UK Politics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: UK Politics

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Jun 2024, 2:03pm By the way Cugel, please tell me you are not an alien?

Al
Who knows? I definitely have feelings of alienation from, oh ..... all sorts, especially many humans.

Perhaps I yam Mork from Ork's black sheep brother, banished from Ork for insufficient niceness but yet to realise it?

Nanu Nanu.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Rishi Sunak aide placed bet on election date days before announcement";
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ar ... nouncement

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"We keep hearing the next government is going to be grim: there's very little money, and many problems to tackle.
So to cut through the gloom @TheNewEuropean asked 15 experts for one small thing – relatively cheap, relatively simple – that would make things better."

https://x.com/jamesrbuk/status/1800846035788722391

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Jun 2024, 9:26pm "We keep hearing the next government is going to be grim: there's very little money, and many problems to tackle.
So to cut through the gloom @TheNewEuropean asked 15 experts for one small thing – relatively cheap, relatively simple – that would make things better."

Jonathan
I clicked the link and I'm none the wiser,it just takes me to X/Twitter with any answers???
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 13 Jun 2024, 9:05am
Jdsk wrote: 12 Jun 2024, 9:26pm "We keep hearing the next government is going to be grim: there's very little money, and many problems to tackle.

I clicked the link and I'm none the wiser,it just takes me to X/Twitter with any answers???
I've just clicked it and see 15 answers from "experts" and subsequent contributions and discussion from others.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Jun 2024, 9:07am

I've just clicked it and see 15 answers from "experts" and subsequent contributions and discussion from others.

Jonathan
Do I have to sign up to X to see those?
On the right hand side I'm getting "something went wrong" and "retry" but it doesn't help. :?
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 13 Jun 2024, 9:12am
Do I have to sign up to X to see those?
On the right hand side I'm getting "something went wrong" and "retry" but it doesn't help. :?
I'm sorry but I don't know how access is controlled. I suggest logging in with a single use account.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'll give it a miss thanks.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jonathan
I get nothing or rather just
Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 10.37.15.png
Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jun/13/general-election-labour-manifesto-keir-starmer-rishi-sunak-conservatives-plaid-cymru wrote:General election live: Labour says wealth creation is ‘number one priority’ as it prepares to launch manifesto
To me it's as important to keep Starmer out as it is to keep Sunak out. They are two sides of the same coin.

What about NHS, Social Care, Climate Change. poverty, law and order. Of all the things Labour could put "top priority" wealth creation which invariable benefits the already wealthy should be far down the list.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Jun 2024, 10:37am
reohn2 wrote: 13 Jun 2024, 9:05am I clicked the link and I'm none the wiser,it just takes me to X/Twitter with any answers???
I get nothing or rather just
Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 10.37.15.png
With no responses to that?

As above: I suggest using a one-time login. Or ignoring it, but that would be a pity as some of the suggestions are quite interesting.

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Meanwhile there is one sentence about Active Travel in the Lab manifesto. I'm hoping there has been some lobbying by CB/CUK/etc behind the scenes and the detail is to follow
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Every time these politicians (of all flavour) keep spouting things like "we have a plan", "making difficult decisions", "We have changed" all I can think is:

Re: "We have a plan": What is needed is a good plan not any old plan. I can plan to jump out of an aircraft without a parachute and that is a "plan", just a very bad plan with a bad outcome.

Re: "making difficult decisions": What we need is good decisions. With my plan to jump out of an aircraft without a parachute, standing in the doorway the final decision to jump is a "difficult decision". At that point what is needed is a "good" decision.

Re: "I/We have changed ...": things can change for the worse. What is important is that nature of the change. We need change for the better not change for the worse. It's not change that is important it's a question of what's being changed to.

etc.

They seem to think that any plan/decision/change is good enough for us. We deserve better.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Labour lost my vote the second they spoke out loud their intention to cow-tow to the motor faction... they can stuff it.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I posted previously about my indecision. Should I add my tiny weight to try to remove a blue wall Tory, or should I use it to nudge the probable next government in the direction I feel is most important?
The arguments of some posters here, and of George Monbiot in The Guardian have convinced me that I should follow my heart and my head.
The manifestos have hardened my resolve.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?