Are you "Infected by a remainer mind virus"?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Are you "Infected by a remainer mind virus"?

Post by al_yrpal »

Thin end of the wedge to get hoards of East Europeans dragging down wages for the lowest paid UK citizens again and adding further to our already serious housing crisis - no thanks.
Back in the day you got married in your early 20s and if you had a decent job you could buy a house with a 25 year mortgage and start a family.
Now, young folk are having to do that in their 30s due to stupidly high housing costs. Why? Because the UK has become overpopulated.

Why cant people see the problem? Why cant it be addressed? Who is going to govern and address it?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 9:39pm ...
Ps.
Oh dear they already refused to countenance it.
Sad and sadder.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -eu-and-uk
It is sad, but it isn't surprising.

I'm very disappointed in Labour's response: there was an interesting opportunity to say nothing...

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 8:55am Thin end of the wedge to get hoards of East Europeans dragging down wages for the lowest paid UK citizens again and adding further to our already serious housing crisis - no thanks.
Back in the day you got married in your early 20s and if you had a decent job you could buy a house with a 25 year mortgage and start a family.
Now, young folk are having to do that in their 30s due to stupidly high housing costs. Why? Because the UK has become overpopulated.

Why cant people see the problem? Why cant it be addressed? Who is going to govern and address it?

Al
Given the immigration figures from last year (700,000+, the majority from outside the EU) I don't think that the above stands scrutiny.
Housing shortages are caused by those sorts of numbers wherever they are from.

And so is economic growth, which is the real dilemma.

The suggestion was (AIUI) for allowing some younger folk 4 odd years as a kind of working two way cultural exchange.
And very valuable it would have been too on many different levels.
Too many to list really.

Most EU citizens always returned home anyway, after a while living and working in the UK.

In another life, you Al, worked and conducted business with little or no red tape between the UK and the EU.
You made friends (and maybe money).
You still value those friend's opinions.
It could be argued your life was enriched by the very freedom of movement you now oppose for a new generation even in a more curtailed form.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Most of us have "freedom of movement" across the EU and around many parts of the world, subject to visa requirements, for visits and holidays. The only freedoms we gave up were the automatic rights to work and study in the EU or stay for longer than nearly all of us have time to anyway. I'll be visiting France this summer, and the main paperwork headaches will be the same as before Brexit: all the stuff to do with taking the dog with us, and their road traffic regs. I wonder what the price of diesel is like there these days. (Edit. Seems as though it is dearer than here. Oh well.)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 2:42pm [Given the immigration figures from last year (700,000+, the majority from outside the EU) I don't think that the above stands scrutiny.
Most EU citizens always returned home anyway, after a while living and working in the UK.
I am aware most of the present day immigration is not from the EU. In my recent experience in Devon folk from Bulgaria, Romania and Poland mostly didnt want to return to their country of origin. There were mass registrations to stay around here. I would like to see immigration severely curbed like many people, mainly because of the terrible negative effect its had on our young people.

As you live in the sticks and nicely housed you are probably unaware of the negative effects.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 3:05pm Most of us have "freedom of movement" across the EU and around many parts of the world, subject to visa requirements, for visits and holidays. The only freedoms we gave up were the automatic rights to work and study in the EU or stay for longer than nearly all of us have time to anyway. I'll be visiting France this summer, and the main paperwork headaches will be the same as before Brexit: all the stuff to do with taking the dog with us, and their road traffic regs. I wonder what the price of diesel is like there these days. (Edit. Seems as though it is dearer than here. Oh well.)
You gave up the right to live and work there.
And a fair few other benefits, the EHIC card springs to mind, and no free roaming on your mobile ( i believe they will all have stopped it by 2025).
And forced a lot of others who didn't want to lose those rights to have to do the same.
For no benefit whatsoever IMV.
Immigration to the UK, your main reason, for voting leave, has actually increased significantly.

You cannot have not seen all the negative economic stuff because of Brexit surely.
Or do you choose not to read it?

Diesel was a little cheaper than the UK in the French supermarkets that I used this last winter.
(But pay with a UK card (and cash for fuel is increasingly difficult in France) and the bank will pop on their charges.)
The loss of value in the Pound is the main factor IMV.
Brexit is a major cause of that.
France HAS increased it's diesel prices significantly over the last years as a "green and clean" policy direction though.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 5:22pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 2:42pm [Given the immigration figures from last year (700,000+, the majority from outside the EU) I don't think that the above stands scrutiny.
I am aware most of the present day immigration is not from the EU. In my recent experience in Devon folk from Bulgaria, Romania and Poland mostly didnt want to return to their country of origin. There were mass registrations to stay around here. I would like to see immigration severely curbed like many people, mainly because of the terrible negative effect its had on our young people.

As you live in the sticks and nicely housed you are probably unaware of the negative effects.

Al
AIUI,a huge number of Poles, particularly, left.

However, if one has employment and a home in any given country then one will stay on for a while at least especially if leaving entails losing pretty much a whole lifestyle forever, it's obvious.

Brexit has had a massive negative effect on young people in the UK.
They will vote accordingly.

I may be more cosmopolitan than you imagine!!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 3:05pm Most of us have "freedom of movement" across the EU and around many parts of the world, subject to visa requirements, for visits and holidays. ...
That's a very big "subject to". Example, my brother has been helping an aged uncle resident in Germany. He is suffering dementia like symptoms, his wife is not coping. Whilst they are wealthy, he wont accept any external carers except he seems to accept my brother. Yet brother can't spend much time there because if the 90/180 (he's already had to give up another trip he's been wanting to do for years because of the 90/180.

What you see as a trivial change might be trivial to you because it doesn't affect you. But others suffer major impacts thanks to your not appreciating not everybody is in the same situation as you are.

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

. And forced a lot of others who didn't want to lose those rights to have to do the same.
🤔 Just a thought, it’s not too onerous to consider. Those that didn’t like being in the EU had a similar view about its infliction on them … apparently there’s one set of rules and standards for some and another for others. :roll:

Right or wrong we held a vote and the result, arguably an unexpected result, was that the majority who took part voted to leave the EU. Those that complain about the result really do need to settle down and get on with making things work. In time the UK and EU will settle their differences and all will be well enough; eventually we’ll be back in the EU too, but the current older generation won’t see it and the (then) younger generation may see no value in joining.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Carlton green wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 6:25pm ... Those that complain about the result really do need to settle down and get on with making things work....
Why? There were so many lies during the campaign to the point where polls these days have a significant majority wanting us to rejoin the EU. One can debate as to whether this is because they've realised they were lied to or because what we were promised has proven to be very different from what we were given.

Even on a domestic level we are still suffering eg incomeptent politicians promoted to senior positions just because they were Brexit supporters whilst more capable politicians often not given senior posts because of the need for PM to demonstrate their "Brexit credentials".

To me, if something is wrong I feel I should say so. To do otherwise just allows a failure to go unrecognised and we learn nothing and repeat ... Things need to be corrected not swept under the carpet and pretending all's well isn't going to resolve anything.

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Psamathe wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 6:34pm
Carlton green wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 6:25pm ... Those that complain about the result really do need to settle down and get on with making things work....
Why? There were so many lies during the campaign to the point where polls these days have a significant majority wanting us to rejoin the EU. One can debate as to whether this is because they've realised they were lied to or because what we were promised has proven to be very different from what we were given.

Even on a domestic level we are still suffering eg incomeptent politicians promoted to senior positions just because they were Brexit supporters whilst more capable politicians often not given senior posts because of the need for PM to demonstrate their "Brexit credentials".

To me, if something is wrong I feel I should say so. To do otherwise just allows a failure to go unrecognised and we learn nothing and repeat ... Things need to be corrected not swept under the carpet and pretending all's well isn't going to resolve anything.

Ian
Why? Because getting upset about things ain’t going to change anything.

Were there lies in the referendum, doubtless there were and on both sides too. I certainly had no confidence in the remain arguments put forward and if they prove to turn out to be true then I’ll put it down to luck rather than anything else.

We’ve a general election coming up and hopefully a change of government. Whilst respecting the referendum result Labour will have a better relationship with the EU and bridges will be built, work on getting a better government elected and the rest will follow in time.

Carping about the EU referendum result just puts peoples’ backs up and focuses them on opposition; the way forward is working with people towards a better future rather than arguing with them.
Last edited by Carlton green on 20 Apr 2024, 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 5:54pm
pwa wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 3:05pm Most of us have "freedom of movement" across the EU and around many parts of the world, subject to visa requirements, for visits and holidays. The only freedoms we gave up were the automatic rights to work and study in the EU or stay for longer than nearly all of us have time to anyway. I'll be visiting France this summer, and the main paperwork headaches will be the same as before Brexit: all the stuff to do with taking the dog with us, and their road traffic regs. I wonder what the price of diesel is like there these days. (Edit. Seems as though it is dearer than here. Oh well.)
You gave up the right to live and work there.
And a fair few other benefits, the EHIC card springs to mind, and no free roaming on your mobile ( i believe they will all have stopped it by 2025).
And forced a lot of others who didn't want to lose those rights to have to do the same.
Immigration to the UK, your main reason, for voting leave, has actually increased significantly.

You cannot have not seen all the negative economic stuff because of Brexit surely.
Or do you choose not to read it?

Diesel was a little cheaper than the UK in the French supermarkets that I used this last winter.
(But pay with a UK card (and cash for fuel is increasingly difficult in France) and the bank will pop on their charges.)
The loss of value in the Pound is the main factor IMV.
Brexit is a major cause of that.
France HAS increased it's diesel prices significantly over the last years as a "green and clean" policy direction though.
The comment in bold is true, and I hold responsible various failings of the current and previous Governments for that. As I said at the time, I didn't expect Brexit on its own to bring about more balanced migration figures. But I knew that without Brexit, doing that would be impossible. I could suggest what else needs to happen for migration to be more in balance (where those coming in roughly match those going out) but I will spare you that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are many possible incremental improvements before we Rejoin. And they don't all have to depend on the over-centralised UK government in its death throes.

From Sadiq Khan's manifesto for re-election as the Mayor of London:
Brexit has had a profound impact on young people who didn’t get a say in determining the country’s future. One of the many casualties of Brexit has been the scrapping of the UK’s involvement in the Erasmus scheme, which allowed young people to take courses abroad. It’s not right that young Londoners are missing out on these opportunities. So I will work with international partners in the C40 cities network and businesses to explore the creation of a similar scheme, which would allow young people to study and undertake work experience overseas.
https://sadiq.london/manifesto/making-london-fairer/

Jonathan

PS: Students from Northern Ireland can already participate in the real thing, paid for by an adjacent state:
https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2023/072 ... s-funding/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tim-b wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 6:50am ...
"Antibiotic-resistant bacteria – known as “superbugs” – are a growing threat to human health, leading to an estimated 1.2 million deaths globally in 2019."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... for-humans

We really do need to look at our food chain more critically, regardless of origin
"Post-Brexit rules on antibiotic use on farms water down EU laws, experts say":
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... xperts-say

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 17 May 2024, 9:13am
tim-b wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 6:50am ...
"Antibiotic-resistant bacteria – known as “superbugs” – are a growing threat to human health, leading to an estimated 1.2 million deaths globally in 2019."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... for-humans

We really do need to look at our food chain more critically, regardless of origin
"Post-Brexit rules on antibiotic use on farms water down EU laws, experts say":
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... xperts-say

Jonathan
Antibiotic use is something that to me highlight the stupidity of the human race (or western civilisations) making me really question if as a species we have or deserve any kind of future.

I remember back when studying (that will be 45+ years ago) we were taught about the perils of antibiotic use and misuse. We were taught why, the scientific research, taught the various impacts and repercussions, etc. And since then nothing new in terms of what, how, why, impacts, etc. just we knew years and years ago yet profit before common sense or just mindless inaction in the face of the inevitable and ... it's all happening, just as identified many years ago and was widespread knowledge.

In the face of such stupidity does our species have any hope?

Ian