Would you still buy a bike with rim brakes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nearholmer

Re: Would you still buy a bike with rim brakes?

Post by Nearholmer »

Most of my apples with pears comparison (which is allowed when the criterion is “fruit”) hasn’t much to do with brakes, I agree, but I am impressed that if I decide to convert this one to drop bars, each brake lever will cost c£30, and each down tube shifter about £10, whereas a GRX brifter costs c£160.
PH

Post by PH »

Nearholmer wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 3:49pm Most of my apples with pears comparison (which is allowed when the criterion is “fruit”) hasn’t much to do with brakes, I agree, but I am impressed that if I decide to convert this one to drop bars, each brake lever will cost c£30, and each down tube shifter about £10, whereas a GRX brifter costs c£160.
I think you're just comparing the prices between drop bar and flat bar components, it's an economy of scale thing, Shimano flat bar equipped bikes outnumber drop bar bikes many hundreds, if not thousands, to one. If you wanted to swap your rim brake flat bar STI's with drop bar STI's they'd cost three times the price. it has nothing to do with brakes.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m comparing drop bar components with drop bar components, a fairly high-end integrated brifter for hydraulic brakes, against a lever to operate a vee brake + a down tube shifter.

I’m not about to junk the GRX kit on my other bike, because it is really nice to use, but it is interesting how one can get the basic functions of controlling the brakes and gears for a quarter the price, and it makes one ask what monetary value one places on “really nice to use” as opposed to “functional”.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Nearholmer wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 4:51pm I’m comparing drop bar components with drop bar components, a fairly high-end integrated brifter for hydraulic brakes, against a lever to operate a vee brake + a down tube shifter.

I’m not about to junk the GRX kit on my other bike, because it is really nice to use, but it is interesting how one can get the basic functions of controlling the brakes and gears for a quarter the price, and it makes one ask what monetary value one places on “really nice to use” as opposed to “functional”.
Hear, hear!
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If you look down at a good rim braked fork, you’ll see the enormous amount of’chatter’ as it vibrates and absorbs the road buzz. Compare that with the stiffness of a disc fork. Hence more fatter tyres needed. A good rim brake works. You adapt with use.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

KM2 wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 9:33am If you look down at a good rim braked fork, you’ll see the enormous amount of’chatter’ as it vibrates and absorbs the road buzz. Compare that with the stiffness of a disc fork. Hence more fatter tyres needed. A good rim brake works. You adapt with use.
Yes indeed.
I estimate that there is aprox 1/8" deflection at the fork ends over rough stuff with my 531 fork blades.
Cushy!
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Just catching up with the thread about bike theft epidemic- following the post that thieves are now cutting through frames to steal parts (including disc brakes)... then yes, yes I would.
Unlimited economic growth in a world of finite resources doesn't fit nor does it guarantee happiness.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Yes, just have. Not new but nearly and not cheap - a part-Ti Brompton. With flat bar levers and decent dual pivot calipers they stop on the proverbial sixpence. Really only need hydraulic discs on drop bars cos the ergonomics of the brake levers is so inherently poor.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

cycle tramp wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 6:53pm Just catching up with the thread about bike theft epidemic- following the post that thieves are now cutting through frames to steal parts (including disc brakes)... then yes, yes I would.
Picking this up having come from that bike theft thread - I've seen cases of rear mechs being stolen. Chain and shifter cable snipped (dead simple), mech undone with a 5mm allen key. 2 minutes tops.

In fact I'd say it's probably easier to nick rim brakes than disc brakes - one 5mm allen bolt, easy access, snip the cable.

Big advantage of internal cables - much more difficult to cut! You'd not be able to unbolt the disc calipers on my road bike without taking half the bike to bits, the hose is simply not visible enough (or easy to access) while the bike is actually in one piece.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

rareposter wrote: 12 Jul 2024, 1:37pm
cycle tramp wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 6:53pm Just catching up with the thread about bike theft epidemic- following the post that thieves are now cutting through frames to steal parts (including disc brakes)... then yes, yes I would.
Picking this up having come from that bike theft thread - I've seen cases of rear mechs being stolen. Chain and shifter cable snipped (dead simple), mech undone with a 5mm allen key. 2 minutes tops.

In fact I'd say it's probably easier to nick rim brakes than disc brakes - one 5mm allen bolt, easy access, snip the cable.

Big advantage of internal cables - much more difficult to cut! You'd not be able to unbolt the disc calipers on my road bike without taking half the bike to bits, the hose is simply not visible enough (or easy to access) while the bike is actually in one piece.
Battery angle grinder, straight through frame and hose in seconds.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

rareposter wrote: 12 Jul 2024, 1:37pm

Yes, I would agree that it is easier to steal rim brakes, but there is less financial gain from doing so, as there is less demand for them....
Unlimited economic growth in a world of finite resources doesn't fit nor does it guarantee happiness.