Ragleigh 20 + Chopper parts, pleae ID

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Ragleigh 20 + Chopper parts, pleae ID

Post by PT1029 »

CAn anyone confirm what parts these are?
NOS suspected Chopper or similar saddle: -
IMG_20220723_145023702.jpg
NOS suspected Raleigh 20 nylon headset plain bearing: -
IMG_20220723_145039708.jpg
IMG_20220723_145200308.jpg
Also, a good home is needed for the above items.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ragleigh 20 + Chopper parts, pleae ID

Post by Mick F »

Having been more been acquainted with a Chopper, that is definitely a Chopper saddle.
The nylon? bushes .......... I have no idea, but they ain't Chopper.

My blog on my JOGLE on a Chopper in 2010.
http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I suspect those bushes are the headset for a Raleigh Twenty.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pic here of a Raleigh 20 headset bush. I have a twenty but haven't ridden it far yet. It appears to be in good nick at present but I haven't inspected the headset bush. No idea if they are twenty bushes. But if the Id is 1 inch then a possibility.
RTnylonout.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Mick, thanks for the confirmation on this. I thought you would be our local Chopper expert!
Jim, thanks for having similar suspicions about the H/S sleeve.
RJB, yes that looks like the ones I have. What often happens is they get oiled, the plastic swell up and the headset is always stiff.

I think these are the final bits from the late father in law's workshop.

If anyone wants a random selection of split pins (more moped size than bicycle size), I have a tin's worth!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Bit more info with some sizes for the headset bush. 1" id and 1,1/8"od.
The ones shown have a locating lug at the base which the twenty dosent have
https://softyonabike.wordpress.com/2013 ... t-headset/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

I picked up another twenty locally to me but the steering is noticeably slack which probably indicates the nylon bush used in the top of the head tube is worn. I see folk have used an aheadset 1" top bearing to replace the bush but a couple of questions. Assuming the fork column is split to allow the existing clamp to support the stem, is there still room to refit the collar. If not then a standard quill stem may be needed which will have to be set very deep in the fork column to avoid stressing the fork column and premature failure. I know kingpin riders who did a similar mod suffered from this problem.
viewtopic.php?t=55637#p464222
I think the existing fork column is not threaded deeply enough to allow a Raleigh headset cup to be used either.
Any advice appreciated.
rjb

Post by rjb »

rjb wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 8:44am I picked up another twenty locally to me but the steering is noticeably slack which probably indicates the nylon bush used in the top of the head tube is worn. I see folk have used an aheadset 1" top bearing to replace the bush but a couple of questions. Assuming the fork column is split to allow the existing clamp to support the stem, is there still room to refit the collar. If not then a standard quill stem may be needed which will have to be set very deep in the fork column to avoid stressing the fork column and premature failure. I know kingpin riders who did a similar mod suffered from this problem.
viewtopic.php?t=55637#p464222
I think the existing fork column is not threaded deeply enough to allow a Raleigh headset cup to be used either.
Any advice appreciated.
IMG_20240410_145901.jpg
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Looks like a tidy example, I’m not mad about the colour but that’s mostly trivial.

To improve the rear brake try using stainless steel die drawn inner cables, I’m a tightwad but still think them well worth buying.

As a suggestion I think your bike - and questions - worth a thread of its own.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

rjb wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 8:44am If not then a standard quill stem may be needed which will have to be set very deep in the fork column to avoid stressing the fork column and premature failure. I know kingpin riders who did a similar mod suffered from this problem.
Raleigh 20 forks with quill-A head adaptor and sloping handlebar stem. The headset cup is of course threadless, but the hex nut and lock nut are original Raleigh threaded parts which allows the headset to be locked in position. Unthreaded black spacer below the hex nut.
Handlebar height here is 35" from the ground to the tops of the bars. I've been using this on and off for about 8 years.

Edit - I think the adaptor is by Genetic with 190-200 mm length, which gives 100-110mm inside the fork column in that photo.
100_1577.JPG
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks Tatanab for those measurements. I just had a look at mine and can see the bush is worn allowing the fork to rock back and forth. As suspected the fork column isnt threaded far enough to install a threaded headset so an aheadset looks the best solution. I'll have to give it a trial and see if it allows enough room to put the stem clamp back on as I won't need both locknuts. All my stems are too short to fit deep enough to clear the slot in the fork but I have a suitable length of 7/8 tube which will drop to the bottom of the fork and I could then shim it to use an ahead stem but this will need the clamp refitting. This is the fall back solution. The nylon bush is like the ones posted up thread with the locating lugs. :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tatanab wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 1:51pm Raleigh 20 forks with quill-A head adaptor and sloping handlebar stem. The headset cup is of course threadless, but the hex nut and lock nut are original Raleigh threaded parts which allows the headset to be locked in position. Unthreaded black spacer below the hex nut. .....
surely those are octagons not hexagons ?

FWIW some 24tpi headsets include an apparently surplus (second) full-threaded locknut; this can be used on a 26tpi steerer, in a pinch.

Almost any length of 7/8" tube can be turned into a quill stem adaptor if you go about it in the right way, so it can be any length you like.

p.s there are many ways of making a functional expander, so you don't really need the clamp.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Firecloud used to sell a BMX fork with a very long steerer and V-brake bosses, which was ideal for the R20 as you could get decent braking with 406mm wheels and fit a proper headset.