Just how long will it take to turn this ship around?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Just how long will it take to turn this ship around?

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 8:50am UK has the oldest housing stock the least floor space per person in Europe and pays the most for it according to an article in Sky news:- https://news.sky.com/story/uk-spends-mo ... o-13099925
A disappointing article in that whilst I can't dispute the claims it makes, the article really doesn't support its claims either. Normally such articles would have some tables listing a wide rnge of similar western countries so you can see how UK compares rather than "less than <couple of selected named countries>".

My personal view is it's poor reporting.

Ian
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:52am
reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 8:50am UK has the oldest housing stock the least floor space per person in Europe and pays the most for it according to an article in Sky news:- https://news.sky.com/story/uk-spends-mo ... o-13099925
A disappointing article in that whilst I can't dispute the claims it makes, the article really doesn't support its claims either. Normally such articles would have some tables listing a wide rnge of similar western countries so you can see how UK compares rather than "less than <couple of selected named countries>".

Ian
Not a particularly informative piece.
We have other problems in this country like homelessness and insecurity of tenure.
We are desperately short of social housing - little has been done about this since the council house sell off in the eighties.
It's also exacerbated by the large amount of immigration adding to the demand.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:52am

Ian
It's a news item based on a Resolution Foundation report. If you want to find the information it's based on look at it's quoted source. The article is fully informative. It gives an outline of the findings and tells you where to find the full report - at the Resolution Foundation.
https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/pu ... k-q1-2024/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks Pete
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 3:07pm The only thing that will turn us around economically is successful private business. Such businesses are lead by hard working, driven entrepreneurs. These folk must be incentivised. Heavy taxation out of line with world norms incentivises them to take their ideas and businesses abroad elsewhere.

Al
you mean like the water and rail companies? Or the steel industry? Or the banks? Just what planet do you live on? We would all be better off if the people who run -"run", I use the term in irony- these outfits did leave. Add to that the people who destroyed the UK car industry (Rover) ( now disqualifed as company directors) et.al and a clear picture emerges. Their ideas have only been disastrous. Which is the history of private business in the UK. All steps ahead in technology and health have been funded from Government through universities and national institutions. To think that the private sector does anything other than suck wealth from the many for the few shows a staggering misunderstanding.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ANTONISH wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 10:05am ...
We are desperately short of social housing - little has been done about this since the council house sell off in the eighties.
Made a lot worse by Government/Planning policy on "viability" which in effect guarantees developer profits allowing them to reduce or eliminate social housing from schemes where their profits drop below 15% (still making a profit, just not as much as they would like!

A small development near me for <20 homes and planning permission had the requisite number of affordable homes. Developer part way through (after just 6 months) decided they were not making enough of a profit (still making a profit, just not enough) so they went to the Planners to reduce the affordable homes below "token gesture" levels so they could make higher profits. I even attended Council pPlanning Committee meeting to speak against their change on the basis the developer undertook the development on the basis of the agreed number of affordable homes and it was their business risk and they were making a profit anyway. But Council allowed the affordable homes to be all but discarded and sold at commercial prices. No wonder we are short of such housing.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 3:07pm ...Such businesses are lead by hard working, driven entrepreneurs. These folk must be incentivised. ...
Guess they can't be that driven if they need extra incentives to avoid slumping into fecklessness.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 3:07pm ... Such businesses are lead by hard working, driven entrepreneurs. These folk must be incentivised. Heavy taxation out of line with world norms incentivises them to take their ideas and businesses abroad elsewhere.

Al
You hold the western culture/humanity in very low regard if you feel personal wealth the only/best motivation for people to work hard.

I work hard. Few years back I was volunteering, 2 days each week, full 8 hr day and it was hard work. My motivation, doing some good, making things a bit better for others. I was paid nothing.

Depressing to believe that the only motivation for people is wealth (often that they don't need) and if gaining that wealth means cuts to public services eg NHS well they can afford BUPA health cover ...

When I was working through my entire career I never got paid any overtime despite working 15 hr days mostly 7 days a week, no holidays. Last job before retiring most of the 15 years at board level (a plc company), modest salary, long hours and my reward was building the company, developing software systems I could take pride in, that customers were pleased with, etc.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pliptrot wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 1:53pm
al_yrpal wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 3:07pm The only thing that will turn us around economically is successful private business. Such businesses are lead by hard working, driven entrepreneurs. These folk must be incentivised. Heavy taxation out of line with world norms incentivises them to take their ideas and businesses abroad elsewhere.

Al
you mean like the water and rail companies? Or the steel industry? Or the banks? Just what planet do you live on? We would all be better off if the people who run -"run", I use the term in irony- these outfits did leave. Add to that the people who destroyed the UK car industry (Rover) ( now disqualifed as company directors) et.al and a clear picture emerges. Their ideas have only been disastrous. Which is the history of private business in the UK. All steps ahead in technology and health have been funded from Government through universities and national institutions. To think that the private sector does anything other than suck wealth from the many for the few shows a staggering misunderstanding.
Spot on!
However,there are those who claim it's all the fault of the British works,indeed Truss the loonie and a few others currently ministers in the present UK "government" :? including the present chance-ellor one Jeremy *unt wrote a book about how the plebs are lazy and don't work hard enough to fill their already bugeoning pockets!
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:02pm
pliptrot wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 1:53pm

Al
Spot on!
However,there are those who claim it's all the fault of the British works,indeed Truss the loonie and a few others currently ministers in the present UK "government" :? including the present chance-ellor one Jeremy *unt wrote a book about how the plebs are lazy and don't work hard enough to fill their already bugeoning pockets!
The book you're referring to is presumably "Brittania unchained"

Hunt wasn't an author; these people were.

Kwasi Kwarteng
Priti Patel
Dominic Raab
Chris Skidmore
Liz Truss
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:17pm
reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:02pm
pliptrot wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 1:53pm you mean like the water and rail companies? Or the steel industry? Or the banks? Just what planet do you live on? We would all be better off if the people who run -"run", I use the term in irony- these outfits did leave. Add to that the people who destroyed the UK car industry (Rover) ( now disqualifed as company directors) et.al and a clear picture emerges. Their ideas have only been disastrous. Which is the history of private business in the UK. All steps ahead in technology and health have been funded from Government through universities and national institutions. To think that the private sector does anything other than suck wealth from the many for the few shows a staggering misunderstanding.
Spot on!

Kwasi Kwarteng
Priti Patel
Dominic Raab
Chris Skidmore
Liz Truss
Yes that is the book I was refering to,my memory fails me,apologies.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:24pm
reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:02pm Spot on!
However,there are those who claim it's all the fault of the British works,indeed Truss the loonie and a few others currently ministers in the present UK "government" including the present chance-ellor one Jeremy *unt wrote a book about how the plebs are lazy and don't work hard enough to fill their already bugeoning pockets!

Kwasi Kwarteng
Priti Patel
Dominic Raab
Chris Skidmore
Liz Truss
You might have been thinking of: "Direct Democracy: An Agenda For A New Model Party":
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 65306.html

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:28pm
reohn2 wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:24pm

Kwasi Kwarteng
Priti Patel
Dominic Raab
Chris Skidmore
Liz Truss
You might have been thinking of: "Direct Democracy: An Agenda For A New Model Party":
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 65306.html

Jonathan
Thanks,yes that's it,my muddled brain box......
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What most voters don't realise is the all-pervasive influence of the neoliberal hard right. Most have us have been turned into cash cows and are, apparently, content to watch our hard earned disappear without trace into the wallets of a handful of conglomerates, never to be seen again. Until their grip is broken Britain will remain the disintegrating disgrace it's become…
Anybody who gripes about this party or that is missing the point. Traditional demcocracy is over, modern politicians are ineffective.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Braceby

Post by Braceby »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 3:42pm What most voters don't realise is the all-pervasive influence of the neoliberal hard right. Most have us have been turned into cash cows and are, apparently, content to watch our hard earned disappear without trace into the wallets of a handful of conglomerates, never to be seen again. Until their grip is broken Britain will remain the disintegrating disgrace it's become…
Anybody who gripes about this party or that is missing the point. Traditional demcocracy is over, modern politicians are ineffective.
Bukowski.jpg