Pannier bags any thoughts/experiences

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
travelling

Pannier bags any thoughts/experiences

Post by travelling »

Obviously Ortliebs seem to be the market leaders and to be fair with some reason

but before I spend my hard earned has anyone else had/bought,loved/hated another brand ?
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
MLJ

Re: Pannier bags any thoughts/experiences

Post by MLJ »

I prefer Carradice super C for two reasons: the pockets are very useful when touring, and the material is virtually chafe-proof. They cannot be considered entirely waterproof as are the Ortlieb, so are better used with large plastic bags within just in case.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Might depend on what you intend to put in them, and how far you intend to carry them off the bike?
"42"
cycle_tourer

Post by cycle_tourer »

I use Carradice Super C's, my partner uses Ortlieb both have there merits, I prefer the look and material of Carradice and i also like having pockets. Both are quite expensive, though I think Bike Plus is the cheapest place get them. Wiggle's DHB brand seem to make what looks like a copy of Ortlieb's, they are much cheaper, but i don't have direct experience of them.
zonc

Post by zonc »

I have used and still use both for different reasons.

carradice are excellent, made in GB, Nelson Lancs, and are repairable - if you do not want to go down the plastic bag route then exped dry bags are also an option (lightweight waterproof roll top bags)

ortlieb, German, are totally waterproof and seem to be de rigeur at the moment. They do, if you use them alot - wear, go for the non PVC type if you want to be eco.

For longevity i only have the carradice to go by - just replaced my 27 year old saddlebag - (there's an old git for you...!)
be the cyclist - even when they're not looking
travelling

Post by travelling »

My intention is to only remove them from the frame at night time to store them in the tent for safety

I saw a few reviews about the carradice and accept they are not as waterproof as the orts and a healthy supply of black bin bags is needed

I don't need the ability to remove them and they convert into a rucksack etc they will be purely as a load carrier also on the orts they have two types either the roll type of the pull over cover type anyone used these as well?
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been very pleased with both Ortleib and Carradice as others have said, both have their merits. I do think that cotton duck is pretty waterproof, so long as it is not damaged. It used to be used for collapsible fire-buckets, etc. (I once had an illicit bottle of teenage cider leak in a Camper saddlebag and the cider was sloshing about unnoticed inside for some time :oops: ) I think the point is that the flaps on Carradice stuff can be inadvertently left a bit open and water gets in that way. On the other hand, an Ortleib roll-top properly fastened could be completely submerged and remain waterproof. I don't think anything Carradice do would stand up to that, but I'm not sure that most of us would want to try.

From my own experience, Ortleib stuff is a lot easier to remove quickly from a rack than what I think is the current Carradice design. I find mine impossible to remove without a screwdriver or similar lever. That can be good or bad depending on how easy you want it to be for you to remove (which you mention as a consideration) comapered with slowing down a thief. The Ortleib is just grab the handles and away we go (although they do have a cable-based security system.)
Si

Post by Si »

I've some Super Cs that I have no complaints about (apart from their tendency to cultivate fungus i you don't get them perfectly dry before storage :oops: ).

I also have some Fieldman ones. these were less than half the price of the Carradices but have served me just as well. They are made from heavey weight cordua (sp?) material and IMHO are just as good as the Super Cs (although beware, Fieldman also make some really rubbish lighter ones too).

Finally I have a Lidl one. This has lasted a lot better than I expected - it's on my commuter and used for carrying heavy weights (lots of thick books and journals). Although it would probably be a good idea to up grade the clips on these before venturing off into the wilds. For a £10er it has ben excellent.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

i have Ortleib. you can buy other brands but as sure as night follows day there will come a time when it will rain and rain and you will regret not buying Ortleib. Especially when you get into a wet sleeping bag.
james01

Post by james01 »

Carradice has been good for me. Whatever you get, an externally accessible pocket is very useful for wallets, phones,snacks etc wanted en route, so that you don't need to keep burrowing into the main compartment.
gaz

Post by gaz »

No experience of anyhting other than Carradice. For me the most remarkable thing is that twenty years since getting them I can still buy replacement hooks. The hook design has changed over time but the basic fitting is still the same.
random37

Post by random37 »

As far as I'm concerned, anything that has a repair service can justify costing more money. So Carradice for me.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The bigger they are the more unnecessary items you pack :lol:
Carradice for me, only because I have had these a considerable number of years and before Ortlieb were on the scene, or I may have bought differently, but there just was not the choice.
Have an old pair of front panniers that I use as rear ones, these are very compact and mean I do not over pack on holiday, but obviously bigger ones are required if camping.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jwcane

Post by jwcane »

I have Arkels and they're absolutely fantastic. I've had several now. Too expensive, really, but if money's no problem there's nothing close.

I particularly love being able to open up the side and get right in to the pannier like a case.
julk

Post by julk »

I have used Carradice, Karrimor, Vaude, Altura, Edinburgh-Coop and they have all performed well.

My favourite bags are Carradice Super C upgraded with Arkel Cam-Hooks for an easy on/off.