Not Fun... :-( Trying to be positive about my trip out today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Re: Not Fun... :-( Trying to be positive about my trip out today

Post by pete75 »

You should have taken my old aunts advice about avoiding fast women :-)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I see this a lot out walking- half way up the big hills, you see someone (usually the bloke) shooting up at high speed in lots of expensive (and lightweight) gear. Behind is the partner (usually female) in cheap, heavy gear- sometimes carrying a bag in her hand with all the sandwiches etc. (often no rucksac). As soon as she catches up, he's off, so she gets no rest, and is often quite obviously having a lousy time- sometimes also very upset and embarrassed. It makes my OH furious when he sees it. A good walker should never leave a weaker one behind on the fells, if only for safety reasons. I've sometimes heard that old chestnut 'it tires me to go that slow'- this is no excuse, as a fit person should be able to adjust to any speed.

I remember going out cycling with my brother- (the first time I had ever cycled outside London) up in the Pennines- an area my brother was used to cycling. I actually got quite stressed trying to keep up on the hills (and failing), which made me slower than if I'd been on my own as I got more out of breath. (he was only a lad at the time, so didn't realise). I know some people go faster with the encouragement of going with faster companions, but it can work the other way too.

If I got behind, I'd try to keep calm and relaxed if I was getting wound up (and sneak out on my own to practice). As I am now old and more resigned to how people are, If I was getting fed up with stuff like this now, I'd just go at my own pace admiring the scenery, and when my companion shot out of sight, I'd switch the mobile off and take another way home.......leaving my companion to run around looking for me, rather than the other way round. That should train them not to lose sight of their companion next time.

I love the idea about the binding brakes and flat tyres. You could also try getting her to drink a lot of water immediately before you go out on the grounds that drinking water is a Good Thing- they used to 'stop' (slow down to affect the odds) racehorses by doing that. She may need more breaks too...... :wink:
peter236uk

Post by peter236uk »

I enjoy riding on my own most of the time I can please myself then either have a blast or just take my time and stop and look at things as I wish' the other day I went out as had day off work only did around 35 miles and took most of the morning but stoped for coffee had a look in couple of shops and then at a old building just chilled really.
I also ejoy using the train as well to get to different places and then ride back if I canor catch the train depends on the mood.

Pete
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

Flinders - reminds me of my day out :lol: My wife was in front, carrying zero on her new super-duper lightweight alu hard-tail, I was trailing behind on my 17 year old steel MTB, with both our water bottles, rucksack, p******e kit, pump, spare tube, camera, snacks, etc etc etc...

As an experiment, I thought I would try the same route a couple of days ago on my own. I don't know whether this was part psychological, but I managed an extended route at an average of 10.0mph, which for me is the fastest average speed I have ever acheived on a 'long (for me) ride' since I resumed cycling in February. I had a fair few stops on the way, taking photographs and chatting to ramblers, and enjoyed every minute of it. And here is one of the photo's I took, which to me makes it all worth while getting out on two wheels :D
a 10mph slalom!
a 10mph slalom!
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa
pigman

Post by pigman »

my tuppence

dont buy a tandem without trying it first. Ive seen some cases where hubby bought a tandem to take mrs along and its ended in failure and a redundant (and expensive) tandem. either theyre mismatched - apparently you have to climb in unison; resentment cos he thinks she's being idle; or stoker wants to see more than a bum. I'd suggest try before buy.

We had a similar problem when we went out but mrs was always slow. If I rode at 10mph, she was 200 metres behind. If I increased it to 20mph, she was still 200 mtrs behind. Fitness wasnt the problem, she just somehow kept a gap. Then we tried MTB'ing and things were better as there was more chances to get off and walk, look at scenery etc. In the end we even did foreign tours on mtbs. You need to incorporate other activities into the ride so that you spend time together, eg picnic, visits to attractions etc. and get the fit person to carry all the luggage and the weaker one to have as light a bike as poss, ie no tools, luggage, locks etc.
half cog

Post by half cog »

If you do go the tandem way ( and I can highly reccomend it ) for goodness sake be prepared to give some time to get used to it .It will take a few interesting rides before it all comes together. There are those who give up and sell their tandems after a couple of rides. Its like selling your car because you are not ready for the test after the first couple of lessons. Sheldon Brown has a page on getting on and off without ending up in chaos. Honking can be done but it takes a good team to do it without the wobbles. Use clipless pedals . To start with there will be times when the stoker stops and you dont or the other way round and they help prevent the feet coming off. Also you need to do a running commentry to the stoker to begin with as they cannot see whats in front so they dont know when you are about to brake e.t.c. In time you will gell as a perfect team.I never need to say anything to my stoker now unless I am stopping for any reason. There is a sort of sixth sense develops in that she seems to know when I am about to brake e.t.c. We bought an off road tandem last year and fitted it out with front suspension and thats even better. Forget some of the tandem myths.You will know if your stoker stops . The stoker probably sees more of the countryside than you will because they dont have to bother about picking the right line e.t.c. No they dont spend all day just looking at your back allthough you do make a good wind brake when its time to ride into the wind . We love it. The solos rarely get an airing now.Put tandems in to e bay and you may be pleasently surprised at how cheaply you can get a quality modern road or off road machine for.There are a lot of solo bikes a great deal dearer and remember you only buy one of these not two.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

john_roberts wrote:Flinders - reminds me of my day out :lol: My wife was in front, carrying zero on her new super-duper lightweight alu hard-tail, I was trailing behind on my 17 year old steel MTB, with both our water bottles, rucksack, p******e kit, pump, spare tube, camera, snacks, etc etc etc...

As an experiment, I thought I would try the same route a couple of days ago on my own. I don't know whether this was part psychological, but I managed an extended route at an average of 10.0mph, which for me is the fastest average speed I have ever acheived on a 'long (for me) ride' since I resumed cycling in February. I had a fair few stops on the way, taking photographs and chatting to ramblers, and enjoyed every minute of it. And here is one of the photo's I took, which to me makes it all worth while getting out on two wheels :D
P1000093s.JPG

Glad you enjoyed the ride!
Actually, at one point when walking I had the newer gear, and as I'm slower (about a foot shorter, and most of that in the leg area :cry: ) I go in front, so then I was the one in front with the fancy gear, posh camera, & big rucksack (for work, but who knows that?) and OH was behind in the older gear with all the grub in his rucksac. Having a sense of humour, he enjoyed people's puzzled reactions to that. :wink:
pigman

Post by pigman »

Interesting, halfcog. My post on tandeming wasnt based on experience, just on a couple of actual anecdotes from people who have tried it and failed miserably. And from your experience, i have to agree that I know that they didnt give it the time you suggest. I somehow get the feeling (and I'm trying to tread carefully here) that the OP's Mrs doesnt seem to be the patient or compromising type. It would be a gross waste to invest in a tandem to end up storing it at the back of the garage. So, I'll stick with the try before you buy philosophy.
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

pigman wrote:I somehow get the feeling (and I'm trying to tread carefully here) that the OP's Mrs doesnt seem to be the patient or compromising type. It would be a gross waste to invest in a tandem to end up storing it at the back of the garage. So, I'll stick with the try before you buy philosophy.

No need to tread carefully but thanks for the sensitivity all the same :) And I think you're right, apart from tandems never really appealing to me, I think it would end up being stored in the back of the garage, where my trusty bike lay untouched for seven years previously. I have tried since posting to get us both out together, but apart from the lousy weather the promised compromises are usually followed by a statement such as "I want to pedal off and actually do some work" so it just puts me off altogether. I think if we do out together we will have to treat our rides as two separate trips, which may involve her taking her own p******e kit, pump and water :wink: then we can meet up at the destination, or I'll wave at her when she flies past me on her way back home :lol:

That way I feel a little less guilty about riding solo to some of the stunning locations I have discovered, and I can just treat it as a ride at my own pace. If she wants to wait for me then she can, if not - then no problem.

Some good suggestion from forum members though, and it's given me a few ideas I can try such as her taking a detour or longer loop so we arrive at the same place at the same time. As long as we're both independently mobile and keep in touch at regular intervals this shouldn't be a problem :D
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa
half cog

Post by half cog »

Re pigmans comments.
I fully agree that you both need to be of a similar mind when you buy a tandem. My wife was on the point of packing up riding and this was a last attempt to keep it as a joint hobby/sport. We are both well past our sell by date now so I dont think image was a problem as it is to some. My grown up daughter only tried it once and then only as long as we did not go anywhere that she might be recognised .It was the best idea I have had in a long long time though. The off road tandem is fantastic fun but I would not reccomend it untill you have mastered a road tandem first. Far too many things happening all at the same time and you need to be aware what is happening with the back of the bike as well as your bit at the front. For us it worked allthough we had to make it or face the fact that we were going to be doing different things with our spare time.They reckon about twenty hours to master one properly but I reckon three or four two hour rides should do it.you do need to persevere though but its great when it all comes together.To try before you buy you may have to look at hiring one first. After all you need to learn to ride one before you can try to buy. At the end of the day its down to mindset. Both of you need to want to do this and you need to want to make it happen.If you are a couple that argues a lot then leave it well alone.Its not going to be fun.You need a lot of trust when you are on the back of a tandem at forty plus down a steep winding hill with no brakes or steering. Likewise you need a strong sense of responsability when you have someones wellbeing dependant on your ability to handle it.Its very much a case of both in it together or not at all.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I'm in danger of turning this into one of those Les Dawson comedy acts, "I'm not saying shes'..... but"
My dilemma is that my girlfriend does not understand how to use gears. Here's the scenario. We are going uphill, brow of/humpbacked bridge etc and she is in a low gear doing her best. But when we go over the brow and start to accelerate, she slams on the brakes. When I asked about this, she replied that she cannot change up, "because I don't feel anything there". Ah Ha! The road speed is high enough that there is no sensation of driving the bike forward due to such a low gear. I tried pointing out that all you have to do is just keep the pedals turning freely whilst changing upgear until you can feel a resistance on the pedals. But she cannot see that, so she slams the anchors on downhill to kill the speed until she does 'feel' the pedals, then she can change up. I meanwhile, preferring to protect her from passing cars, have taken up position behind and am having to learn to maintain ballance at very low speed. Gnash Gnash! Help!
Romeo Whisky

Post by Romeo Whisky »

Thats nothing, Have you tried explaining the offside rule?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I suppose I can see what she means, it's a curious idea, though. Maybe you could suggest she changes up a bit earlier- just before she reaches the crown of the hill and as it starts to flatten off and before the wobbling starts? It is very unbalancing if your legs are spinning when you're already going a bit slow to balance.

Gears I can do- but the offside rule....I have eventually learned how it works, but I still don't see why you have to have it (and don't try explaining- all explanations on this point have the same effect on me as when people try to explain Quantum Theory, String Theory, and Why Space is Curved, i.e. zilch.)

It reminds me of the old joke- 'never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig'
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Of course, a mixed tandem is the solution
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Of course, a mixed tandem is the solution

If you listen really carefully, you can hear their faint shouts of "thank you for the suggestion" coming from 10 years in the past.