Does anyone make a fully enclosed belt drive?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tommydog

Does anyone make a fully enclosed belt drive?

Post by tommydog »

Does anyone make a bike with a fully enclosed belt drive? This would have an advantage in keeping grit out etc and would potentially make for quite a low maintenance solution.
Nearholmer

Re: Does anyone make a fully enclosed belt drive?

Post by Nearholmer »

Don’t some hire bikes have this?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

tommydog wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 7:06pm Does anyone make a bike with a fully enclosed belt drive? This would have an advantage in keeping grit out etc and would potentially make for quite a low maintenance solution.
Belt drive is already very low maintenance. Enclosing the thing actually makes life more difficult in getting the wheel out, tensioning the belt properly etc.
George goodyear

Post by George goodyear »

rareposter wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 10:15pm
tommydog wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 7:06pm Does anyone make a bike with a fully enclosed belt drive? This would have an advantage in keeping grit out etc and would potentially make for quite a low maintenance solution.
Belt drive is already very low maintenance. Enclosing the thing actually makes life more difficult in getting the wheel out, tensioning the belt properly etc.
Agree.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

rareposter wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 10:15pm
Equally, an enclosed chain is low maintenance solution, but as noted above, when you do have to do work it makes it more of a faff.
But if you're going down the enclosed route it makes more sense to use a chain because you then get a lot more standard componentry available, no need for frame-splitter etc. etc.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus 1 for not required. Surely the main advantage of an enclosed chain is that the inherently sticky lubricant it depends on for smooth running is kept free of debris (and trousers...). I don't recall thinking I should have an enclosure when I ran a belt.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

rareposter wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 10:15pm Belt drive is already very low maintenance. Enclosing the thing actually makes life more difficult in getting the wheel out, tensioning the belt properly etc.
I don't see that as an issue. From what I gather, once a belt is setup properly, it does not need constant retensioning. Over the years I have seen plenty of photos online of belts being trashed by pebbles / grit, particularly if being used offroad. Fully enclosing the belt mitigates this issue. A fully enclosed housing, if designed probably, would not add much time to your workflow. Why would it not be better to keep the belt as clean as possible in a sealed environment?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If I was going to enclose anything, it would be a good quality well oiled chain. Less bother, last for aaaaaages… Job done.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

tommydog wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 4:35pm Over the years I have seen plenty of photos online of belts being trashed by pebbles / grit, particularly if being used offroad. Fully enclosing the belt mitigates this issue. A fully enclosed housing, if designed probably, would not add much time to your workflow. Why would it not be better to keep the belt as clean as possible in a sealed environment?
Nope - it adds extra weight, extra complexity and more things to rattle around and fall off.

In a "utility cycling" environment where belt drives are often used on e-bikes, e-cargo etc, you're not getting the issues of pebbles and grit so it doesn't need enclosing plus there's no oil etc to get onto clothing.

In a touring environment where you're doing huge mileage on a hub-geared bike potentially with long times between service intervals (and for a brilliant example of this look at CyclingAbout on YouTube), it's easy just to wash the belt with a quick squirt of water if necessary rather than deal with the extra weight and mountings of a chain guard.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

rareposter wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 6:32pm Nope - it adds extra weight, extra complexity and more things to rattle around and fall off.
I think thats taking it a bit far describing it as extra complexity. Its hardly rocket science - a few screws / bolts to hold it in place. I have had similar systems with chains over the years and never had a guard rattle around and fall off.

The washing the belt frequently, helps to mitigate things, but does nothing if you are unlucky enough to have some grit wedge itself when on the trail.

Nobody yet has presented an argument to me as to why this is a bad idea from the prospect of belt life.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

tommydog wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 7:09pm I think thats taking it a bit far describing it as extra complexity. Its hardly rocket science - a few screws / bolts to hold it in place.
Plus the design of the frame and the design of the chainguard to allow that. That actual "bolt X to Y" bit is easy but ensuring the frame is designed for that and the chainguard has sufficient flexibility to allow it to be mounted to various belt drive designs is indeed extra complexity and therefore cost.
tommydog wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 7:09pm Nobody yet has presented an argument to me as to why this is a bad idea from the prospect of belt life.
I, and several other people, have given you reasons why and you've refused to accept them. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's a non-issue to start with on what is already a low maintenance system and you introduce extra complexity, weight and cost for near zero real world benefit.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

tommydog wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 7:09pm
rareposter wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 6:32pm Nope - it adds extra weight, extra complexity and more things to rattle around and fall off.
I think thats taking it a bit far describing it as extra complexity. Its hardly rocket science - a few screws / bolts to hold it in place. I have had similar systems with chains over the years and never had a guard rattle around and fall off.

The washing the belt frequently, helps to mitigate things, but does nothing if you are unlucky enough to have some grit wedge itself when on the trail.

Nobody yet has presented an argument to me as to why this is a bad idea from the prospect of belt life.
Personally I don't think this is a bad idea as such - it's just that if you were going to add a belt case to a bicycle, you may as well make it a chain case (which would be more narrow) and use a chain and improve the efficiency of the transmission. You could even turn part of the chain case into a oil bath so that the chain replenishes itself with oil every revolution much like the old sunbeam bicycles .
Obtaing a more comfortable riding position https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/news/how- ... p-bar-bike
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I agree; if you are going to the bother of a case, it may as well have a chain in it. Needless to say, I have a much better, improved idea for both the chaincase as well as ongoing chain lubrication.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

The Hebie Chainglider does not require fixings on the bike and effectively keeps muck off the chain. It is much quicker to remove the rear wheel than with Dutch-style chaincase. It makes a small amount of noise. It would not fit a belt drive as it is too narrow and the rear adapter would not fit the larger belt sprockets. The concept would work, though. Why not ask Hebie if they could make you one?
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.