Saddles: Giles Berthoud and Ergon

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
hamish

Saddles: Giles Berthoud and Ergon

Post by hamish »

Two saddles for sale. Neither suit my backside…

SOLD Ergon SMC Core Men's Saddle Size S/M. Used for one ride of about three miles. I hoped that this would be the one… but alas it didn’t work for me, although many people seem to love it. £90 posted.

It’s this one: https://bikepacking.com/gear/ergon-smc- ... le-review/

GILLES BERTHOUD Aspin Saddle Black. Again, fitted on bike, ridden for less than a mile. Not for me… sadly as it’s beautiful. I really wanted to like this one :-( £145 posted.
Attachments
IMG_1622.jpeg
IMG_1621.jpeg
IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1624.jpeg
Last edited by hamish on 7 Apr 2024, 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamish

Re: Saddles: Giles Berthoud and Ergon

Post by hamish »

A few better photos of the saddles.

I will put them on eBay later if no interest. Happy to discuss the price.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1645.jpeg
IMG_1644.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg
IMG_1649.jpeg
JohnR

Re: Saddles: Giles Berthoud and Ergon

Post by JohnR »

Unfortunately, I can't justify adding to my collection of Berthoud saddles. If you found the Aspin too hard, but otherwise the right shape/width, then I would note that the description "pre-softened" is misleading as I reckon they are baked hard after softening and moulding to the required shape. Before I fit one of those saddles to a bike for the first time I smother it with the Berthoud saddle wax and put into a warm oven so the wax quickly soaks in. Then, because I'm only 10 stone, I give the underside more wax and let that soak in as a second helping (heavier people find it easier to mould the saddle to shape). Leather saddles need patience and usually several hundred miles to deform to fit the rider.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti