4K cameras Road an bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pinhead

4K cameras Road an bike

Post by Pinhead »

I am amazed by technology.

Even as an 8 year old and on I would lay on the carpet reading books like "How it works" and that was 1965

From then I built computers, I was into IT from CP/M, and have built our computers from 386's on.

Lately I have been slow in the uptake of new tech, firmly believing that if it works why change it which is why I still have the GoPro 3+'s, X5 in my bikes, unlike the new ones they never overheat and 100% work all the time.

However as some may know due to a mistake by London camera Exchange I got a mint Osmo Action Camera, filters, 2 batteries and accessories for under £50, tanks LCE.

Having tried it out, 4K 60FPS no overheating I have bought an Osmo Action 3 from CEX, AMAZING, so one on bars one on helmet.

Now so impressed as I report drivers to SNAP I have just got the latest Nexbase GW 622 from CEX 2 year guarantee, £130. From others new £270.

Anyone thinking of getting bike cameras for the first time, CEX have the amazing GoPro 3+'s for just £40 and waterproof cases on ebay £6.

But as for the Osmo action let alone the 3 or 4, get it, they are amazing

Sample
Attachments
Image1.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
deeferdonk

Re: 4K cameras Road an bike

Post by deeferdonk »

How do you find the battery life of the camera's you've tried Mr Pinhead?

That seems to be the limiting factor for my personal requirements as most don't last for more than a couple of hours - which is probably adequate for a lot of people.

I have used Drift brand cameras and can get 5+ hours out of them which covers me for my longest rides (and if i take a long cafe stop and forget to turn it off!).
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

deeferdonk wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 11:25am How do you find the battery life of the camera's you've tried Mr Pinhead?

That seems to be the limiting factor for my personal requirements as most don't last for more than a couple of hours - which is probably adequate for a lot of people.

I have used Drift brand cameras and can get 5+ hours out of them which covers me for my longest rides (and if i take a long cafe stop and forget to turn it off!).
GREAT.

I have used the GoPros for many many years, I shot for Classic Cars Magazine and still do PhotoJournalism, I would place them one at each corner at say Brands or Silverstone, the batteries lasted about an hour, same with cycling, however that was not great as it means carrying spares, and yes I do LOL

1. The early GoPros allowed 3rd party batteries still 100% available to be attached, giving a combined 3 hour life. Also cases for the extra thick batteries 10mm on ebay.
IMG_0002.JPG
2. Later GoPros stopped the use of 3rd party batteries so you are stuffed by the company from extending the life of the camera.

3. Now I use the Osmo Action cameras, I bought additional batteries (went mad) going by previous experience, on 4K with steady shot 30 minutes, 2K steadyshot 45 minutes, 4k NO steadyshot same as 2k an hour.
IMG_0003.JPG
However I have simply adapted the case (the Osmos are 100% waterPROOF to 11 meters but I still use a case and NO overheating, the cases are adapted to take the camera with a cable to my external battery and gives 8 hours :)
IMG_0006.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
AUTISTIC and proud
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pinhead wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 12:27pmthe batteries lasted about an hour, same with cycling
So for a day's touring that would be up to 8 batteries. How many chargers does it take to get that lot all charged overnight ready for the next day?
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

I posted that already in a previous post, they all take just one hour combined

And remember I said ONE battery the LIGHT runs all day
Attachments
IMG_20240629_095001_577.jpg
Last edited by Pinhead on 11 Jul 2024, 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

I posted that already, they all take just one hour

And remember I said ONE battery the LIGHT runs all day, I am no longer using the GoPros
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

There are many things we use we forget need charging 8)
Attachments
Img_1803.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've a usb port on my ebike battery and another usb port on the ebike display so I can run two cameras all day long without having to charge them at the end, however as I've only 1 camera, the other usb port supplies power to the gps unit so that doesn't run flat either.
Gotta love ebikes :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Vantage wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 9:05pm I've a usb port on my ebike battery and another usb port on the ebike display so I can run two cameras all day long without having to charge them at the end, however as I've only 1 camera, the other usb port supplies power to the gps unit so that doesn't run flat either.
Gotta love ebikes :D
100% 8) 8) 8) 8)

So Do I but I wouldn't use it in the rain
Attachments
Image1.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud