Whether to split the thread 'Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)'

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Post Reply
User avatar
MrsHJ
Posts: 1871
Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 1:03pm
Location: Dartmouth, Devon.

Whether to split the thread 'Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)'

Post by MrsHJ »

I think it might help to split this thread between UK and Europe?

Moderator note - Split off from viewtopic.php?t=158863 and moved to 'Using the forum' for discussion of whether or not to split the thread 'Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)', and if so, how it should be split.

NB I am willing to split the thread if that is what members want, although it would be extremely time consuming to do it (the last one I did took the best part of an hour and only involved posts on a few pages). If it needs to be done, then so be it. However, as I have previously commented (viewtopic.php?p=1817535#p1817535), I think the default starting point for moderators should always be not to merge or split, i.e. avoid intervening as much as possible. Therefore I will not split the thread unless this discussion shows a reasonably strong and clear consensus, especially from those who are significant contributors to the thread and who are probably the best judges of the benefits and disadvantages of splitting.

slowster
Jdsk
Posts: 25378
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the dates, very helpful.

Jonathan

PS: But the UK is still part of Europe. : - )
User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 3584
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by TrevA »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Mar 2024, 5:23pm Thanks for the dates, very helpful.

Jonathan

PS: But the UK is still part of Europe. : - )
Yes, but having such a massive thread means useful information gets lost. Best to have a separate thread for UK and Europe, indeed you could even have separate threads for France, Netherlands, etc and inter-country.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jdsk
Posts: 25378
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by Jdsk »

TrevA wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 3:35pm
Jdsk wrote: 3 Mar 2024, 5:23pm ...
PS: But the UK is still part of Europe. : - )
Yes, but having such a massive thread means useful information gets lost. Best to have a separate thread for UK and Europe, indeed you could even have separate threads for France, Netherlands, etc and inter-country.
And that would result in even worse duplication than at present... as many tours cross borders.

The length of a thread doesn't make it harder to find information. Information doesn't "get lost" because it's in a long thread. And the search engine on this site is pretty good.

Jonathan
mattheus
Posts: 5201
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by mattheus »

Sorry, some harsh editing in the following quotes:
Jdsk wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 3:40pm
TrevA wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 3:35pm Yes, but having such a massive thread means useful information gets lost. Best to have a separate thread for UK and Europe,
The length of a thread doesn't make it harder to find information. Information doesn't "get lost" because it's in a long thread.
With respect that's an absurd statement!

My opinion is no more valuable than the next member's but i'd MUCH prefer to have had a
- UK trains thread, and
- EU/Continent trains thread
- And probably a separate Eurostar thread, as it behaves nothing like the other trains in any country!

Very little you learn about German trains is of relevance to UK trains. Sure, your tour may cross borders, but do you also want chain lube in the same thread - cos you're gonna use that on any international tour!

I know people just want to be helpful, but chucking all the info in the universe into 1 thread ain't the best way. Is Wikipedia one long page?

No. No it isn't.

<vacates soapbox>
Jdsk
Posts: 25378
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 4:10pm ...
I know people just want to be helpful, but chucking all the info in the universe into 1 thread ain't the best way. Is Wikipedia one long page?
...
Wikipedia is curated. This forum isn't, and that makes a crucial difference.

And a straw man argument about "all the info in universe" is a diversion. No-one has suggested that.

Jonathan
mattheus
Posts: 5201
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 4:17pm
mattheus wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 4:10pm ...
I know people just want to be helpful, but chucking all the info in the universe into 1 thread ain't the best way. Is Wikipedia one long page?
...
Wikipedia is curated. This forum isn't, and that makes a crucial difference.

And a straw man argument about "all the info in universe" is a diversion. No-one has suggested that.

Jonathan
It's not a straw man at all - as clearly this forum has more than one thread - it's just rhetorical hyperbole. :-)
User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 3584
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Whether to split the thread 'Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)'

Post by TrevA »

Why is it UK and EU, and not UK and Europe. What if you want to catch a train in Norway or Switzerland, are you expected to start a separate thread?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 7850
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Whether to split the thread 'Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)'

Post by Paulatic »

And the search engine on this site is pretty good.
Yes it is but we regularly witness examples of people never using it. Take a visit to Fb and read the continual stupid questions, Is there a hairdressers, When does ** open? etc Using a search engine must be a black art to some. :D

I'd split the thread purely for personal reasons. After deciding, years ago, I was never going to ride PBP I have zilch interest in riding in Europe. Living where I do and as someone who will never fly I consider it too much hassle and expense to get there. Whilst envious of some of the train services in Europe I’m only interested in U.K. trains.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattheus
Posts: 5201
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Whether to split the thread 'Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)'

Post by mattheus »

TrevA wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 9:37pm Why is it UK and EU, and not UK and Europe. What if you want to catch a train in Norway or Switzerland, are you expected to start a separate thread?
Because then some bright spark would moan that "Europe" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe#Li ... erritories )
includes the UK.
User avatar
mjr
Posts: 20400
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 5 Mar 2024, 4:10pm Very little you learn about German trains is of relevance to UK trains.
That depends where you are travelling in the UK. The Siemens Desiro is used around the Midlands, on the Transpennine Express and some routes out of St Pancras and Waterloo, but is also widespread in Belgium, Austria and of course Germany ( all with fairly good bike access). Eurostar's Siemens Velaro is also Germany's ICE3 and some of Spain's high speed trains (all with pretty poor bike access).

The rules may differ, but they differ between UK operators. The on train accommodation is rarely unique to the UK. I'd say keep train discussion across Europe as one.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk
Posts: 25378
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Merging, splitting and avoiding duplication

Post by Jdsk »

We've now got four or five active threads about bikes on trains within the UK. This isn't helping anyone to find the information that they need from all of the helpful responses.

BTTT so that we can discuss advantages and disadvantages of the different options away from the threads about bikes on trains.

Jonathan
Post Reply