Views on shared-use paths

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
JerseyJoe

Re: Views on shared-use paths

Post by JerseyJoe »

I actually fear for the future availability of shared user paths, as the ones I frequent are now full of gravel and electric bikes which are clearly deregulated, there's been a few accidents recently, small wonder, I regularly see people riding along at 35mph+, their legs hardly turning :oops:
mjr

Re: Views on shared-use paths

Post by mjr »

JerseyJoe wrote: 13 May 2024, 7:14pm I actually fear for the future availability of shared user paths, as the ones I frequent are now full of gravel and electric bikes which are clearly deregulated, there's been a few accidents recently, small wonder, I regularly see people riding along at 35mph+, their legs hardly turning :oops:
Those are not electric bikes. They have been turned into motorbikes and the police have plenty of powers from the days of mini-motos on shared paths that can be used to stop motorbike offences. I think we should be careful not to call them bikes or e-bikes when they are as much motorbikes as the Raleigh Wisp was a moped.

Anyway, shared use paths are out of fashion in the current manuals and shouldn't be used much in built-up areas. Dutch-style roadside lanes with kerbs up from the carriageway and down from the footway seem to be the fashion now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.