 2024, 2:44pm
So the message from the Treasury is that British company shares can no longer compete with foreign shares in a fair comparison and need protection measures like this. Wow. There have been few clearer admissions of failure of recent governments.
I do not know if and for how long ISA/Shares MIGHT be a good investment.World over companies are reducing their workforce via A1 and robots.I was watching a big biscuit and car factory on TV.Very few workers.This is how companies maintain good profits and workers post lousy ones.

Trump/Biden may be right as tariffs and quota's may be a way to defend eg USA manufacturing against Chinese low cost output which get big subsidies for Technology and state help.Which might be viewed as unfair competition.Which is why Trump is a hot runner like him or hate him.

Hope this does not start of to big a debate on the pro and cons of free trade.
Doing more with less workers is productivity growth and good for the company doing it and the economy generally.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Doing more with less workers is productivity growth and good for the company doing it and the economy generally.

Slightly disagree.Its good for the people in top bit of the economy.These are people with good private pensions,People with investments like ISA'S.
However the people in the bottom bit of the economy like the American rust belt lose out.No jobs .No tax to pay for schools and education.For this segment its bad.Which is why Trump will probably win he promises jobs will come back.The rural poor who listen to MAGA RADIO are more then the CNN Washington elite.80:20 rule.

In USA,UK,China,India there is up to 40% youth unemployment.A first degree will now only get one a job flipping hamburgers.The UK,USA overseas students who used to stay after Msc/PhD are going back.To build successful companies abroad.

So we get cheap E cars,i phones etc.However it is better to pay UK residents wages not benefit money but money for manufacturing.People have only one car ,iPhone. Its better for them earn £1500.00 a month and pay even double for their goods.Then to have no income and pay a pittance for goods from abroad.