Leatherman skeletool

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
simonineaston

Leatherman skeletool

Post by simonineaston »

Just a few lines on the subject of this lightweight multitool... We cyclists are always on the lookout for items that can lighten the load. The perfect multitool might weigh under 100g and contain everything we need to complete any sort of road trip - a complete set of Allen, torx and traditional screwdrivers, spanners, unbreakable tyre levers, a chain splitter, a bottle opener, a kitchen knife and a tiny tiny spare battery for phone or our bike motor.. but of course, it doesn't exist!
I thought I'd try Leatherman's newish skeletool to see if it combines light weight with useful features. In summary, it's a pair of nicely made light duty pliers / wire cutters on comfortable, slightly curved and perforated handles, a good folding&locking blade and a bit holder on the other end. That's it, apart from the combined carabiner / bottle opener.
So the task of versatility is very much down to the bit holder. It accepts Leatherman's proprietry bits and comes with 2 reversable bits, one slot head, the other cross head meaning you get 4 drivers. One bit sits in the holder, the other stows in the handle. Nice & neat, if rather minimal.
Where things start to get interesting is if you splash the cash (itro £20...) for the accessory bit kit, which gets you 20 more bits (including a useful micro driver just right for the very small screws you get on yer spex...) and thus an array of over 40 various tools - see below. And yt has several videos showing clever and fairly straightforward ways to expand the skeletool to use both 1/4 & 1/8 inch bits, as well as saws & files. Now we're talking!
However, I have to say that the light weight comes with a drawback in that it's less sturdy than my Topeak multitool, which feels bomb proof and shows no sign of any wear, even after a couple of decades of use. I tried out the skeletool with the large 6mm allen bit which fits the big frame bolt on my Moulton and found that I wasn't able to apply enough torque to undo the bolt without the skeletool flexing alarmingly in my hand... not a good start although on the other hand, the makers are sufficiently confident to give the tool their 25 year warranty. It's worth remarking that the Topeak tool will achieve this task with no sign of flex at all. I can heave all I like on the Topeak!
So, the $64 Q. - will the skeletool replace the Topeak as my essential carry when out on my bike? Answer - no. On the other hand, it's now in my knapsack that goes with me every day, when out and about walking. In other words, it's a bit of a curate's egg, I suppose... the search for that ultimate Do It All multitool continues.
The Last Word is a warning - I learn that Royal Mail ( and possibly all other carriers) will no longer accept bladed items for delivery, starting next month!
tool, case and my selected bits
tool, case and my selected bits
lightweight pliers
lightweight pliers
bit holder
bit holder
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
80s_kid

Re: Leatherman skeletool

Post by 80s_kid »

Thanks for this review. Will investigate the Topeak.

Do please flag up if you find those unbreakable tyre levers!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yes, the Topeak is hard to beat for everyday carry.
IMG_2199.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:16am ...

The Last Word is a warning - I learn that Royal Mail ( and possibly all other carriers) will no longer accept bladed items for delivery, starting next month!IMG_2175.jpegIMG_2176.jpegIMG_2177.jpeg
Thanks for the review.

And another warning... that blade may be relevant to laws related to possession in public, including those of the UK:
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Jonathan (Victorinox Spirit)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bladed articles?

Let's buy Stanley Knife blades eh?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... &_osacat=0
Mick F. Cornwall