Cinelli Quill Stem. Help required please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Cinelli Quill Stem. Help required please

Post by pwa »

joost wrote: 15 May 2024, 7:11pm It’s for a ‘retro’ vintage ride. I think you must have down-tube levers, brake cables exiting from the top of lever, clips/straps and either steel or aluminium bonded frame.
Ah! Well, from distant memory, be careful that shoe laces (if you use them) don't get tangled up in the clips. I had a bit of a tumble that way. When did clipless first come in? Mid to late 1980s?
joost

Post by joost »

The mid 80’s I think . I first got Look pedals around in the late 80’s and still use black delta plates.
pwa

Post by pwa »

joost wrote: 15 May 2024, 7:50pm The mid 80’s I think . I first got Look pedals around in the late 80’s and still use black delta plates.
I used to visit Harry Hall's lovely basement emporium in Manchester for special bits and pieces back then, including the odd Cinelli item. But I was using clips and straps until the late 1990s, by which time I was looking rather retro. Good luck with those. I haven't used them in a long time.
joost

Post by joost »

Harry Hall’s original shop was the most exciting place to visit as a cycling obsessed schoolboy, I still have my HH winter hat 😃
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pwa wrote:....When did clipless first come in? Mid to late 1980s?
I don't know exactly when they were invented, but you could have bought cinelli? pedals years ago, that were clipless, starting maybe in the 1970s . LOOK pedals first appeared in about 1984; the design owes much to LOOK ski-bindings, which came first. Not everybody can safely use the black (no float) cleats, and a lot of people I knew changed to the red (floaty) cleats as soon as they came out, a few years later.

IIIRC speedplay has an online pedal museum which is quite good.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Don’t forget nailed on metal cleats and Alfredo Binda toe clip straps. Those were the days, eh?😀
joost

Post by joost »

I remember the fast ‘testers’ have the Cinelli pedals, they looked very cool but scary!