Broken Chain! I’m a complete amateur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NickJP

Re: Broken Chain! I’m a complete amateur

Post by NickJP »

Brucey wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 12:16pmSince then I have studiously avoided chain tool use on 9s and higher chains, except for shortening them.
I've had a Rohloff Revolver chain tool for many years. It has a tungsten carbide anvil that peens the end of the joining pin. After driving the joining pin through the chain and snapping off the excess length, you rotate that anvil in line with the pin, lock it down, and then apply considerable force to the other end of the pin to peen the end that's come through the chain so that it can't back out. Until recently, all Shimano chains used the joining pin, even 11s chains, but I haven't had anyone come back to me complaining of a failure at the joining pin after this treatment.
PXL_20240327_050447226.jpg
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

MikeF wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:20pm Note - first post.
Never to be heard of again?
AKA De Sisti
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NickJP wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 5:36am
Brucey wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 12:16pmSince then I have studiously avoided chain tool use on 9s and higher chains, except for shortening them.
I've had a Rohloff Revolver chain tool for many years. It has a tungsten carbide anvil that peens the end of the joining pin. After driving the joining pin through the chain and snapping off the excess length, you rotate that anvil in line with the pin, lock it down, and then apply considerable force to the other end of the pin to peen the end that's come through the chain so that it can't back out. Until recently, all Shimano chains used the joining pin, even 11s chains, but I haven't had anyone come back to me complaining of a failure at the joining pin after this treatment.
PXL_20240327_050447226.jpg
I am not 100% sure about 12s, but 11s campag chain is meant be joined with a peened rivet. This puts off anybody who is keen on chain waxing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

maanderx wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 7:35am
MikeF wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 9:20pm Note - first post.
Never to be heard of again?
This concern has been expressed before, but on a positive note; the answers/suggestions provided in response may well be of interest to others, both now and in the future, so I still think its a worthwhile exercise even if the OP never returns.