Cycle Caravans

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
hamster
Posts: 4141
Joined: 2 Feb 2007, 12:42pm

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by hamster »

This is the Law of Conservation of Misery in action. Trade the mild discomfort of camping in a tent for daily misery of riding at 6mph with every hill a nightmare.

Note the one in the photo is pulled by an e-bike.
User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 6083
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by foxyrider »

hamster wrote: 5 Oct 2023, 8:28am

Note the one in the photo is pulled by an e-bike.
and your point?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hamster
Posts: 4141
Joined: 2 Feb 2007, 12:42pm

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by hamster »

foxyrider wrote: 5 Oct 2023, 8:57pm
hamster wrote: 5 Oct 2023, 8:28am Note the one in the photo is pulled by an e-bike.
and your point?
Strong circumstantial evidence that it's complete misery to tow it???

I simply don't comprehend what problem a cycle caravan solves.
  • If you dislike camping, fine, stay in B&Bs or cheap hotels and enjoy easy riding and/or more distance or the flexibility to hop onto a train.
  • If you want to get to out-of-the-way places then camp.
A bike caravan will not allow you to get to out of the way places (needing gentle gradients and decent surfaces), your options are seriously limited by the short distances you can ride in a day (and I have toured on a tandem with a 7 year old on the back and a 4-year old in a trailer).
It's the equivalent of those Victorian expeditions when they took along a mahogany dining table and piano. Complexity spirals outwards.
thirdcrank
Posts: 36799
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by thirdcrank »

hamster wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 8:40am
Strong circumstantial evidence that it's complete misery to tow it???
eg rjb notes that the image was taken at the Somerset Levels and that may be a bit of a clue about the typical gradients in the area ....
User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 6083
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by foxyrider »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 11:06am
hamster wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 8:40am
Strong circumstantial evidence that it's complete misery to tow it???
eg rjb notes that the image was taken at the Somerset Levels and that may be a bit of a clue about the typical gradients in the area ....
Have you ridden in the Levels? some serious % grades around there!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 6083
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by foxyrider »

hamster wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 8:40am
foxyrider wrote: 5 Oct 2023, 8:57pm
hamster wrote: 5 Oct 2023, 8:28am Note the one in the photo is pulled by an e-bike.
and your point?
Strong circumstantial evidence that it's complete misery to tow it???

I simply don't comprehend what problem a cycle caravan solves.
  • If you dislike camping, fine, stay in B&Bs or cheap hotels and enjoy easy riding and/or more distance or the flexibility to hop onto a train.
  • If you want to get to out-of-the-way places then camp.
A bike caravan will not allow you to get to out of the way places (needing gentle gradients and decent surfaces), your options are seriously limited by the short distances you can ride in a day (and I have toured on a tandem with a 7 year old on the back and a 4-year old in a trailer).
It's the equivalent of those Victorian expeditions when they took along a mahogany dining table and piano. Complexity spirals outwards.
Not with an E-bike, i've seen vids of folk tootling along at 20-30kph towing a bike caravan and covering reasonable distances at the same time.

Who said it solved a problem? What it does allow is for people who for whatever reason* find they can no longer tent camp but prefer the idea of camping on some level to paying out for bricks and mortar accomodation**. Its not for everyone but thats true of pretty much everything

* maybe health or mobility for example
** not everyone can afford or wants to spend in excess of £50 per night which is a typical b&b price these days
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Nearholmer
Posts: 4243
Joined: 26 Mar 2022, 7:13am

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by Nearholmer »

I’d always assumed that it fell into the “because you can” bracket.
donald.stewart.nj
Posts: 14
Joined: 8 Apr 2015, 1:21pm

Cycle Caravans

Post by donald.stewart.nj »

The first time I saw the KampRite camper I thought that I could use the tent part over a trailer like a Burley Nomad. Smaller and lighter than the bushtrekka. I know the tent is still quite heavy but i would use it on towpaths and flatter routes. I’d attach it with a hinge mechanism to be able to get at things in the trailer. It would make a nice afternoon siesta not having to really find a spot to pitch a tent.
pwa
Posts: 17550
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Anyone fancy towing a caravan?

Post by pwa »

hamster wrote: 27 May 2022, 5:14pm I'm still trying to understand what is the problem that this solves.

Don't like tents? Fair enough, stay in hotels / B&Bs / YHA etc.
Exactly. B&Bs weigh exactly nothing, on the road, and have lots of comfort advantages. Or use a tent. How long does it take to pitch a small tent? Fifteen minutes, including the fine tuning? Or drag around your own bodyweight in extra clobber! It reminds me of those folk who do running and walking challenges with a fridge on their back. :lol:
jimlews
Posts: 1495
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 8:36pm
Location: Not the end of the world.

Re: Cycle Caravans

Post by jimlews »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Oct 2023, 5:53pm I’d always assumed that it fell into the “because you can” bracket.
Think you're right.
Post Reply