Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
wjhall

Re: Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Post by wjhall »

Is that 'Open' in the everday meaning of the word, without qualification?

The photos suggest that you have ridden it throughout, is that correct?

Was it a low key opening or a ceremonial affair with brass band, Te Deum, Lord Lieutenant in uniform, Mayor in chain, beer and refreshments for the workers, fine dining for the eminent and so on?
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Yes it is now open. I'm planning to ride it tomorrow.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Rode through today, They've got a bit carried away with all the gates and care is needed at the actual sluice - some patches of deep chippings and a couple of quite big drainage channels across the full width.

Plenty of bikes going through which will no doubt annoy the burghers of KS and quite apart from cutting a lump out of the Weston / Clevedon journey its a lot more pleasant than the A370 and safer too!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

My ghasts are flabbered
rjb

Post by rjb »

I consider myself lucky when I cycled this route some 20 years ago when the sluice was having a major upgrade. Construction traffic was accessing the site from both sides so there were no barriers to cross and one could ride straight through. No elfin safety barriers in those days. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

foxyrider wrote: 9 Jul 2024, 10:50pm Rode through today, They've got a bit carried away with all the gates and care is needed at the actual sluice - some patches of deep chippings and a couple of quite big drainage channels across the full width. ....
So that's 'Open' in the local authority meaning of the word, one snagging error and one design fault, on a charitable interpretation. Add them to the list with the flawed bridleway gate on the path from Lower Strode Road to the Tideway.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

wjhall wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 10:50am Add them to the list with the flawed bridleway gate on the path from Lower Strode Road to the Tideway.
To add to the bike unfriendly kissing Gates south of Uphill!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

foxyrider wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 7:15pm
The kissing gates at the Uphill reserve boundaries are designed to accommodate cycles and do so. Bridleway gates that can be opened without dismounting, like the two in the centre of the reserve could not be used because they can be left open, which the kissing gates cannot, and so they provide an effective outer barrier to livestock.

From the Tutshill path I only recall the two double gates at the ends, which are more difficult to use than the narrower bridleway gates. I cannot think what they are for. They can be opened to vehicle width so do not keep unauthorised vehicles out. The path will not be used for livestock movements, and if it is it would be no different from an ordinary road. It there is a possible need to close the path at times, this could be done by gates that are normally locked back. At least the complicated livestock crossroads with four gates and cattle grids that was in the planning application has been omitted.

Westonians, at least in my age group, seem to be very keen on it. I chatted to a group for a while, and incited them to write ungrateful letters to the council about the deep gravel and gullies. The gullies are part of the original sluice structure and should have been covered with gratings, the gravel should have been compacted before opening. It is puzzling that the dogleg over the sluice has not been tarmaced like the rest. Could it be because putting in proper foundations for a tarmac road would have damaged the river bank?

Westonians may be pleased about the access to the north, I found the access to the south a little underwhelming. After Wick St Lawrence you find yourself enjoying the Worle Northern Distributor, serving housing estates that were probably not there when the path was first proposed. I turned off and went down to Woodspring Priory, admired the muddy gully draining out upstream of Middle Hope, then went back to Yatton, using Dolemoor Lane. Sand Bay and the Toll Road can wait for another day.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

wjhall wrote: 15 Jul 2024, 5:47pm
foxyrider wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 7:15pm
The kissing gates at the Uphill reserve boundaries are designed to accommodate cycles and do so.
Well actually they don't, i've seen a few ebike users really struggling, tandems are impossible without some acrobatics and trailers, handcycles & cargo bikes have no hope without some lifting gear! Even prams & pushchairs have issues, they are a disgrace and completely over the top as a restriction / containment measure.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

There are limits to what a beast proof closure can allow, and what can reasonably be called a bicycle. There is also a technique to using a kissing gate, which is simple, but does not seem to be universally understood.

Both Uphill gates have radar keys, which is the obvious solution for people with giant conveyances.

Failing that, how do you keep out motor vehicles, keep livestock in and allow large vehicles? Preferably without cattle grids.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

wjhall wrote: 15 Jul 2024, 9:49pm There are limits to what a beast proof closure can allow, and what can reasonably be called a bicycle. There is also a technique to using a kissing gate, which is simple, but does not seem to be universally understood.

Both Uphill gates have radar keys, which is the obvious solution for people with giant conveyances.

Failing that, how do you keep out motor vehicles, keep livestock in and allow large vehicles? Preferably without cattle grids.
A simple gate? seems to work in most places, kissing gates for bikes is simply over thinking it