Dashcams in HGVs will help catch reckless drivers

Mike Sales

Dashcams in HGVs will help catch reckless drivers

Post by Mike Sales »

The police are enlisting vigilantes.
Perhaps they will give cyclists cameras next.
One hundred dashcams are to be fitted in HGVs and coaches to catch reckless driving in Lincolnshire.

Footage showing driving offences will be uploaded to Lincolnshire Police website and may be used by the force to take action.

The aim is to cut the number of people killed or seriously injured on the county’s roads.

It is part of a £45,000 project called Operation Journey.

The dashcams will be given to haulage and coach companies that drive on the high-risk routes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51lq4jp296o
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PH

Re: Dashcams in HGVs will help catch reckless drivers

Post by PH »

Mike Sales wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 1:36pm The police are enlisting vigilantes.
No they're not.
They're coming up with alternative ways to gather evidence. There is no intention of changing the way crimes are judged and punished.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 4:10pm
Mike Sales wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 1:36pm The police are enlisting vigilantes.
No they're not.
They're coming up with alternative ways to gather evidence. There is no intention of changing the way crimes are judged and punished.
I dislike using emojis, but perhaps I should reconsider.
I was using the silly slur so often thrown at the likes of Jeremy Vine and Cycling Mikey.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

This is fine, but what they need to do is make it easier to upload video evidence,
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have found that some 'key cycle users' will get cams!
Executive Summary:
As a result of the East of England and East Midland’s Road Safety Summit on 15 September
2023, Humberside PCC was invited by the Department for Transport (DfT) and Association
of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC) to submit a road safety funding bid. The bid
was successful and will fund the purchase of dashcams for key road users, body cams for
Community Speed Watch co-ordinators, and cycle cams for key cycle user. The overall aim
is to make improvements to the current offer around Operation Snap and our local
Community Speed Watch scheme.
Humberside OPCC will also be working closely with Lincolnshire OPCC, who are conducting
a similar dash cam trial, albeit with a different approach to evaluate options for what works.
Humberside OPCC will receive £65,000 towards the project, which will run from January-
July 2024, to coincide with the Operation Journey - DfT Roads Policing Review Programme.
The DfT will be providing evaluation of the project through a third-party provider.
https://www.humberside-pcc.gov.uk/Docum ... ourney.pdf
awavey

Post by awavey »

Ive heard other forces have done similar with cyclist groups, though not as widely publicised schemes, its probably down to individual officers at the time with access to a budget, rather than some concerted plan across the police as a whole, and it seems patchy whether any good comes from it. its hard to judge how successful Dashcams are when forces arent obliged to publish any stats and you have to dig through FOI requests.

the irony it might be the HGV drivers themselves who curb their own recklessness, rather than "catching" anyone else.
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:40pm This is fine, but what they need to do is make it easier to upload video evidence,
The police have an initiative called 'Operation Snap.' However, from my experience of uploading incidents of what I considered bad or dangerous driving, their response has always been disappointing. On those occasions, I've had to chase them up to get any acknowledgment. Furthermore, when they do get back to me, they seem to set the bar very high in terms of whether they will take any action.
AKA De Sisti
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

It’s a bit of a postcode lottery - some forces seem to be really supportive, others less so.

No portal in Scotland IIRC?