shimano shoes sizes...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lauriematt

shimano shoes sizes...

Post by lauriematt »

hi guys - bought a set of lidl or aldi cycling shoes size 6.5 (size 40) but find that the shoes are too long and dont fit very well

with everyday shoes im around 6.5 - 7 give or take

what size shimano shoes do people wear who are around the same size?

hoping to head down to lbs at some point to try a few pairs out...

thanxs
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Spinners

Re: shimano shoes sizes...

Post by Spinners »

I'm a size 42 in shoes but found Shimano shoes surprisingly tight and needed a 44 (RT51's).

My experiences of other manufacturers;

Vittoria - spot on.

Specialized - tight.

Sidi - cripplingly tight.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Si

Post by Si »

I've shimano shoes in two sizes (one pair of each that is, not one pair where one shoe is bigger than the other!).
They are different models and for some reason the pair with the smaller size printed on it is larger than the other.
Best to try before you buy with shoes.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Hi Laurie

SHoes, are a pain. Normally in everyday shoes I am a size 7 or a 40. But with cycle shoes this is blown out of the water.

My shimano shoes are a size 41 (which is sometimes considered an 8, but sometimes a 7.5)

I have a pair of winter shoes which are Cannondale. THese are a size 41, but are really too wide unless I wear thick socks, therefore are my winter shoes.

I have just purchased a pair of Lake shoes. Lady specific to get past the width problem (I have a narrow foot). THey were mightly pricy, and I wouldnt buy them again, as you dont get much shoe for the money (laces were cheap, fabric of shoe is cheap, and teh sole is too flexible). But far worse is their rubbish sizing. Purchased from Wiggle, I originally bought a 41, but these went back (postage cost nearly £7 from IoM). The next pair came as a 42 (Size 8.5 according to the label). But even these are a tad tight, ok for commute, but I wouldnt like to take them on a long journey. So a 43 in a Lake is my size or so it seems, this equates to a 9!

I do wish shoe manufacturers could get a grip on sizing I really do. Our LBS has a very limited supply of MTb shoes or touring shoes, and all of these are man specific which are always too wide for me.

Mary
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Same problem here, Mary. I got some Shimano shoes that were narrower, coded shfn21. They are designed for use without socks, which makes them narrow enough for me- but on the flip side they are designed for indoors. I don't mind that compromise, as they're very comfortable and breathable, but if you don't like wet/cold feet in the winter you'd need shoe covers.
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

Cycling shoe sizes seem to be a bit weird. You really need to try some on.

I'm normally a size 11, or 46 in european sizes. But in my shimano mt41 shoes I had to get a 47, which was the largest size in the shop. I also tried on some different shimano shoes in the same size and they were too small. Go figure.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

try then if you can. i have one pair of shimano size 41 which are just right. then bought some shimano mt70 but 41 were tight. got a 43 which is ok with a new footbed (from walking shop)
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I have two pairs of cycling shoes,both Shimano and IMO, the fit is on the tight side.They are marked as size 7 (actually foot size is 6.5 but that's almost impossible to get,even with Clarks!).
The earlier ones's,can't remember the model number but a basic touring shoe,are still the most comfortable pair of shoes (of any sort),I've ever had.
The newer one's (MT20's) are OK, a bit tighter and stiffer which is great for cycling,but not as comfy' off the bike.

Overall though,I can't fault this particular Shimano product at all.