What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 7:52pm
Jdsk wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 7:19pm Do you know the Zen... story?
I do; perhaps Pirsig's friend would have been less upset with a gold plated shim, my current choice for my British Eagle's drive-side bb cup.
P1170832.JPG
Is it an in-joke referring to that? Because the difference in views wouldn't work with a product designed to be used for the purpose for which it is used...

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 8:30pm Is it an in-joke referring to that? Because the difference in views wouldn't work with a product designed to be used for the purpose for which it is used...

Jonathan
I assumed perhaps mistakenly (?) that you were alluding to the 'Zen Shim Question' which you have mentioned before on the forum.

http://www.hilarygallo.com/the-zen-shim-question/
All that Zen stuff make my head ache I'm afraid, I read the book once or twice, not for me.
Nu-Fogey
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Out washing my bike when I overheard this exchange between father and daughter over the back fence...

Dad: You're not getting your phone for at least a week."

Kid: "W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A!"

I know it's not really funny - modern technology can be more of a curse than an asset sometimes - but it did make me laugh.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I do hope that this is NOT a 1st April thing:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-h ... 0UK%20Only
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

djnotts wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 9:38am I do hope that this is NOT a 1st April thing:

Heh. In the wee small hours during a 1000k 10 years ago I really did feel that another rider was with us and riding just out of sight, slightly behind and to my right. Chum who's a bit on the religious side said "well, somebody was". :facepalm:
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Audax67 wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 2:46pm Heh. In the wee small hours during a 1000k 10 years ago I really did feel that another rider was with us and riding just out of sight, slightly behind and to my right. Chum who's a bit on the religious side said "well, somebody was". :facepalm:
Who is the third who walks always beside you? When I count, there are only you and I together But when I look ahead up the white road There is always another one walking beside you Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded I do not know whether a man or a woman —But who is that on the other side of you?
The Waste Land T.S.Eliot

Shackleton felt something like this on his small boat voyage to South Georgia.

https://www.rsgs.org/blog/sir-ernest-sh ... -third-man
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 3:03pm
Audax67 wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 2:46pm Heh. In the wee small hours during a 1000k 10 years ago I really did feel that another rider was with us and riding just out of sight, slightly behind and to my right. Chum who's a bit on the religious side said "well, somebody was".
Who is the third who walks always beside you? When I count, there are only you and I together But when I look ahead up the white road There is always another one walking beside you Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded I do not know whether a man or a woman —But who is that on the other side of you?
The Waste Land T.S.Eliot

Shackleton felt something like this on his small boat voyage to South Georgia.

https://www.rsgs.org/blog/sir-ernest-sh ... -third-man
That was on the trek across South Georgia, after the voyage of the James Caird.

Jonathan
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I have read of this somewhere else since then. Apparently feeling the presence of another is a kind of hallucination that most commonly occurs in cases of brain damage, but I'd not be surprised if it happened due to fatigue and sleep deprivation. Somaesthesia is the tech term.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 9:02am I have read of this somewhere else since then. Apparently feeling the presence of another is a kind of hallucination that most commonly occurs in cases of brain damage, but I'd not be surprised if it happened due to fatigue and sleep deprivation. Somaesthesia is the tech term.
Ditto! Walkers/runners on super-endurance events were mentioned - I probably noticed that due to post-Barkley-Jasmin euphoria - and I'm annoyed that my rubbish brain can't remember more of the details ...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 9:02am I have read of this somewhere else since then. Apparently feeling the presence of another is a kind of hallucination that most commonly occurs in cases of brain damage, but I'd not be surprised if it happened due to fatigue and sleep deprivation. Somaesthesia is the tech term.
Somaesthesia refers to any perceptions about the body.

I don't know a term for this other than Third Man and felt presence.

Jonathan
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Apr 2024, 9:42am
Somaesthesia refers to any perceptions about the body.
Gotcha. I was taking it as feeling the presence of another body.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A Farmer in Devon see's a bloke drinking from his stream & shouts,

"Wozzon! Ee dun wanna be drinkin dat,
it's full of horse p1ss an cow dung".

The bloke says "I'm from london and just purchased a property in the village can you speak bit slower please".

The Farmer replies "If - you -use - two - hands - you - won't - spill - any"!!!!!
I am here. Where are you?
rjb

Post by rjb »

During my apprenticeship I was seconded to a substation in Indian Queens in Cornwall. We were being instructed in the operation of the substation by an engineer with a strong local accent. My fellow students became quite agitated and later admitted to me they didn't comprehend anything he said.
Being a Devon lad from Plymouth I could manage the dialect. :lol:
BTW the locals use "tiz" not it's. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I have a fond(?) memory of sitting in a factory canteen in Cornwall when one of the other workers asked if a young chap was reading a motorbike magazine. The manager replied for him, "No, 'tis not a motorbike. 'Tis something you ride, but 'tis not a motorbike."
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Audax67 wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 2:46pm
djnotts wrote: 1 Apr 2024, 9:38am I do hope that this is NOT a 1st April thing:

Heh. In the wee small hours during a 1000k 10 years ago I really did feel that another rider was with us and riding just out of sight, slightly behind and to my right. Chum who's a bit on the religious side said "well, somebody was". :facepalm:
One of the funniest things I ever read was about a fellow on an audax ride whose pal fell asleep beside him but kept riding. His pal slumped over and rested his head on his shoulder, fast asleep, but they kept riding like that for several miles before his pal woke back up - his pal was still pedalling, but in his sleep!