Why are the general population resistant to getting fit?

re_cycler

Re: Why are the general population resistant to getting fit?

Post by re_cycler »

Audax67 wrote: 15 May 2024, 8:37am Given the greedy gleam in the avaricious eyes of BFO Pharma, that's about to change. The price will skyrocket, too.
Is it not already around $20,000 USD for a years supply ?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

toontra: "How have we reached the point where it takes mass medical intervention to deal with a largely social problem?"

It's called "capitalism".
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

While not carrying excess weight is typically better than carrying excess weight, it's not the same thing as the thread title which is getting fit. Activity has huge benefits beyond helping not be overweight, and skinny people can be horribly and unhealthily unfit.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 15 May 2024, 8:37am
djnotts wrote: 15 May 2024, 7:55am ""New weight loss jab gold rush" is the headline on Wednesday's i newspaper as it leads with a new study which reports obesity injections could cut the risk of heart attacks and strokes in people even if they fail to lose much weight."
OK'd by the NHS, too, yet in other countries Semaglutide is prescribed primarily for treating Type 2 diabetes - ISTR that the US NIH says that it is not a weight-loss drug.
I recommend reading the NICE guidance on Semaglutide:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta875/ ... nforpublic
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta875/ ... mendations

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I thought I'd read a year or so ago that Ozempic (semaglutide) had been approved by the FDA for obesity, and is undergoing trials for cardiac applications too.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 15 May 2024, 4:16pm I thought I'd read a year or so ago that Ozempic (semaglutide) had been approved by the FDA for obesity, and is undergoing trials for cardiac applications too.
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... obesity-or

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

^ Think I'll give it a miss:

"Wegovy also contains warnings for inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), gallbladder problems (including gallstones), low blood sugar, acute kidney injury, hypersensitivity reactions, diabetic retinopathy (damage to the eye's retina), increased heart rate and suicidal behavior or thinking. "
toontra

Post by toontra »

Life-long medicalisation of people (as I understand the use of the fat-busting drugs require) should be a last resort IMO. 18 years ago, at the age of 50, my GP suggested I go on statins, based solely on a headline cholesterol test result. I was otherwise extremely healthy, doing lots of audaxes and other long-distance cycling and weight training. I declined the offer. I'm still alive and doing as much cycling, running, gym as I did then if not more.

Drugs have side effects! I'd try everything else first, starting with improving fitness and diet.