I've been caught in a police speed-trap!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
JohnW

Re: I've been caught in a police speed-trap!

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote: The issue then was the danger from motor vehicles and that's what the legislation was intended to tackle.

Didn't work, did it?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW wrote:
thirdcrank wrote: The issue then was the danger from motor vehicles and that's what the legislation was intended to tackle.

Didn't work, did it?

It's my understanding that as fas as the situation in the 1930's goes, Belisha's reforms achieved quite a bit in bringing Mr Toad under some sort of control. I tend to think that part of the modern problem occurred because after he had acted, not much more happened till Ernest Marples - who was more parking control - and Barbara Castle - who introduced the breathalyser.

Anyway, I was trying to demonstrate that speeding on a cycle is not a specific offence because it's never been a social problem (not even young Yorkshiremen going courting :wink: )
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:Anyway, I was trying to demonstrate that speeding on a cycle is not a specific offence because it's never been a social problem (not even young Yorkshiremen going courting :wink: )

Nice one tc - yeah - I was young then !!
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

Beakyboy wrote:Great story, has anyone ever been done for speeding on a bike?

Not done, but I was warned by a traffic cop for my excess speed once.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

From Wikipedia article about Alf Engers

In July 1976 he was heading for a 48-minute ride when he was stopped by a police patrol while doing 50 mph (80 km/h) on a descent of the A2 near Swanscombe, in Kent. He was banned from racing for two years, reduced to 12 months on appeal. This suspension might have ended of his career, but he came back in 1978 to achieve his best result.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
groveller

Post by groveller »

A few weeks ago I was riding uphill on one of my favorite narrow country lanes when a runner of a similar vintage to myself appeared alongside me. I managed a sickly smile through the sweat, we exchanged greetings, he then went on to say it was the first time he had passed a cyclist. Being a bit competitive I made sure he didn't actually get past. :twisted:
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

pete75 wrote:

From Wikipedia article about Alf Engers

In July 1976 he was heading for a 48-minute ride when he was stopped by a police patrol while doing 50 mph (80 km/h) on a descent of the A2 near Swanscombe, in Kent. He was banned from racing for two years, reduced to 12 months on appeal. This suspension might have ended of his career, but he came back in 1978 to achieve his best result.

That's interesting. Presumably there is some clause in the roadie handbook that covers riding "too fast" even though it's not illegal*...

* although of course they could perhaps have done him on careless cycling or something
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

groveller

I now the feeling, but nothing to worry about. If you watch the TdeF people running up the climbs even manage to pass the riders. Anyway, you always come to a downhill bit and leave them standing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was struggling up LONG the hill toward Blubberhouses/Forest Moor on the A59 last year, and a couple of cyclists flashed past me on a training run. To my credit, I was pulling my trailer, and they were stripped down and light.

I caught them up at the top as they rested in a layby and we chatted for a few minutes. They left, whizzing off down towards Skipton. I followed, a few minutes later.

I overtook them way before the time they got to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill where they turned off for Ilkley.

I shot downhill. Weight was on my side!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... I shot downhill. Weight was on my side!

That's why they have the escape lane. (You should have visited Buffers at Storiths -see my recommendation on the cafes sticky. )
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

My ambition is to set off the 30 MPH flashing sign on the way into work in the mornings, keep getting caught by the traffic lights 200 yards before hand :(