RockRider ST 540 Conversion Mid Drive

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Dodies

RockRider ST 540 Conversion Mid Drive

Post by Dodies »

Hi, i just learnt a little about the Bafang conversion kits for non-electric bikes and wondered if my RockRider 540 would be a suitable platform?

It has 3 x 9 gears, so I think I would have to convert it to a 1x instead? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether such a conversion be a good option?

this is the bike https://support.decathlon.co.uk/rockrid ... 031f802051
stodd

Re: RockRider ST 540 Conversion Mid Drive

Post by stodd »

There are different conversion kits; Bafang have both mid drive kits (motor at the crank) and hub kits (motor at the rear). Some companies do front hub kits, I don't think Bafang do, and you probably wouldn't want one on that bike anyway. The bike looks fine for a crank or rear hub conversion.

With the rear hub kit you should be able to keep the gearing unchanged.
With the crank kit it will probably come as single speed on the front, but you can often manage double front change depending on chainline details.

Hub kits are generally simpler and cheaper than crank kits, and have less wear on the transmission. They are generally best for commuting, pleasure riding and basic off-road riding. Crank kits are better where there a very steep hills, and for more technical mountain biking. Reliability is about equal for both, but fixing any issues that do arise tends to be simpler for hub kits.

If you haven't already, look at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.42/ and the other forums on that platform.

The Bafang kits are good but so are lots of the alternatives. I'd recommend Woosh as a supplier because of their excellent customer service. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/ Especially for a first time conversion; they'll check out details of the bike and how you expect to use it before selling you something to make sure it's suitable, and give you lots of advice on fitting or with subsequent issues.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I have the 2023 ST540 and did a mid drive conversion on it.
I didn't think the motor would fit well because of the bottom bracket which was different to others I've had so ended up buying all sorts of adaptors prior to the bike arriving. None of those adapters were needed. Only a few extra washers for the M6 clamping plate....you'll know what I'm on about if/when you go ahead with it.
The biggest issue I had was the battery. I chose the small frame size and it didn't fit. I ended up buying a triangle battery and even then I had to file the velcro strap loops off. I made a bag for it to fit in the frame. That battery has since been deemed a fire risk by the government. My original battery has been fitted by removing the clamping plate it sits on, inserting straps through the battery case itself and wedged in. It's a bodge...but nearly a year on and it's still working. If you need to go that route, ensure you shove plenty of silicon sealant around the strap holes in the case. You don't want water getting in there!
I went with a bafang bbso2 motor.
The biggest issue with it since has been when pushing the bike backwards. I do so to get it in the house. The chain derails itself from the top rear sprockets due to the chain line being out which the motor causes. Not a huge problem but it is irritating. Also, you'll need a longer chain.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

If you haven't done so already, look through some youtube vids on the 'torque sensing vs cadence sensing' ebike motor systems as each will give you quite a different ride experience.

If looking for a mid drive conversion the two most popular at an affordable price are either from Bafang (the BBSxx series) or Tong Sheng (eg. TSDZ2) - Bafang are cadence sensing and Tong Sheng are torque sensing.systems.

I have done five TSDZ2 conversions for self/family/friends and my own machine/motor has done in excess of 6,000 miles without issue other than retirghtening the motor fixings periodically but I only every ride in the lowest power assist level, so I am a 'light user'.

Some users on the likes of the Endless Sphere forum have complained of TSDZ2 problems but you can never tell how they have used their motors e.g. some 250LB giant, bunny hoping his ramped up TSDZ2 (750w 48v) over mountaneous terrain on hot summer days!
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey