Flying bikes back from Tirana Airport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve

Re: Flying bikes back from Tirana Airport

Post by Steve »

They have the boxes, you need boxes and are well-off foreigners! Of course they expect to get something for them.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

coendejong wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 5:35pm Hope you don't mind me chipping in to the discussion.
We are planning something similar with a group of cyclists, end of Sep.

Was wondering what the best way to get from city center to airport would be when the bike is packed in such a box? Do taxis take you with bike and all?

And these polyester bags, what brand is good? Any recommendations? Is it always allowed or can airports / airlines refuse these?
Sorry missed this.

Yes you can take a bike box in a taxi, but will need a big one. The SUV type normally work or maybe an estate if they still use them.

I have folded a box flat and secured to bike. Cycling not easy, but OK if using train and pushing bike. In Malaga, I saw an American guy cycling while wearing the box on his head and hanging down behind like a cloak. Couldn't have been comfortable.

I have also used a bike bag. A Groundeffect one. For this I carried pieces of cardboard on bike to use to pad the bag, No problem with one of these bags on a plane, however using something like a poly bag you could be refused.
Attachments
IMG_20211205_130949.jpg
Screenshot_20240219-121310.png
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

coendejong wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 5:35pm Hope you don't mind me chipping in to the discussion.

Was wondering what the best way to get from city center to airport would be when the bike is packed in such a box? Do taxis take you with bike and all?

And these polyester bags, what brand is good? Any recommendations? Is it always allowed or can airports / airlines refuse these?
We used taxis for our 2 boxed bikes in Dubrovnik. A people carrier for the first trip, a Mondeo estate for the return. The latter was mighty tight!

It's the 3rd person that messes things up, a driver and one passenger is fine. An alternative is to use 2 taxis, if not far.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Rob D wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 2:16pm
It's the 3rd person that messes things up, a driver and one passenger is fine. An alternative is to use 2 taxis, if not far.
Or you can use public transport to airport for 3rd body (2nd passenger) if reasonable price.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

My hotel sorted out a lift to the airport for me in Tirana, with bike in box. I was on my own, but I'm sure something will be easily sorted out once you're there. I brought the box with me from UK and stored it at the hotel, so I can't offer any advise on getting boxes.