How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: How's your weather?

Post by gbnz »

djnotts wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 9:27am Strong wind a constant!
+ 1. It's been at least 5 days of gale type winds now. When is it going to stop :(
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

gbnz wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 12:20pm
djnotts wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 9:27am Strong wind a constant!
+ 1. It's been at least 5 days of gale type winds now. When is it going to stop :(
I've long since thought we should replace, or at least supplement, 'April showers' with 'April winds'. It'll get better in May, have faith (it always does).

Also, apart from anything else, I've come to the conclusion (as I expect have a lot of the rest of you!) that a headwind is no different to an ascent.

Headwind = hill, innit?
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

kylecycler wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 8:15pm ...

Also, apart from anything else, I've come to the conclusion (as I expect have a lot of the rest of you!) that a headwind is no different to an ascent.

Headwind = hill, innit?
A headwind can last all day. I've never met a hill that did.
peetee

Post by peetee »

kylecycler wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 8:15pm I've come to the conclusion (as I expect have a lot of the rest of you!) that a headwind is no different to an ascent.

Headwind = hill, innit?
I disagree. You can ease a hill by riding out of the saddle. Do that into a headwind and it just gets harder.
My partner always used to say that riding into a headwind was harder because it made breathing more difficult.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

The bit I really hate about the wind is it takes your awareness away from what might be about to pass

The wind was just unrelenting last week, I thought Scotland was not going to let me back in here
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The sun is shining -- I'm away for a ride
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was fine here on Monday.
I rode to Plymouth via a circuitous route and headed for the city centre from the east.

Going up Exeter Street towards (bombed-out) Charles Church Roundabout, I had to get off and walk! :shock:
The wind was STRONG against me and funnelling up by the tall buildings to my left, it was very hard work. I walked maybe 100yds until the wind abated as the road widened up at the roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.37158 ... &entry=ttu

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.37145 ... &entry=ttu
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 5:30pm The sun is shining -- I'm away for a ride

Well that was cold and windy but I was desperate -- it's been constant torrential rain for weeks.

Over cast and dark this morning not looking too good.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well despite natures best efforts over the last few days some of the blossom has survived and the bluebells are still standing. Feels like a wasted few days with strong annoying winds and the tempting blue skies beckoning you for a ride.

Al
IMG20240418094433.jpg
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Beautiful day today but a bit cold still at 3°c I ventured out for a good long well deserved ride this morning. Rained yesterday morning heavy but the weather turned for the better about midday.
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

Sunny, but cold in the Centre for the Cotswolds.
AKA De Sisti
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Beautiful warm sunny day here -- icy windows when I set off this morning -- went past a car sales forecourt and noticed I couldn't even see the big bold price signs inside the car windows they were so frosted up but the promise of a beautiful day was eventually delivered. Must be about 16°c now !
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

The best day of the year so far. I heard my first cuckoo and saw my first swallow of the year. I had a very pleasant bike ride around the east end of Lleyn as well.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Beautiful again today -- time to test the tent -- don't know when I'd get the opportunity next.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Back to Baltic with rain -- glad I got the tent checked out yesterday -- also got a 50 mile ride in. :)