Happy Slapping

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mrs Tortoise

Happy Slapping

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Yesterday, while cycling up the South Dorset Ridgeway (A354) from Weymouth to Dorchester, I felt a bump on my right butock a car very near beeped twice and shot off up the hill before I could register the make or number. It took me a moment to realise I'd been happy slapped, though I was anything but happy about it. Thankfully, I wasn't hurt nor did I fall off, but continued my riding.

I had given no provocation for the assault, which this is, and can't in my wildest imaginings conceive why it happened, in other words I don't understand what they get from it.

So be warned this disease appears to have spread to south Dorset.
richardyorkshire

Re: Happy Slapping

Post by richardyorkshire »

Ah. I just get ignorant teenagers leaning out the car window and screaming at me as they go past. Doesn't half make me jump, but at least they don't wallop me on the behind. That must be a benefit of being a man.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

I'll like to give them a 'happy slap' with the blunt end on the rather big pump I carry! :twisted:
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Happened to one of our students a few years ago, so we complained to the Police that it was a "sexually motivated assault"..........

The Police took it very seriously indeed and the lads involved were extremely unimpressed when they found out they were being questioned for a sexual offence!

If you are female it is always worth playing this card.
Gisen

Post by Gisen »

In theory it should be even more effective playing this card as a man.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Welcome back Mrs Tortoise!

Sorry to hear of your assault. It is assault too. I reckon you should report it, so that if it happens again, it's recorded as such. Hopefully, if it does happen again, you'll be ready for it.

Good luck.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

yes welcome back. As Mick says report it even if you do not get number, 1. it is an assault, 2, It is a sexual assault.
Once it is recorded then if others experience similar assaults the police may have something more to go on in the future.

Very sorry to hear of it, having had some gardeners throw a clod of earth that hit me square in the back, it is very unpleasant to receive any sort of physical abuse whilst out on the road.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

A few years ago whilst I was still the right side of sixty five, an open top car containing two young women slowed alongside me. The passenger reached out and pinched my left buttock. "Nice bum" she said and they drove off. Could I have reported this as sexual harrassment?. Maybe Age Concern would have taken it up. Better than being pushed off though.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

As a bloke I'd like to get a handle on 'unwanted' sexual attention so can I just say if any of you girls want to practice your bottom pinching techniques - I cycle daily between Warrington and Speke.

Seriously though, I can see why it would be annoying - and I can imagine for females how intrusive and annoying it must be. (Not to mention the safety aspects). I think reporting it would be a good idea, might be worth a bit of searching on youtube using the right sort of keywords just in case they're foolish enough to publish 'the evidence'...
james01

Post by james01 »

Some years ago an American forum discussed this dangerous practice. One fed-up lady who was being regularly molested by the same car-load concealed some drawing pins in her back pockets , pointy end outwards. I don't know the outcome, but I imagine it was pretty effective!
downfader

Post by downfader »

kwackers wrote:As a bloke I'd like to get a handle on 'unwanted' sexual attention so can I just say if any of you girls want to practice your bottom pinching techniques - I cycle daily between Warrington and Speke.

Seriously though, I can see why it would be annoying - and I can imagine for females how intrusive and annoying it must be. (Not to mention the safety aspects). I think reporting it would be a good idea, might be worth a bit of searching on youtube using the right sort of keywords just in case they're foolish enough to publish 'the evidence'...

Like that prat who fell out of the car and smacked his head into an oncoming vehicle..? Horrible result but frankly.... :| Youtube is full of "pwned" clips as they put it
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

richardyorkshire wrote:Ah. I just get ignorant teenagers leaning out the car window and screaming at me as they go past.

At least I can take some comfort from the fact that it's not jut the gutter scum of Hull that seem to have developed this habit. Are they really so lonely that they have to make some primitive, gutteral attempt at communication with a complete stranger? :evil:
Take comfort in the possibility that as they get stuck at the next hold-up, you can always increase your collection of nearside mirrors by one :twisted:

I would certainly agree that the OP has been subjected to an assault that could easily be shown to have a sexual context - tracking down the offender could well result in him being placed on the sex-offenders register. Now that would be really useful to him should his employer/future employer/neighbours find out :roll:
Get the incident reported - even the colour of the car is better than nothing. It may be one of a series of similar incidents that your local police may already be dealing with.
Take care. Steve
byegad

Post by byegad »

Agree with the above. It is a sexually motivated assault and the Police will take it seriously. Even if your report doesn't, on its own, nail the guilty party it may help catch the people involved. Well worth it.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I'm fairly confident that the culprit(s) will do it to others as well.
Our experiances around our area show that the "few" repeat until caught.
It may be the passenger that's actually doing it but the driver is "aiding".
PLease report it to the police with any clues to the people / car.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Sorry to read of the assault on you and the obvious shock as you would not have been expecting it. I wouldn't bother reporting it to the police they will do bugger all. As soon as you walk out the door of the police station they will bin it. If you're even more unlucky they will even treat you as a criminal or that you are wasting their time. So it would be a total waste of time. Unfortunately you'll just have to put it down to experience I feel. I would advise looking behind you more frequently when you hear a car approaching so you can eyeball approaching cars and their occupants. If you are quick enough next time whack the offender's arm with the knuckles of your clenched fist. It will break the perpetrators arm :twisted:
Carry a camera if you are able and always a phone.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.