Mayo - or salad cream…?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which is your favourite?

English summer salad cream sauce, made by Heinz
38%
Funny foreign mayonaisse, made by Hellmann’s
44%
No thanks - I make the one I want by hand
6%
Don't care who makes it - I just buy the cheapest…
13%

Total votes: 16

simonineaston

Mayo - or salad cream…?

Post by simonineaston »

I vaguely recall when Hellmann’s mayonnaise began to get a significant market share here in the UK. Middle class families like mine had always been a bit sniffy about salad cream and food writers like Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson had sown the seed that real mayonnaise was the dividing line between U and non-U - at least at the dinner table.
These days, when the negative aspects of processed food form the basis of books and articles everywhere you look! it’s easy to dismiss both products as factory-made and inferior, but this recipe for making salad cream at home reminds us of exactly what a faff it was.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/articl ... SApp_Other
So, dear reader, what is your preference - mayo or salad cream and do you take either with you when out cycling, either in a sarnie, or else in the form of plastic sachets, to add to your bijoux picnic?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cugel

Re: Mayo - or salad cream…?

Post by Cugel »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2024, 9:43am I vaguely recall when Hellmann’s mayonnaise began to get a significant market share here in the UK. Middle class families like mine had always been a bit sniffy about salad cream and food writers like Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson had sown the seed that real mayonnaise was the dividing line between U and non-U - at least at the dinner table.
These days, when the negative aspects of processed food form the basis of books and articles everywhere you look! it’s easy to dismiss both products as factory-made and inferior, but this recipe for making salad cream at home reminds us of exactly what a faff it was.
So, dear reader, what is your preference - mayo or salad cream and do you take either with you when out cycling, either in a sarnie, or else in the form of plastic sachets, to add to your bijoux picnic?
Goos in bottles of plastic from sloppermarkets!? No, no, no - they will UPF you until you swell up so much that you can no longer pedal.

Various delicious creamy slops for easing down the drier and lumpier foods are easy enough to make. One doesn't have to go all French-complexity about it. Mind, I yam being a hypocrite here as its the ladywife who churns up the food slops, and all the other edibles, in our house. I just test them in case they aren't perfect, by eating rather a lot (i.e. all) of them.

I would ask her to give you a recipe but you state that you are "middle class". You'll probably have nothing to do with anything that isn't from John Lewis or the "aspirational" slopermarkets, then. :-)

PS We could have a long and contentious discussion about the Bwitish clarsses - their identification by means of where they shop and what they buy. However, regional differences (all 689 of them) would complicate the matter.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I switched from SC to mayo because it was in smaller containers that I could finish within the use by date, then when my calorie intake declined along with my exercise levels I stopped buying it altogether because I still couldn't finish it all in time. My egg consumption also dropped along with the egg mayonnaise sandwiches, but I still eat a few fried egg sandwiches instead.

What's U and non U?
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m a salad cream man for sentimental reasons. My maternal grandfather was head gardener on a country estate, and we used to spend each summer with our grandparents and my mother’s younger brothers at their “cottage”, actually a decent-sized house. The trip involved two bus rides, and two train rides, including the transit of Waterloo Station, and was the highlight of my year. Our grandmother would have a big salad ready for our arrival, all home-grown stuff, homemade bread, thick slices of home-cooked ham, and ……. salad cream.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Probably my fave summertime meal is a dressed crab salad - new potatoes, lettuce, radish, toms, spring onions, sliced beetroot and... salad cream!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2024, 4:23pm Probably my fave summertime meal is a dressed crab salad - new potatoes, lettuce, radish, toms, spring onions, sliced beetroot and... salad cream!
Oooh - one of my favourites too, often supplied by Len the Fish and Becky the Froot ..... so why ruin it by dolloping on that bottled UPF gung?

They put addictive additives in there, you know. Eventually you start stealing the loose valuables of all around to feed your habit, spooning the gung straight from the bottle into your eager maw until its empty, tossing the empty into the street, where it shatters to cut the paws of passing pussycats.

Or so I imagine. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2024, 9:43am I vaguely recall when Hellmann’s mayonnaise began to get a significant market share here in the UK. Middle class families like mine had always been a bit sniffy about salad cream and food writers like Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson had sown the seed that real mayonnaise was the dividing line between U and non-U - at least at the dinner table.
I thought that recipe is quite simple.
Richard M
Cardiff
iseree321

Post by iseree321 »

Personally, I'm a mayonnaise convert. While Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson may have championed it for posh dinners, it's become a delicious and versatile staple
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Gosh, I am getting tired of controversial topics on here!

:wink: :wink:

p.s. mayo for me
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Mrs was once poisoned by a sandwich slathered in Mayo purchased from a boulangerie in Deaville. Since then I have avoided it.
Any Aldi sauce for me, Heinz a total rip off (including overpriced HP Sauce and Heinz Tomato Sauce)

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
toontra

Post by toontra »

Salad cream - it's more tangy so goes better with strong flavours. Unfortunately I've yet to find a substitute for Heinz - all the ones I've tried have a nasty bitterness (too much mustard?) so I bite the bullet and pay the outrageous sum for the original. But it does last me a long time!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a slightly obscure aside, one of my favourite picnic treats when in rural Brittany used to be a portion of home made celeriac rémoulade from the nearest traiteur. Now older and wiser, I realise that the gloop binding the julienned root was made (at least, it was at the best of the shops...) with added horseradish, mustard, pepper and lemon juice. The eagle-eyed foodie will recognise these ingredients as being more "English summer salad cream" than plain, ordinary mayonaisse.
S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Helman's mayo from Lidl on me chips,love it.I don't eat it on anything else.
On salads I like Pizzeria Honey Mustard dressing.
I only ever have Tomato sauce on scrambled eggs on toast.
Salad cream,yuk! YVMV
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2024, 4:23pm Probably my fave summertime meal is a dressed crab salad
Am I imagining things, or did Tesco & Sainsburys used to sell tinned crab? If they still do, they've got it well hidden.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche