Sun Race freewheels, eg 6s vs shimano MF-HG22

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Re: Sun Race freewheels, eg 6s vs shimano MF-HG22

Post by rjb »

Brucey wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 12:33pm
cycle tramp wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 8:13am.....By the way- If anyone does know the name of that tool, please let me know :-)
I have removed this lockring using a hammer and punch, but I had always intended to make a better tool, which should not be difficult. First you SG a piece of 1/4" steel plate to about 50mm diameter and mark it out for drilling such that you have one drilled and tapped M5 hole centred on every cutout in the lockring that you want to drive with a peg. The pegs are made by grinding the ends of 12mm or 16mm 12.9 grade caphead screws. These are held in place using locknuts. A connector nut can be welded onto the plate; this will allow the tool to be held. If you enlarge the centre hole prior to welding, the tool can be prevented from slipping in use using a length of studding or similar.
Sorry Brucey, what does SG mean :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

rjb wrote:....Sorry Brucey, what does SG mean :?
SG = Spin Grind; look for my post entitled 'how to SG' if you want to know more.

FWIW if you have no welding skills/facilities, it matters not; you can bolt a handle in position using the peg bolts.
Last edited by Brucey on 11 Jun 2024, 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

drossall wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 1:21pm
cycle tramp wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 11:54amBlimey mate- where were you during the late 80's? -you couldn't move for stainless steel 24 tooth, 74bcd chainrings.....
True, but it's no longer the late 80s, or so they tell me. Not sure how easy it would be to get one to suit now.
... .tell me about it - music's terrible now.... I miss the power ballads, big hair, music in major keys only, simple lyrics and a complete lack of irony...
Obtaing a more comfortable riding position https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/news/how- ... p-bar-bike
rjb

Post by rjb »

Brucey wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 3:50pm
rjb wrote:....Sorry Brucey, what does SG mean :?
SG = Spin Grind; look for my post entitled 'how to SG' if you want to know more.

FWIW if you have no welding skills/facilities, it matters not; you can bolt a handle in position using the peg bolts.
Thanks Brucey.
Here it is in case anyone missed it. :wink:
viewtopic.php?t=158659#p1806470
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D