how slow do they get?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
plancashire

Re: how slow do they get?

Post by plancashire »

mjr wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 10:14pm
plancashire wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 9:55pm Woods/Dunlop/Blitz are the devil's work. ... People keep unscrewing the retaining ring accidentally so it leaks slowly.
How do people accidentally unscrew that? There's no need to touch it in normal use.
I don't know. They don't know. My guess is when unscrewing the dust cover. These things are tiny. You grab it and your fingertips extend down to the ring. In the workshop I deal with people who don't understand bikes and have minimal mechanical skills. They also struggle with Presta, but usually have bikes with Woods or Auto. The Auto cap is bigger and simpler but then the pump needs a lever-operated pin to open the valve. Sigh!
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

plancashire wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 10:27pm
mjr wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 10:14pm
plancashire wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 9:55pm Woods/Dunlop/Blitz are the devil's work. ... People keep unscrewing the retaining ring accidentally so it leaks slowly.
How do people accidentally unscrew that? There's no need to touch it in normal use.
I don't know. They don't know. My guess is when unscrewing the dust cover. These things are tiny. You grab it and your fingertips extend down to the ring.
??? Mine are about the size of a Presta cap. This might be like when some complain that there's not enough valve for a pump to grip, that they've some annoying short valve. Not all Woods are like that. It's not an inherent fault of the type any more that ejecting the core is inherent to all Presta, just because Continentals easily do.
[...] but then the pump needs a lever-operated pin to open the valve. Sigh!
Only if the pump can't open it by pressure alone, but that discussion's been done to death before.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

with presta valves I am happy enough to forgo a front dustcap. However the other valve types have sufficient propensity to leak or get clogged etc. that I regard the secondary seal as more or less essential.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~