Schengen Visa accommodation bookings when touring.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
peemaak

Schengen Visa accommodation bookings when touring.

Post by peemaak »

Are bookings for the whole trip required these days or has anyone managed to snag a visa with just an itinerary and proof of funds as we have done in the past. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mtb tourer

Re: Schengen Visa accommodation bookings when touring.

Post by Mtb tourer »

Are you not a UK citizen?
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Once you are in the Schengen zone you can go where ever you want as long as you do not exceed your visa conditions. No point in booking every night and no point in the authorities asking you to book every night.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Navrig wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 6:53pm Once you are in the Schengen zone you can go where ever you want as long as you do not exceed your visa conditions. No point in booking every night and no point in the authorities asking you to book every night.
Pre-booked accommodation is a requirement of a French or Swedish tourist visa, it may be the same for a Schengen visa. It's also a requirement of entry for those in a visa waiver, like UK citizens.

The required funds also differs on the french tourist visa depending on if the accommodation is a hotel (€60 per day) or not (€120 per day)

From the EU FAQ on Schengen visa waiver:

What documents do I need to show to the immigration officer at the port of entry?
You need to show your passport. In addition, you might be asked to also show documents proving
your purpose and conditions of stay (for example tickets for further journeys and return tickets;
reservation of accommodation; invitation letter in case of visits, conferences or events;
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

From the foreign office. You should check for whichever country you are entering as they seem to have slightly different requirements eg for what constitutes enough money. More brexit wins. Reminds me I need to book my insurance.

Passport stamping
At French border control, you may need to:

show proof of where you intend to stay, for example, a hotel booking or proof of address if visiting your own property
show proof of insurance for your trip – check FCDO’s travel insurance guidance
show a return or onward ticket
prove that you have enough money for your whole stay

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d%20ticket
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

It’s worth noting the use of the words ‘may’ and might’. They reserve the right to, but in my experience the last couple of years (UK passport, Dover) they stamp your passport with no questions asked. If people are understandably, but unnecessarily, apprehensive, would it be worth compiling a list (in too-good-to-lose maybe) of people’s experiences at other points of entry?
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Entering Norway in pre freedom of movement days was always a little fraught. I was a frequent visitor, work and holidays and believe it or not visiting places like Lofoten and climbing mountains was considered odd in those days (early 1990s). I was often invited to a wee room for a chat at the airport. Never refused entry but a good knowledge of the country's geography and an idea as to where I was going was very useful. I still think DNT membership saved my proverbial being a kind of proof of accommodation.

One visit did make things even worse and made the wee room interview inevitable afterwards. I had a business meeting in Oslo on a day when England's football team was in town with some damage. Then one year it just stopped - show password and on my way.

If a cycle tourist falls foul of immigration on the mainland, I'm sure we will hear about it here. It is reassuring that the chat is about what could happen.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm a bit confused reading this - do you or do you not have to show that you have pre-booked accommodation? I'm sure cycling friends who have been to France twice in recent years just turned up at campsites.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Slowroad wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 8:47pm I'm a bit confused reading this - do you or do you not have to show that you have pre-booked accommodation? I'm sure cycling friends who have been to France twice in recent years just turned up at campsites.
2 different things.

1. Will you be asked- probably not.
2. If asked what should you have and some countries require accommodation prebooked, others require a monetary amount you can draw on. I think France is maybe supposed to be accommodation. - worth checking before travelling or wing it and you probably won’t be asked.

I just checked and if you have reserved accommodation for the whole trip you need to demonstrate financial resources of 65€ per day. If not prebooked financial resources of €120 per day (presumably that includes evidence capacity on a credit card or bank statement ). You also need evidence of insurance.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

MrsHJ wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 9:06pm
Slowroad wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 8:47pm I'm a bit confused reading this - do you or do you not have to show that you have pre-booked accommodation? I'm sure cycling friends who have been to France twice in recent years just turned up at campsites.
2 different things.

1. Will you be asked- probably not.
2. If asked what should you have and some countries require accommodation prebooked, others require a monetary amount you can draw on. I think France is maybe supposed to be accommodation. - worth checking before travelling or wing it and you probably won’t be asked.

I just checked and if you have reserved accommodation for the whole trip you need to demonstrate financial resources of 65€ per day. If not orebooked financial resources of €120 per day (presumably that includes evidence capacity on a credit card or bank statement ). You also need evidence of insurance.
Hi, that's not correct, for Schengen it's pre-booked accommodation AND an amount of money per day. For France, it's €60 if that is a hotel, €120 if not a hotel (marina berths, homes, campsites). For Germany it was €58. https://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schenge ... ommodation

I've only been asked in Germany, just after lockdown and whenever I'm getting a Carnet stamp.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

French immigration is just a wee man in a hut in Dover. If he tried to check everyone’s hotel bookings and bank statements, most of Kent would come to a standstill.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The OP hasn't reappeared.

Please could we put all of this valuable expertise and experience in the Europe 2024 thread in order to increase the chance of the next person who needs it being able to find it.

viewtopic.php?t=158997

Thanks

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

These posts always amuse me.

OP posts an unclear question that needs clarifying. Does he need a visa, or more likely not. Never comes back to answer.

Replies were for non visa as per UK nationals. As far as I know, only roubaixtuesday has so far applied for an EU visa.

Onerous entry requirements apply to almost all countries, but are only a backstop to keep out undesirables or secure a bribe. I have entered the EU 4 times since 2021 with bike and never been asked anything.

Can you imagine the chaos at all entry points if every passenger had to make a full declaration of accom, cash, health, etc.
scragend

Post by scragend »

simonhill wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 5:04pm Onerous entry requirements apply to almost all countries, but are only a backstop to keep out undesirables or secure a bribe. I have entered the EU 4 times since 2021 with bike and never been asked anything.

Can you imagine the chaos at all entry points if every passenger had to make a full declaration of accom, cash, health, etc.
Indeed. Since 2021 I've entered the EU twice riding a bike and once with one on the back of the car, but a lot more times without (by car, by air and as a foot passenger on a ferry). With the bike, at Dover the French border control really couldn't have cared less, they just stamped my passport and sent me on my way. At IJmuiden I was asked how long I was staying. I replied "about a week". Yes that's fine, stamp, on your way.

A couple of times at airports I've been asked for the purpose of my stay ("holiday") but that's all. I've never been asked to show proof of accommodation or proof of funds. Most times it's just stamp and go.

I got more hassle from UK border control at the Channel Tunnel port in Calais when coming home with my bike on the back of the car than I ever have entering the EU.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

simonhill wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 5:04pm These posts always amuse me.

OP posts an unclear question that needs clarifying. Does he need a visa, or more likely not. Never comes back to answer.

Replies were for non visa as per UK nationals. As far as I know, only roubaixtuesday has so far applied for an EU visa.

Onerous entry requirements apply to almost all countries, but are only a backstop to keep out undesirables or secure a bribe. I have entered the EU 4 times since 2021 with bike and never been asked anything.

I've had some work visas since B-day - you get asked at the interview for the paperwork (except for an Olympics work visa, IOC rules take precedent there)

The only time I've been asked when not travelling for work was in Munich airport just after the final lockdown in Germany - they wanted to see your Covid paperwork so were stopping everyone anyway.

The worst place is Heathrow - utterly useless. It's as if no-one told them that there'd be an increase in paperwork checks needed. When you go down the red channel, most times it's empty, so you have to use the phone to get customs to come to see you.
A novice learning...