First tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
vandatubes1966

First tour

Post by vandatubes1966 »

Hi

I am thinking of taking my wife on a 3 day short non camping tour and just wondering where?

Like the idea of France and the short crossing also the excitment.

Was looking at Caen via Brittany Ferries but too expensive (£116) crossing.

The terrain cant be too hard as it may put her off any future plans.

So over to you any ideas?

regards
Cyclefrance

Re: First tour

Post by Cyclefrance »

Check out some of my tours of North France at http://www.geocities.com/cyclefranceuk, and please do email me if you want more info.

You might find doing a part of the 2004 trip suits. There's also a 4-day one that we are doing this year that I can tell you about if you want.

Good luck!
hamster

Post by hamster »

It depends on where you live, but Cambridge - Ely - Wisbech - Kings Lynn is attractive and easy. Use the train back to London from King's Lynn.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

The New Forest might suit. You can take the train to say Brockenhurst and cycle from there. You could probably reach the coast as well but that might be a bit ambitious on a short trip.

Brian
vandatubes1966

Post by vandatubes1966 »

Hi

Still pondering and I like the sound of the New Forest & Cambridge.

However, the wife may still want a trip abroad and I believe you can get a return ticket with P&O for £10 or £20 return.

So it maybe Calais and from there I dont know yet as the jury is still out.

Thanks for the replys

regards :roll:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

hamster wrote:Use the train back to London from King's Lynn.

hamster - do you live in london :lol:
jake

Post by jake »

We had a short family holiday last year in the lovely area south of Calais that's known as the "Sept Valees" (Seven Valleys). Seven small rivers flow south to the Canche valley which is part of a larger National Park. It is excellent cycling country though a little hilly in places. Montreuil is a beautiful old wallled town and Hesdin is also worth a visit (especially on market day). We followed the canal out of Calais and headed towards Guines. The great thing about this area is that you can use local trains on the way out or for return leg. The IGN Top 100 map no 03 (Calais/Abbeyville) covers the whole area.
hamster

Post by hamster »

hubgearfreak wrote:
hamster wrote:Use the train back to London from King's Lynn.

hamster - do you live in london :lol:

No, actually in the New Forest. It's just that getting back from King's Lynn to almost anywhere by rail means a trip to London!
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Where better as a first tour to visit your own neighbourhood and you couldn't get better than the New Forest. Alternatively wander into Darset, Thomas Hardy country and down to the coast taking the South West coast path which is also on your doorstep. Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door, Purbeck Hills Swanage. I'm in Cambs and no such delights, trust me. Maybe if you go to the Norfolk Coast. I know where I would rather tour and it's not the Fens. Surely as foot passengers with bike the ferry fare to France isn't £119? This sounds very expensive surely it must be crossing with a car? :shock:
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
jake

Post by jake »

I did Dover to Calais last June for £7 each way with Seafrance. Also you can park in Dover for around £4 per day. France is beckoning.......
Last edited by jake on 15 Apr 2009, 10:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree with Jake; just hop across the channel to Calais (or Dunkerque - a quieter exit from the port) and take it from there. My first ever tour about 16 years ago was from Dunkerque with my 14 yr old son; no real plan but headed South then East into Begium (Ypres etc) and briefly into Holland and back via Ostend. Got me hooked.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I think £119 is about right for 2 people to Caen. It is a 6 hour journey unlike Dover/Calais.

I am going in August from Portsmouth and from memory I am paying £55 return just for me which when compared to a car isn't bad actually.

Haven't checked but I would reckon £500 to £600 for a car and two passengers in the summer, obviously less out of season.

Brian