buying a touring bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
claire

buying a touring bike

Post by claire »

I'm new to touring (having had the opportunity to spend 6 weeks touring New Zealand on a borrowed bike). I now want to buy my own bike to use for touring in the uk and continent. I have very little experience of buying bikes and are confused as to the type and speck of bike i want. I want something that i can load up with camping gear and generally use on metal roads, but also could be used on rough gravel roads. I have been looking at the Dawes galaxy ? but then someone said a mountain bike frame would suit better? So as a confused new cyclist any advice much appreciated. Budget around the 600/700 pounds.
Pedalling Pete

Re:buying a touring bike

Post by Pedalling Pete »

The Dawes Galaxy series are a good benchmark for a touring machine, and would be capable of some roughstuff if fitted with suitable tyres. A fully specced mountain bike may be fine for offroad, but for touring would generally lack the carrying capacity for panniers, be unnecessarily heavy if fully suspended, and have knobbly tyres which would not be best for road use, and no mudguards for the English Summer! What you need to look at are Hybrid machines. Just make a list of what you want the machine to do, then check the available hybrids in each manufacturers range.
JBB

Post by JBB »

I think your chioce is narrowed down if you decide whether youwant drop handlebars or not. This would rule out most hybrids. Also if you are cycle camping you will almost certinly want front panniersso again it would be better to have those as standard. I alo feel that many people underestimate the ability of the average tourer off-road. it will cope with most stuff except rocky descents or deep mud. However if you want dropbars and a tourer with amountain bike pedigree you could consider the Dawes Sardar ; it may also fit you better if your'e not that tall.
HTH
Julia
Marc

Post by Marc »

Claire

A couple of questions for you what is your budget? Does that include the additional bits like a damn good lock and clothing etc? Will you be camping, B+B ing or hosteling as this varies what you will want to carry.

Lets us know and the help can be more specific. Bt the Way THe Dawes Galaxy and it higher priced brothers and susters are dirt cherap at the moment and good value for money.

Cheers

Marc
claire

Post by claire »

In reply to your questions Marc, i'm looking to spend upto 700 ish for the bike with racks. I have extra money for panniers and i already have cycling clothing. As for what i want the bike for i plan to do weekend tours and longer holidays where i carry my own tent & cooking equipment. cheers Claire
Marc

Post by Marc »

Claire

For £669.99 The Bike Shed are selling the Dawes Super Galaxy, £10 carriage from Exeter to you just turn the bars and put on peddles and your off!
http://www.bikesheduk.com/main/index2.asp

Mines three years old and done in excess of 2000 miles carrying a minimum of 18.5 stones. So in terms of the ability to to carry and last well under extreme loading its a yard stick by which other bikes can be measured. To date it will be the most sold tourer, acknowledging it specification changes throughout the years.

Look at Thorn Cycles from £750 and the Hewitt tourer getting some good coverage from £850 and above.

Good luck

Marc
rp

Post by rp »

I'm having a similar problem to Claire. I am just getting back into cycling after a gap of a few years. I am a relatively small woman, so until now, I have been riding a childs bike that was equiped with panier rack and drop handlebars. Unfortunately, this bike has now seen better days, and it is a little too small for me, so I have been looking into getting a new touring bike. Initially I will just be using it for a commute of 7miles each way in order to build up my fitness, but I would like to move on to day-trips, light touring and perhaps more heavy touring carrying tents etc. I would like it to have drop handlebars, and facilities to attach mudgards, panier rackes etc. Not having bought a bike since I was a child, I went into my local shop and asked their advice. They advised me to get a Trek 1000 with a 43 frame, but my research indicates that this is much more of a road bike than a touring bike, and may not be suitable for carrying loads. I have also found the Dawes Horizon on the internet for about £320 pounds, but its low price in comparison to other tourers makes me suspicious. I have a relatively low budget of around £600 to spend. Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking for?

Rebecca
Marc

Post by Marc »

rp

This was mailed to me today I hope it answers your question;

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick response, it is much appreciated. I take it that the bike comes pretty much assembled - just a case of having to turn handlebars and put on my pedals or did you take it to your local LBS and get them to check it out?

I've been looking for a new touring bike for a few months now, and had pretty much decided on a Galaxy as Spa Cycles are doing them for £490, but I wasn't sure about bar end shifters. However, on my last CTC run, one of the girls had a nice shiney new SG and let my try it - sold on it now, and the STI shifters make it much more appealing - guess I'm better spending the money up front than converting a few months down the line ;-)

Marc
Marc

Post by Marc »

rp

Forgot to mention Spa are worth a good chat about this bikes credentials.

Marc