Closing Ortlieb backroller panniers?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
grw

Closing Ortlieb backroller panniers?

Post by grw »

ThirdCrank wrote (on another thread - http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24835&hilit=ortlieb#p196680)
On the other hand, an Ortleib roll-top properly fastened could be completely submerged and remain waterproof.

Having just taken delivery of some new Ortlieb panniers - how do you close them properly? I am baffled - the instructions look like a dish of spaghetti with lines and arrows everywhere. I am feeling particularly inept at the moment... :? (They had no carradice due in stock til mid-July - I was impatient!)
Gareth
thirdcrank

Re: Closing Ortlieb backroller panniers?

Post by thirdcrank »

That explains the loud ringing noise in my ears :oops: (I hope the timing of the post is not symptomatic of a night of frustraion trying to cope with poor instructions. :( )

Here are the official illustrated instructions - I hope they are better than what you have - at least I see no pasta of any kind :wink:

http://www.ortlieb.de/index_white.php?l ... system.php

The main thing is, between pics 2 and 3 the plastic strips need to be gripped together and rolled over, although as I don't go dumping mine in the canal, I can manage with only a couple of twists.
grw

Post by grw »

Thank you! Much better than the leaflet that came with them!
And no, no late night struggles - I'm down under, so it's late afternoon (arvo?) here :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm glad that helped. Poor instructions, be that because they are written in gibberish, assume knowledge that would mean you didn't need the instructions anyway, or consist only of unintelligible graphics, are one of my (many) hobby-horses. If I ruled the world the people to blame for this would suffer a cruel fate. :twisted:

In preparation for the digital switch-off, I bought my mother a new tele on Wednesday. She is 89 and needs something straightforward. The Instruction booklet ran to 16 pages. The first 15 pages consisted of explaining (with crap diagrams :? ) how to fit every type of stand the company made to a tele. I finally worked out for myself that for the one I had bought, the stand just slotted in and clicked into place. OTOH, when it came to the actual tele, it was just a matter of plugging it in and letting it get on with it. 8)
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Back-Roller Classic's, I think there are great. I have also the Back-Packer Classic's, but I think the former are much better. The Back-Packer's are nice, but I do think there are a faff on, even though the lid is of a simple and snap-on buckle. I use the Roller's for shopping, but I think I may use the Packer's for shopping and use the Roller's for touring.