Eurostar to Brussel then Meuse EV19

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
birkhead

Eurostar to Brussel then Meuse EV19

Post by birkhead »

Plans for mid Aug are maturing, in my head at least. Trying to relive a past that has changed?
Objective: 2-3 weeks of easy cycling through French countryside and old villages, staying in small hotels etc
The constraints are no flying [for past 15 years], no long sea voyages, depart Dundee.
I have touring bike, partner has [heavy] ebike + 2 panniers each. 50-60km p.d.
Possible outward option:
DEE0634 ch/Embra KGX1248 Scotrail/LNER, LKX1504 Brux1805 Eurostar, Brux Namur c.1hr
The cycling target is La Meuse, heading S for sun. Some older posts suggest that there is too much pave, OK for MVDP but not for us.
The S part near Langres may be hilly but lovely?
Onward my eye was enticed by the Allier.
Steve X

Re: Eurostar to Brussel then Meuse EV19

Post by Steve X »

We cycled from tours up the Loire, through burgundy then onto Langres via Dijon.
Last year was bad weather, we actually started in Rotterdam but by time we got to bergues in France, we were sick of the weather and put bikes on train.
We loved the route we did apart from around Liege, but I would think usually burgundy might be too hot.
Also be aware the last 70 Miles or so approaching Langres, there is very very little in the way of shops for supplies.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

birkhead wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 11:38am Plans for mid Aug are maturing, in my head at least. Trying to relive a past that has changed?
Objective: 2-3 weeks of easy cycling through French countryside and old villages, staying in small hotels etc
The constraints are no flying [for past 15 years], no long sea voyages, depart Dundee.
Possible outward option:
DEE0634 ch/Embra KGX1248 Scotrail/LNER, LKX1504 Brux1805 Eurostar, Brux Namur c.1hr
The cycling target is La Meuse, heading S for sun. Some older posts suggest that there is too much pave, OK for MVDP but not for us.
I’m doing the Allier this year -leaving in about 6 weeks. If it helps there is a train between eg Langeac and Langogne on the Cevenol line (actually there are train lines pretty much throughout). You can also get a build up to it along the Loire. Happy to share my route if you are interested, want to look at elevation profiles etc.

I’ve also looked into trains back and there are a few options. Is train plus ferry ok as an alternative to Eurostar?

I haven’t done the Meuse yet- I’ve looked at it but I don’t love cycling in the NL on tour (although I really like it for general getting around cycling).

Agreed that the Loire is super gentle. The Rhone is similar.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

birkhead wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 11:38am Plans for mid Aug are maturing, in my head at least. Trying to relive a past that has changed?
Possible outward option:
Looks fun. In case you fancy missing London and Eurostar. We are Perth 10am - Newcastle then ferry to near Amsterdam. Then train to south of Bonn the next day. It is quite easy to get to, say Venlo, near the Meuse from Amsterdam by train.