Car roof carrying

Geogcyclist

Car roof carrying

Post by Geogcyclist »

Hi
I’m looking for advice on carrying four bikes, 2 adults 2 kids
I don’t have a tow bar so I think the cheapest route is probably on the roof, tow bar fitting sounds expensive and the car is getting old.
I already have a pair of Renault roof bars.
What brand of bike holder can I use with these bars? Are fittings universal? Or do I need to get a new set of roof bars to match the carriers? Our bikes aren’t mega expensive and I would probably be driving at most an hour with bikes rather than a big holiday. I mean I want to be safe but I probably don’t need to lock them on the roof
Thanks
Barrowman

Re: Car roof carrying

Post by Barrowman »

I like 'San Remo' Fittings . Search it on e Bay. It's a front wheel out job . (I am not keen on clamping around the frame tubes which front wheel in carriers rely on )
The San Remo are a paired Alloy block that fit around your existing roof bars , quick release at the front and a wheel channel at the back with strapping provision.
Note from my tame cycle mechanic, have the bikes facing backwards if you can, reduces stress on the Headset.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

A picture of your Renault roof bars would be useful. Most bike racks attach to the roof bars using either T bolts or U bolts, some can accommodate both. To use T bolts the roof bars require a corresponding machined T track. U bolts are generally used with square section roof bars.
I’ve carried up to 4 bikes on the roof using Thule ProRide 591 racks. The bikes stand upright and are steadied by an arm that clamps around the downtube. As far as I know the Thule ProRide racks are compatible with all Thule roof bars. Whatever rack you choose make sure that it can accommodate the children’s smaller bikes.

PS
Gumtree is a good source of secondhand bike racks, the ProRide racks generally sell for around fifty to sixty pounds but you may well get a better deal if buying more than one.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Fittings are not universal. But solutions are usually available.

Please add some photos, as above.

And if you go to Halfords you can rummage around in the boxes and see what you need. (I have heard that they have a paid fitting service but I've never used that.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Geogcyclist wrote: 31 May 2024, 12:13am ...
I mean I want to be safe but I probably don’t need to lock them on the roof
When they're on the roof I lock them to each other and the rack, but that's it. Make sure that the lock can't fall and damage anything.

Jonathan
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Geogcyclist wrote: 31 May 2024, 12:13am Hi
I’m looking for advice on carrying four bikes, 2 adults 2 kids
I don’t have a tow bar so I think the cheapest route is probably on the roof, tow bar fitting sounds expensive and the car is getting old.
I already have a pair of Renault roof bars.
What brand of bike holder can I use with these bars? Are fittings universal? Or do I need to get a new set of roof bars to match the carriers? Our bikes aren’t mega expensive and I would probably be driving at most an hour with bikes rather than a big holiday. I mean I want to be safe but I probably don’t need to lock them on the roof
Thanks
What is the weight of the bikes and racks and what is the max weight you can put on the roof?
Geogcyclist

Post by Geogcyclist »

I don’t know the exact weight
My bike she the kids are aluminium so the total weight should be okay
Geogcyclist

Post by Geogcyclist »

Jdsk wrote: 31 May 2024, 12:34pm Welcome

Fittings are not universal. But solutions are usually available.

Please add some photos, as above.Image

And if you go to Halfords you can rummage around in the boxes and see what you need. (I have heard that they have a paid fitting service but I've never used that.)

Jonathan

Sorry , I can’t see how to add photos
Are square bars standard for cycle carriers?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Geogcyclist wrote: 4 Jun 2024, 8:21pm ...
Sorry , I can’t see how to add photos
Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2024, 1:20pm You can link to images on another server or upload them here.

To upload them here... open a Reply post, click on the Attachments tab and then on the Add files button.
Jonathan
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Replacement Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross sunroof £1200 after bike fell over LOL
Attachments
Img_1583.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud