GCN+ closes What are the alternatives?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sizbut

Re: GCN+ closes What are the alternatives?

Post by sizbut »

For those wanting the British Cyclecross national championship today, women are on BBC iplayer at 11:25 today and men at 13:15.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

For those wanting the British Cyclecross national championship today, women are on BBC iplayer at 11:25 today and men at 13:15.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

British Cycling
Live Cross on all day YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF8XOmzFVwE
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Great coverage, just a pity about Helen’s audio link.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Sorry to drag this one back!
Has anyone here set up Eurosport, via Discovery, on an Amazon Firestick. I guess we could use the wife's Amazon Prime account but that may not continue. I am a complete techno-numpty and can't work out how it happens or what I get. In the old days of Eurosport player or GCN I could watch all sorts of cycling for ages after it went live.
Is this still possible. Eurosport website is a bit vague in this respect as far as I can see.
Thanks.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, there’s still a big archive of past events. Just had a look and you can still get the whole of the 23/24 cyclocross season, and the Tour Down Under is still on there.

Can’t help with the Firestick, as I watch on iPad and Apple TV.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

ta. Think that's the main issue sorted.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ok , thanks so far but any more tips. Switch on via the Firestick and set Disco + up. Expected to have to pay but it only gave me the option to add it to the Amazon prime account. Fair enough. Suspect I could have forced it but no issue.
Anyway, up popped the Tour of Flanders so we watched it live.
All good. Just tried to do the same and I can't work out how to go to Eurosport. The icon is there but it wants me to log in but doesn't recognise the Disco+ login. Do I need to create another account?
Any bright ideas.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Semi sorted. not what I really wanted but most is there. What a pain dealing with the help chat line.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

I can't believe that there's still been no word on where/if we going to be able to continue to watch the documentaries. Surely it should have been sorted by now? Seems to me that they're destined to be permanently stuck in the recycling bin. Maybe they're hoping we just forget about it, a bit like that search for a presenter competition they had running a few years ago, that got quietly dropped, and everyone seems to have forgotten about........
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Without going back to check, I think, when fighting my way through the menus and displays , I saw a few documentaries. A friend involved in the production of the GCN stuff reckons that that side of things has been binned. Not enough mainstream value. I like, other keen cycling mates, only watched a few of the videos. Too much variation so I cherry picked. Don't really miss it as I regard telly watching as time wasting. :lol: This would have been recognised thus showing a limited overall take up.
The techy, news stuff is still there via GCN on Youtube of course but the cycling documentaries have apparently died just as the "Cycling Channel" did a few years ago.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

mattsccm wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 8:27am Without going back to check, I think, when fighting my way through the menus and displays , I saw a few documentaries. A friend involved in the production of the GCN stuff reckons that that side of things has been binned. Not enough mainstream value. I like, other keen cycling mates, only watched a few of the videos. Too much variation so I cherry picked. Don't really miss it as I regard telly watching as time wasting. :lol: This would have been recognised thus showing a limited overall take up.
The techy, news stuff is still there via GCN on Youtube of course but the cycling documentaries have apparently died just as the "Cycling Channel" did a few years ago.
So why would they keep insisting to whoever asks that they're "working on it"? Since they're already made and I paid for, I don't see the problem of just putting them up on YT? The only sticking point could be rights issues. Whoever owns the rights to the documentaries I don't know. There were some good ones on there. I watched a few, and intended to watch more.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

bungle73 wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 5:58pm
mattsccm wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 8:27am Without going back to check, I think, when fighting my way through the menus and displays , I saw a few documentaries. A friend involved in the production of the GCN stuff reckons that that side of things has been binned. Not enough mainstream value. I like, other keen cycling mates, only watched a few of the videos. Too much variation so I cherry picked. Don't really miss it as I regard telly watching as time wasting. :lol: This would have been recognised thus showing a limited overall take up.
So why would they keep insisting to whoever asks that they're "working on it"? Since they're already made and I paid for, I don't see the problem of just putting them up on YT? The only sticking point could be rights issues. Whoever owns the rights to the documentaries I don't know. There were some good ones on there. I watched a few, and intended to watch more.
If they are like ordinary documentary rights, the presenters, the composers, the music performers etc. etc. etc. will all have performance residuals due when it's viewed.

Even if they've bought out the rights, a large company from a litigious society like Warner Bros. will want it checked thoroughly.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”