CTC polythene bike bags

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mgisbey

CTC polythene bike bags

Post by mgisbey »

Hey All,

I'm preparing for a cycle tour, and usually I purchae CTC clear bags from Wiggle / Chain Reaction Cycles. Unfortuanately, I can't find these bags any more.

I still have one bag left, and its label has a 'We are Cycle UK' on it, plus the description of the bag 127cmx245cm.

I have contacted Cycle UK and they have no idea what I am talking about.

Does any body have any idea on where I can find more? or some ideal alternatives?

Best wishes, Matt
Lottie

Re: CTC polythene bike bags

Post by Lottie »

A clear plastic mattress bag? They are the same thickness as the ‘CTC bag’.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I have contacted Cycle UK and they have no idea what I am talking about.
Then they are silly muppets! Sorry to hear that. I may have bought one of the last batches, by the sound of it :-/

I believe people often use mattress covers i.e. used as packaging for delivery - begged from bed shops? They are a vaguely similar size/material. Every town has a bed shop :-)
mgisbey

Post by mgisbey »

Thanks Lottie, yes I have heard of this, but was not sure on the thickness. I'll order one to check it out.
mgisbey

Post by mgisbey »

Thanks also mattheus - plenty of bed shops to pick. Memory foam mattress bag won't do though :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=157884

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 20 Apr 2024, 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Something I wrote on the previous thread about CTC poly bags back in Sept 23.

"I noticed on the cycling UK site about flying that they mention the poly bag as a means of packing a bike, but that they don't stock anymore as they aren't environmentally friendly. "

Johnathan that's not the correct link. Not sure which poly bag post you want so I'll leave it to you.
mgisbey

Post by mgisbey »

Any idea if the airlines (in this case BA) would accept a super light nylon bag , unpadded, black? As an alternative...
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Poly matress bags also available for purchase from many of those Self Storage places which seem to be everywhere in urban areas these days.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

mgisbey wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 5:30pm Any idea if the airlines (in this case BA) would accept a super light nylon bag , unpadded, black? As an alternative...
From BA's website:

Your bike can be transported in a hard-shell box or padded bike bag up to 190 x 95 x 65 cm (75 x 37.5 x 25.5 in).

https://www.britishairways.com/content/ ... -equipment

I'd just use a cardboard box. Available free (or very cheap) from all bike shops (although sometimes you'll have to give a bit of notice), can easily be disposed of / recycled once you arrive at your destination (handy if you're on a tour flying into one airport and out of another) and offer much better protection than a plastic bag plus there will be far fewer issues at the airport travelling like that - some airports / airlines really don't like those unpadded plastic bags.
mgisbey

Post by mgisbey »

Yes I've looked at the BA regs, but it's odd they have always accepted my bike (over 5 times) in the CTC bags , unpadded. So I was curious if I could get a simple lightweight cover, simply tell them it's padded inside. But I think I recall they like the CTC bags as they can see if anything has been packed that shouldn't have, once they told me I couldn't leave keep my frame bag on.

The challenge we've got with boxes is that we're arriving at one airport , but then departing from another airport more than 500km away , and in another country. There's a handful of us , so we've never liked our chances of each obtaining a suitable box from local bike shops... Maybe a little easier as a solo rider.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

mgisbey wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 5:30pm Any idea if the airlines (in this case BA) would accept a super light nylon bag , unpadded, black? As an alternative...
You can always pad this with cardboard. I carry a bag (see photo in link) and to airport I carry cardboard pieces on the bike rack that fit round the bike when I pack it.

For return I source cardboard from shops, bins etc.

Stick enough cardboard in and it's like a box with cover. Never been refused.

viewtopic.php?t=160169&start=15
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Someone kindly provided a link to strong mattress bags you can buy. I can’t find the link now but hopefully it will show up soon.

I got this one which looks fancier than the poly bag but is actually lighter and less bulky. Would still recommend padding eg bubble wraps for flying and you might need to pop your handlebars off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... th=1&psc=1
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 11:36am Someone kindly provided a link to strong mattress bags you can buy. I can’t find the link now but hopefully it will show up soon.
These?

https://www.helibeds.co.uk/heavy-duty-p ... -3740.html

Jonathan
mgisbey

Post by mgisbey »

Certainly cheaper than the old ctc bags , though a little shorter. Will try one out . Thanks a lot for the links.