Do you have a favourite leg?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Do you have a favourite leg?

Post by Manx Cat »

I seem to. My left one. Its always doing the hard work, the unclipping, propping up the bike at halt signs.

Ive even found while out on the mountain bike, that its my left leg that gets unclipped when there is an obstruction to get over or pass close to.

Last night we did a lot of downhill stuff, just the way the route went, and standing on the pedals for yonks it was my left leg my main weight fell onto. Its my left leg that is tired today! :lol:

And strangely or not, its my left leg that has the bestest muscle contours on it too.

DOes veryone favour a particular leg. Im right handed if that makes a difference or not... OH... my setting off ie the first turn of the crank has to be the right leg!

Mary
Manx Cat

Re: Do you have a favourite leg?

Post by Manx Cat »

OOooh... Ive just posted my 1000th post!

I do yak a lot eh?

Mary
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My left knee has been a bit dodgy for some years. My right leg, especially the thigh, is visibly thicker than my left (I think this has been discussed before - the subject that is, not my left leg.)
Si

Post by Si »

Apparently I snow-board and skate-board with the wrong leg leading. It's not that I'm left legged - on the bike I'm always right foot forward when at 3:45, fencing I'm right foot forward, footie I'm a bit more ambifootious than most but favour right, but on the boards goofy-style seems natural, and, come to think of it, when batting I used to use the Gower style of being right handed by taking guard with left side facing down the wicket. So, in answer to the question, not as such - depends on context.
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

I think I favour my right leg - I sometimes find my left leg not putting in much effort & have to have a word! Freewheeling I keep the pedals level but swap them over regularly on a long descent so I don't get cramp. Stopping I used to go with whichever leg was more convenient, but on the tandem it has to be left leg every time or my stoker complains :D
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm very right-handed and right-footed too, but I always unclip left first, and clip it last too. I always push away with right leg giving the first downstroke.

I was talking to a lady the other day, and I found out that she was left-handed. We chatted about left-handedness for a while, and it came out that she isn't just left-handed, but she's a Dextercardio something or other. Her internal organs are displaced left for right! Her appendix is on the "wrong" side, her heart is to the right, and her other organs are similarly "wrong". Fairly rare, I believe, but not totally unusual.

Just Wiki'd it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextrocardia
Mick F. Cornwall
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Manx Cat wrote:I seem to. My left one. Its always doing the hard work, the unclipping, propping up the bike at halt signs.

Ive even found while out on the mountain bike, that its my left leg that gets unclipped when there is an obstruction to get over or pass close to.

Last night we did a lot of downhill stuff, just the way the route went, and standing on the pedals for yonks it was my left leg my main weight fell onto. Its my left leg that is tired today! :lol:

And strangely or not, its my left leg that has the bestest muscle contours on it too.

DOes veryone favour a particular leg. Im right handed if that makes a difference or not... OH... my setting off ie the first turn of the crank has to be the right leg!

Mary

So you are left-legger rather than a left-footer :roll:

On sunday afternoon I peddled up Morecambe prom and up to Arnside (when it piddled on me) and back trough Over Kellet to Lancaster and then Cockerham
worthers

Post by worthers »

Yep, definitely my right leg. The muscles around my left knee often twinge quite painfully, so I tend to consciously use my right leg to provide "pushing power" when starting up or climbing hills.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

Manx Cat wrote:DOes veryone favour a particular leg. Im right handed if that makes a difference or not... OH... my setting off ie the first turn of the crank has to be the right leg!

Mary

Well, I'm left handed/footed. I unclip the right and lead with my left, so that seems to make sense.

I have to say that I'm very disapointed with this thread, Mary. When I saw the title I thought you were going to show us your legs and ask us to choose a favourite. :oops:
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mick F wrote: Her internal organs are displaced left for right! Her appendix is on the "wrong" side, her heart is to the right, and her other organs are similarly "wrong". Fairly rare, I believe, but not totally unusual.

Are you sure it's not her head that's on back to front. :?: :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I'm sure her head's on the right way! She has bumps at the front inside her cardigan, and her knees face forward!
Mick F. Cornwall
paulah

Post by paulah »

favourite? No, I'm quite attached to both.
There shall be only one pannier
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Returning to sense;
I noticed when i first started cycling that all the others in the cycle club push off with their right foot/leg on the pedal so the left foot is on the pavement and is last to clip into pedal. Thinking it through it is clearly commonsense to use left leg as the support leg when stopped cos this is the side away from the traffic etc.
Not me I use my right leg/foot and always put this down first when I stop/clip it in last when I start. I did try to change by pulling up toe strap tight on right side and remember to put left leg down, it owrked for awhile but I soon reverted to type.
What i can say is I am sure this is the reason why only my collar bone and shoulder blade were broken in last year's accident. I know i was freewheeling immediately before impact and when we looked at the bike it was evident the car's bumper had hit the bike at the bottom bracket just under my right foot, had my foot been down i would have had a smashed ankle!!

Can't say as I have noticed if my right leg is any more shapely than my left, though.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

eileithyia wrote:Can't say as I have noticed if my right leg is any more shapely than my left, though.
Can we be the judges of that, please?

BTW, back to seriousness too, how are you now? I know you're back cycling, but you haven't mentioned your accident for a while, so hopefully you're ok.

Regards, and love to Up North. (I miss it a bit!)
Mick.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Shoulder still has some achy and uncomfy days, tis ok on the bike except when having to look over my right shoulder on these occasions, tis other ranges of movement that are usually affected.
Still doing some physio and think I will always have to do the exercises to keep it loosened off. Have seen an independant consultant for a report for court etc., and awaiting further developments.

Thanks for asking.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells