Wood varnish recommendation

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Wood varnish recommendation

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 8:51pm
pwa wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 8:44pm ... But will wood treated with any of those handle a hot cuppa without marking? Will they cope with a disinfectant spray (which I never use but other household members insist upon)?

The oak coffee table beside me now has a polyurethane coat that appears thin, isn't overly shiny or gloopy, and has probably been coping with hot drinks and the occasional bit of bike oil (while the Missus is out) for the best part of thirty years. And it still looks good. It hasn't been re-done in all that time. For utility, you can't beat that.

Our oiled timber furniture is things not to do with food. Our huge birch veneer wardrobe is about thirty years old too, and has just had a wipe with stinky linseed oil once a year. It seems to work.
My kitchen table (approx 12/13 years old now) oak and treated when built with Osmo Polyx and still no marks. Used as kitchen table and desk every day and never re-treated, never needed touch-up and doesn't need it.

Not saying oil is the only tough treatment but the term "oil" encompasses a lot of products some brilliant some rubbish.

Ian
Never heard of it, but you are "selling" it to me.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 8:54pm
Psamathe wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 8:51pm
pwa wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 8:44pm ... But will wood treated with any of those handle a hot cuppa without marking? Will they cope with a disinfectant spray (which I never use but other household members insist upon)?

The oak coffee table beside me now has a polyurethane coat that appears thin, isn't overly shiny or gloopy, and has probably been coping with hot drinks and the occasional bit of bike oil (while the Missus is out) for the best part of thirty years. And it still looks good. It hasn't been re-done in all that time. For utility, you can't beat that.

Our oiled timber furniture is things not to do with food. Our huge birch veneer wardrobe is about thirty years old too, and has just had a wipe with stinky linseed oil once a year. It seems to work.
My kitchen table (approx 12/13 years old now) oak and treated when built with Osmo Polyx and still no marks. Used as kitchen table and desk every day and never re-treated, never needed touch-up and doesn't need it.

Not saying oil is the only tough treatment but the term "oil" encompasses a lot of products some brilliant some rubbish.

Ian
Never heard of it, but you are "selling" it to me.
Cugel was recommending a variant better for furniture (same manufacturer, just a variant of the standard polyx). I first used it on my oak flooring, I replaced downstairs boards with new oak boards and used polyx and was impressed and started using it on furniture I made (from the old boards). Others I've suggested it to still use it on furniture.

But to counter my own recommendation, if you have a solution that works well for you then that's a good argument for sticking with what you know.

Ian
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Here's a good article on hard wax oils from the current Fine Woodworking magazine:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2024/06 ... l-finishes

It concludes with a recommendation for the Osmo Poly as the best all rounder if not the best for every particular evaluation criterion.

There's a lot of good info about such oils in the article. Many of them, though, are probably available in North America only.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for the link to an interesting article, Cugel. Once I read the line “foolproof wipe-on/wipe-off application, a beautiful glow, and easy repair…” I knew I was in the right place. :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)