First time nearly hit by a car - police notified

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gbnz

First time nearly hit by a car - police notified

Post by gbnz »

Well my cycling career almost ended two hours ago! End of a quick 20 mile Friday afternoon spin on country roads, heading back through town, nearly home

Roundabout is empty, except me, when some idiot at high speed storms onto the roundabout without giving way, a fraction of a second away from hitting me from the side. As it was, I hopped/jumped (With a road bike!),parallel to the car, stretching a brand new brake cable in an attempt to stop, to the extent it stretched to a point at which the brake doesn't work. A positive thing about a small medieval town centre, is that a bike is far faster than a car - breaking the speed limit on the flat isn't difficult on a road bike. So time, full registration details, vehicle make, description, parking spot noted

Round to the police station, full statement, signed and I'm easy about going to court. Seems possible this one will get a driver improvement scheme, £150 fine or a court appearance. What a satsifactory end to the week :D
hamster

Re: First time nearly hit by a car - police notified

Post by hamster »

Sounds like a satisfactory result - not least because you are unhurt.
I doubt the cable stretched -more likely you used strength you didn't know you had and pulled it through the cable clamp.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I expect your local force will give the matter their full attention and will do absolutely diddly squat.
Witlesses?
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I expect your local force will give the matter their full attention and will do absolutely diddly squat.
Witlesses?

That would be mu guess too.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
downfader

Post by downfader »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I expect your local force will give the matter their full attention and will do absolutely diddly squat.
Witlesses?

Not always. If the same vehicle/driver keeps popping up they can take all of those into account as it proves antisocial behaviour. We should be careful about propergating the myth that the Police are workshy on this.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

downfader wrote:
Witlesses?

Not always. If the same vehicle/driver keeps popping up they can take all of those into account as it proves antisocial behaviour. We should be careful about propergating the myth that the Police are workshy on this.

I don't anticipate it going to court. However I know it'll be followed through

It helps that it's a small town, with an issue with boy racers and an issue with the boy racer concerned (No surprise the officer involved recognised the problem driver). Having been formerly involved in a legal enforcement role, I have every confidence in utilising the law enforcement process to ensure myself and others are not harmed by dangerous driving, which in this case will probably merit a driver training scheme
downfader

Post by downfader »

gbnz wrote:
downfader wrote:
Witlesses?

I don't anticipate it going to court. However I know it'll be followed through

It helps that it's a small town, with an issue with boy racers and an issue with the boy racer concerned (No surprise the officer involved recognised the problem driver). Having been formerly involved in a legal enforcement role, I have every confidence in utilising the law enforcement process to ensure myself and others are not harmed by dangerous driving, which in this case will probably merit a driver training scheme

I think these driver training schemes are actually a good idea. It gives the Police power to solve a problem the courts probably wouldnt want to consider and the driver gets something out of it (plus losing some money from their pocket helps them to realise there can be costs involved).

I think you've done the right thing and commend you for it. If he's known in the worst capacity he will get banned eventually, perhaps even have his car destroyed.

I wonder? Does anyone know if the new powers have come into place for on-the-beat bobbies to issue points to drivers? I did read there had been plans.
Ruth28

Post by Ruth28 »

Last year, I was hit by a car that pulled out of a junction without looking. Luckily I wasn't hurt (though badly shocked) and the bike was OK. I had a witness who got the numberplate (the driver didn't speak to me, just watched me stand up and drove off). I went to the police and they were absolutely mystfied about why I was reporting it! I made a pest of myself and got it logged but it felt like a complete waste of time. Should I have done anything else?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ruth28 wrote:Last year, I was hit by a car that pulled out of a junction without looking. Luckily I wasn't hurt (though badly shocked) and the bike was OK. I had a witness who got the numberplate (the driver didn't speak to me, just watched me stand up and drove off). I went to the police and they were absolutely mystfied about why I was reporting it! I made a pest of myself and got it logged but it felt like a complete waste of time. Should I have done anything else?

yes - it was a hit and run.
the driver left the scene of an accident.

both are serious offenses
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
downfader

Post by downfader »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Ruth28 wrote:Last year, I was hit by a car that pulled out of a junction without looking. Luckily I wasn't hurt (though badly shocked) and the bike was OK. I had a witness who got the numberplate (the driver didn't speak to me, just watched me stand up and drove off). I went to the police and they were absolutely mystfied about why I was reporting it! I made a pest of myself and got it logged but it felt like a complete waste of time. Should I have done anything else?

yes - it was a hit and run.
the driver left the scene of an accident.

both are serious offenses

I agree, though if unhurt I have been told the driver is allowed to leave if he just throws his name and address at you. :?

If you were unsatisfied with the police response then you can ask to see a more senior officer. There are in-house complaint procedures too, and if those fail then the IPCC can deal with it. All the info is on your local constabulary website. If you feel the response was really bad an extra complaint to your MP can also be a tool.

The usual response is for them to ask you to fill out a form and then they contact the driver.
Ruth28

Post by Ruth28 »

Thanks to all - I'll make even more of a nuisance of myself if it happens again (hopefully not!)

Ruth
downfader

Post by downfader »

Ruth28 wrote:Thanks to all - I'll make even more of a nuisance of myself if it happens again (hopefully not!)

Ruth

Well the thing is to be direct and polite and know your rights and responsibilities. I was lucky with mine as I had a good copper at the scene, and the guys in the station were really cool.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

glad your unhurt!

although whenever i have near misses with a car i just tend to shout a little at the driver & carry on my way! dont bother reporting

theres been times too when a near-miss has been my fault. ie pulling out of a junction without looking properly. i suppose if i reported the drivers...its only fair that they report me too for cr*p cycling
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
minkie

Post by minkie »

lauriematt wrote:glad your unhurt!

although whenever i have near misses with a car i just tend to shout a little at the driver & carry on my way! dont bother reporting

theres been times too when a near-miss has been my fault. ie pulling out of a junction without looking properly. i suppose if i reported the drivers...its only fair that they report me too for cr*p cycling

Nice one :)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I don't believe the driver concerned in my incident enjoyed his remedial driving course (Judging by his expression in the local newspaper).