Screaming brake blocks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JC4LAB

Screaming brake blocks

Post by JC4LAB »

Bought a second hand galaxy hardly used but the rear brakes scream so loud.(never haerd anything as loud before).Can anything done DIY before I take to a shop and leave it to the experts? There may be a very very very minute buckle though...
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Screaming brake blocks

Post by Mick F »

There are all sorts of cures for squealing brakes, but before you do anything else, take off the back wheel and thoroughly clean the rim. I do this with the kitchen sink with v hot water and washing-up liquid. Scrub the brake surface with brush or soft pad, then rinse off and dry.

Also, remove the blocks and shove them in the soapy water and give them a scrub too.

Basically, oil and muck solidifies on the rim and blocks sometimes, and creates a squeal.

Re-assemble, adjust the brakes as normal, and try again.
Mick F. Cornwall
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

'toeing' the brake pads in can reduce squealing...by that i mean you set the pads at an angle to the rim - instead of rubbing on the rims square on.

link - http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/brakepad.htm
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
PW

Post by PW »

If the brakes are cantis strip them down, clean everything until spotless, re-grease - give it plenty - and re-assemble. It often turns out to be the brake arms vibrating on the frame studs.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

Thanks but they are centre pull V brakes...
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

JC4LAB wrote:Thanks but they are centre pull V brakes...

Which are canti brakes! If it is a fairly new Galaxy it'll have Tektro Orynx which have a reputaion for screaching.

Different blocks might help.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

Oops.... thanks for the tips everyone..
RJC

Post by RJC »

A brake 'booster' which is a horseshoe shaped stiffener plate strapped across the brake mounting points can help if the cheaper options don't get the desired result.
It worked for me with a squeaky rear v-brake.