Is the Carradice Saddlebag Support any good?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GavinC

Is the Carradice Saddlebag Support any good?

Post by GavinC »

Hi

I've just got a Carradice Junior saddlebag to use on my commuter bike. However, it brushes the rear tyre and I figure some form of proper support would be a more elegant solution than the current set up of a bungee cord wrapped around the bag!

I haven't got enough seatpost showing to use an SQR mount or nowhere seems to have a Bagman. So I was wondering if anyone has used the plain old Saddlebag Support (www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachmen ... pport.shtm)and, if so, what they thought of it? Is it worth a punt at £12.95? I'll only be carrying fairly light loads.

Many thanks

Gavin
ANTONISH

Re: Is the Carradice Saddlebag Support any good?

Post by ANTONISH »

Mine fell apart on a couple of occasions. The clamp holds the main support by two small grub screws. After drilling a couple of recesses into the very hard metal it held together but I've never been very happy with it (but then saddlebags in general are a problem as I'm vertically challenged) and to be fair others seem very happy with it. A standard rack may be a better support.
fixer

Post by fixer »

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-at ... port.shtml doesn't seem to work as a link to the page.

Is this the one you mean?

It has to be the most useless cycling product I've bought! For a start, it will not fit on a frame with caliper brakes, unless you fit the support higher up the seat stays to clear the calipers but that defeats the purpose of a support. Second; it's made from alu and is simply too weak and flexible.

In the end, I got a Bagman instead, one of the best accessories I've got.
Last edited by fixer on 17 Apr 2009, 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
fixer

Post by fixer »

ANTONISH wrote:Mine fell apart on a couple of occasions. The clamp holds the main support by two small grub screws. After drilling a couple of recesses into the very hard metal it held together but I've never been very happy with it (but then saddlebags in general are a problem as I'm vertically challenged) and to be fair others seem very happy with it. A standard rack may be a better support.

Seems to be the Bagman you're referring to.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Hi Fixer

Yes that's the one - thanks for posting the picture. You obvioulsy aren't very impressed with it! I hadn't even considered the brakes issue (the bike I'd be using it on has sidepull brakes).

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out for a Bagman.

thanks

Gavin

fixer wrote:http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/saddlebag-support.shtml doesn't seem to work as a link to the page.

Is this the one you mean?

It has to be the most useless cycling product I've bought! For a start, it will not fit on a frame with caliper brakes, unless you fit the support higher up the seat stays to clear the calipers but that defeats the purpose of a support. Second; it's made from alu and is simply too weak and flexible.

In the end, I got a Bagman instead, one of the best accessories I've got.
mike

Post by mike »

I recently bought a barley from Carradice and as you said there are no Bagmans available anywhere. But I am told by a LBS they have a replacement for the Bagman due out in April. I'm waiting to see what comes out.
Or there are some interesting fixing arrangements for saddlebags if you google Carradice Hacks, just needs a bit of time in the workshop.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

You're right fixer, I was talking about the Bagman
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

As a short term solution, I've jerry rigged a bracket, made from some meccano like wall fixings I had in the shed, which I attached to the rear brake bolt and tensioned to the frame with some twine! A bit Heath Robinson, but it held up okay on the way to work this morning :)

Hopefully it will last until Carradice bring out their new Bagman or I can afford to stump up $40 for the very nice looking Viva saddlebag support from Velo-Orange...

Thanks for all your feedback

regards

Gavin
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Spark303

I have a slightly different support that came with a second hand saddlebag that I bought. I've never tried it as I've got a rack so don't need it. It attaches via the seat pin attaching bolt. It has a cut-out to match the key on the seat pin boltObviously it won't work in all circumstances. If you're interested I might be able to push it in your direction for a small fee. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Chris
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Pictures of my saddlebag support for Gavin. Apologies for the photo quality!

Pedal for size comparison!
Pedal for size comparison!
The slotted hole
The slotted hole
The non slotted hole
The non slotted hole
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Kiltie12

Post by Kiltie12 »

I had one years ago that ran under the saddle supports and the bolted on with a double bar sddle clip which was bought separately...it eventually snapped but I managed to draw a picture of it and my ex brother - in - law had one made for me that was stronger.along with a a pannier carrier. Sadly I put them on my Dawes Galaxy and it vanished one day when I was in town.......and the bike was solidly clamped up. Never saw that bike again. And never seen the same bag holder again. they were cheap but effective. I dare say if you have an idea someone could make one easy enough.
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

ANTONISH wrote:Mine fell apart on a couple of occasions. The clamp holds the main support by two small grub screws. After drilling a couple of recesses into the very hard metal it held together but I've never been very happy with it (but then saddlebags in general are a problem as I'm vertically challenged) and to be fair others seem very happy with it. A standard rack may be a better support.

Providing it is the Bagman Support ASTONISH means.
I replaced the grub screws on mine with SS Allen bolts for better grip on the rails.
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Neil Mc Ivor wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:I replaced the grub screws on mine with SS Allen bolts for better grip on the rails.

I am having problems with the grub screws on my Bagman.

Where did you get the SS allen bolts from please ??

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

IanWhere did you get the SS allen bolts from please ??[/quote]

I got mine from an industrial fastenings supplier, buying mainly M4 in various lengths plus washers and nylock nuts where appropriate to suit Waterbottle bosses, mudguard eyes, toeclips, P clips for holding racks on also brake cable bolts, gearlever on old Shimano 105 (1993) And a few M5; seatbolt, gear cable bolts
The company I got them from no longer exists but you should be able to find an industrial fastening supplier locally.
It is considerably cheaper buying them this way than in a small pack from Halfords.