Guardian 04.10.08: Be the best at road cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dee Jay

Guardian 04.10.08: Be the best at road cycling

Post by Dee Jay »

Advice from Chris Boardman.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ng.fitness

I read this when I returned from my 18 miles yesterday having spent much of the ride congratulating myself on the fact that I was improving my cadence. It's good to have confirmation that I'm doing the right thing.
Dee
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

my cadence has gotten terrible lately!!!

its slower...i dont know what the figure is though....but NOWHERE NEAR 100......and most of the time now i cycle in the harder gears too - especially for hill climbing!

just aswell im not entering next years tour de france :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

I haven't a clue what mine is, but I do know that it's better than it was! Ever since I was shown how to use my gears! :oops:

If it's not too bonkers an idea I might have a go at counting next time .... :roll:
Dee
WesBrooks

Post by WesBrooks »

Crikey! 100 I thought I was doing well hitting an average of 90rpm!

Back to the drawing board for me then. That and hitting and holding heart rates at the top end of zone 4!

:shock:
montmorency

Re: Guardian 04.10.08: Be the best at road cycling

Post by montmorency »

I've always been shocked/impressed at the incredibly high cadences in the TdF, even in extreme conditions.

Fortunately, in the last 18 months or so, I've managed to lose about 2 and 1/2 stone and a lot (although not all) of unwanted belly fat, so I can now at last get right down on the drops for that aero position without feeling all squashed!

I remember Robert Millar (remember him?) once saying that people shave off a few ounces here and a few ounces there off their kit with lighter and lighter components, whereas what they probably should be doing is losing some pounds off their bodies!
I can finally now appreciate this! :lol:

Regards,
M.
My other car is a bicycle; my other bicycle is two other bicycles.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

As I fitted a cycle comp for the trip, I found that I hit 160rpm coming away from Land's End at the weekend :shock:

It was more like 16 going up the other side though...
skrx

Post by skrx »

I've been trying to keep mine above 90, but it's still taking some practice. I don't have a computer to do it, so I'm just counting. "(0)RIGHT left right (1)LEFT right left (2)RIGHT" should be 90rpm.