Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread:
Yes. I want to travel by train from Bath to Norwich to ride the Rebellion Way, but I know from bitter experience the chances of doing this without problems are very low. Reserving a bike space means nothing, because of the issues already mentioned.
We live in South Oxfordshire. So our train routes east include starting at Oxford, Didcot or Thame and Haddenham. And there's a coach option.

Sticking to GWR routes... we've often taken two full-size solos, and occasionally a tandem and a solo to London. Often with full touring and camping gear.

So from Bath I'd go: train to Paddington, ride or Crossrail to Liverpool Street, train from Liverpool Street.

The cycling route across London is now OK, and here are the restrictions for bikes on Crossrail:
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycles ... -transport

The booking and accommodation aren't as good as I'd like but I wouldn't let that put me off.

Jonathan

PS: If you're not used to travelling by train in the UK remember to look for suitable railcards.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 9:09am From another thread:
From viewtopic.php?t=160719 - please keep replies with the original, or at least use the quote tool that inserts user_id else the questioner will not be notified of your reply.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 5:58pm Welcome

There's a vast amount on this in the archives, eg:

"Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)":
viewtopic.php?t=158863 [that's THIS thread !!! ]

"Non-standard Bikes on Trains":
viewtopic.php?t=160146&start=30

They include details of GWR provision.

Jonathan
There you go - now we have full traceability! Everyone can be happy now :-)

[except me - as I will continue to moan about this weird trend of anonymising quotes on the forum. Hey-ho ... ]
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread, and for the UK:
Do you know if there's a way of telling which stock will be on a particular service? Do any of the ticketing apps show this?
Discussion of www.realtimetrains.co.uk:
viewtopic.php?p=1827761#p1827761

Jonathan