SUV driving “masculinizes” risk behavior in females: a public health challenge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
UpWrong

Re: SUV driving “masculinizes” risk behavior in females: a public health challenge

Post by UpWrong »

Shouldn't the main point be that there is an SUV effect with regards to the number of traffic violations? Or perhaps the authors felt that is an established thesis, whereas gender as a modifier of the SUV effect is novel?
Biospace

Re: SUV driving “masculinizes” risk behavior in females: a public health challenge

Post by Biospace »

A reminder perhaps that it's not only the idiot at the wheel? The nature of the car being driven clearly has an active as well as passive effect on road user safety. That the powerful petrol and diesel engines in SUVs are about to be replaced with even more powerful batteries/motors highlights how blinkered we are.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I do not have a car.

As females begin to dominate engineering,medicine, etc its not just us guys that love our status symbols.Many of the fast turbos/SUV's that whizz past my bicycle are driven by females.
Everyone loves the original mini,golf,micra etc.Each new model slowly expands.Some of the SUV'S have one or just two regular passengers.What might be fun is a supercharges turbo encased in a humble 60's Morris Oxford.That would turn heads on the M1.
PS is there really a need for automated rear boots,windows,sunroofs,seat adjustments? just more to go wrong and expensive dealership bills.

(although you have to factor in the safety factor).
I ride Brompton Hetchins 531
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 45705.html
March 2022
Mother who moved Insulate Britain protester with Range Rover admits dangerous driving
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

briansnail wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 2:18pm I do not have a car.

As females begin to dominate engineering,medicine, etc its not just us guys that love our status symbols.Many of the fast turbos/SUV's that whizz past my bicycle are driven by females.
Do they ?
Plenty females in medicine, but engineering ?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

When I last saw figures, 6% of the chartered engineers in the profession that I followed were women. It’s probably more than that now, but if it’s reached 10%, I’d be surprised.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

My wife wants an SUV. She believes she'll be safer in an SUV. I have told her she'd be more likely to have an accident in one and more likely to cause someone else an injury but no matter what I say she'll carry on wanting one. She can't afford one and I'm not biying one. When we are in the car together I refer to them as buses and call out the demonstrations of incompetent and stupid driving that we frequently witness. Bad drivers buy SUVs.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

UpWrong wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 3:29pm Shouldn't the main point be that there is an SUV effect with regards to the number of traffic violations?
There's a value of the car effect with regards to the number of traffic violations.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
peetee

Post by peetee »

Are SUV’s breeding bad driving habits or is it more likely that those drivers with bad habits are drawn to SUV’s?
I suspect the latter as many bad driving habits are a form of bullying or intimidation and having a more bulky vehicle makes this behaviour more effective.
Automotive bovver boots.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

So far as I read it, the paper identifies a correlation, and the authors raise both possibilities, that the car type influences driver behaviour, and that driver personality influences car choice. The authors say “Most importantly, we cannot differentiate between cause and effect “.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

When my partner was cycling to work she was always fearful of the mums on the school run - often driving a Range Rover or SUV - there seemed to be righteous entitlement that others should move aside while they transported their precious cargo (child) to school.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

peetee wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 11:13pm Are SUV’s breeding bad driving habits or is it more likely that those drivers with bad habits are drawn to SUV’s?
I suspect the latter as many bad driving habits are a form of bullying or intimidation and having a more bulky vehicle makes this behaviour more effective.
Automotive bovver boots.
I'm convinced this is the case, but I wouldn't expect it's a matter of one precluding the other. If a car makes you feel more important and less vulnerable (consciously or subconsciously) I would expect this to have an effect on driver behaviour. It's even possible for some that better vision from a higher position can create the idea that there is more room than there really is.