Thatcher

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
climo

Re: Thatcher

Post by climo »

sirmy wrote:Six pages and still going - imagine what will happen when she does die

I'll be too busy uncorking the champagne.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

sirmy wrote:Six pages and still going - imagine what will happen when she does die

Hopefully the majority of people will reflect on her life with respect and decorum, whatever their views on her policies. She, like most people, was only doing what she thought was best. Even if you think she got it wrong, I do think we should have some basic respect for one of our fellow human beings.

(I'll go back under my stone/bridge now)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Well nothing will happen - it's too late now - she's done her harm. Thatcher and those pulling her strings.

Don't let us forget Rupert Murdoch in all this, and the little get together he had with Blair, in Tasmania, before the Sun gutter rag decided not to support John Major. Now what was all that about?
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

Mrs.Thatcher Prime Minister of The United Kingdom 1979 - 1990 that is now almost 2 decades in the past.
The Sun never failed to rise or set then or since.
Neil Mc Ivor
138 Kingsburn Grove
Rutherglen
Glasgow
G73 2DP
johncharles

Post by johncharles »

fatboy wrote:
johncharles wrote:But all your points were anti Margaret Thatcher and nothing to say that you thought the same or similar about those who have been since.

Firstly this was my first post here, and yes my post was mainly anti Margaret Thatcher but since that was who we were talking about and the title of the thread I thought that to be reasonable.

I have not said it isn't but just made the comment that your whole post was anti Margaret Thatcher so I also thought it reasonable to say that I disagreed with you about her by saying what I think of the crowd we have now .
johncharles

Post by johncharles »

Kirst wrote:
johncharles wrote:

So the toadying up that Blair did to Bush is fine and the the joke of a Chancellor that Brown was and his sp called principles and not forgetting Mandelson.
The Kinnocks on the Euro gravy train and I notice that these so called labour people who so detest the idea of the House of Lords (which I do think could do with some alteration) can't wait to don the ermine robes.

No, they're not fine either, but they're not who the thread is about. Expressing a dislike of Thatcher isn't an expression of liking for anyone else.

So we cannot comment about other politicians as an opinion for Margaret Thatcher and not against her.

By the vehement comments made against her then why is it so wrong for me to say what I think of the present day government.

I openly come out with my support for her and my dislike of this crowd, is that too hard for some.
johncharles

Post by johncharles »

climo wrote:

I'll be too busy uncorking the champagne.

It will be an even bigger bottle whenTony Blair pops his clogs.

Mind he will have filled his boots on the EU gravy train before then along with Mrs Blair. They are really in touch with the average Joe on the street aren't they. :roll:
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

glueman wrote:OTOH if the neighbouring country were a large and politically sensitive one with nuclear weapons like China and the island were Hong Kong there'd be an orderly retreat with marching bands.

There is no comparison between the two. We had most of HK on a 99-year-lease, and the PRC was perfectly entitled to choose not to renew the lease. (You could get pedantic about the lease only covering the New Territories, but absolutely everyone accepted the complete impracticality of dividing the territories.)

That is not to say that the Falklands War was justified. The principle of defending the home of British Citizens was just, but a diplomatic solution could have been achieved.

As for Thatcher, probably the ideal would have been if she'd had a single term. Her approach to the union stranglehold on the country was absolutely necessary, and I don't think anyone who lived through the Three Day Week could possibly disagree. After the first term, she started believing in her own PR.

But then, as someone with no party politics, I believe that alternating governments is the best way to minimise the harm that governments of all colours can do.
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ben Lovejoy wrote: ... I don't think anyone who lived through the Three Day Week could possibly disagree. ... .

"Vote for Ted!........Spend four days in bed!"
chambo3413

Post by chambo3413 »

I don't think it matters who is in 'charge' of the county as they are only the face of government...behind the scenes it is the same people ie civil servants, human rights lawyers and the media that actualy 'runs' the country provided 'we' buy into their lies it will continue.
I have no love for Maggie and her ilk, she did I believe introduce the market economy( flexible work practices & redundancies,economy drives,gross underinvestment, workforce exploitation-now moved to third world market economies) she did I believe preside over the 'deregulation' credit cards (look at our individual debt now), sold off council houses(housing shortage and once spiralling house prices that WILL return) she even nicked our school milk(Maggie Thatcher school milk snatcher).
The Falklands war helped her regain her hold on power at the expense of many avoidable but respected deaths on both sides.
She destroyed communities which anyone living in one of the 1980's mining communities will tell you ( I have several personal and rather sad memories of this)
Was she any worse than previous or successive leaders, probably not she was just more in your face.
My current stance on politics is why bother, though if I were to state my leanings they would most likely be Social Conservative with Draconian leanings, ie no room for scroungers or businesses who do not pay their way.
information on cycling in and around Chesterfield during the 1930's -1970's wanted
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

In true egalitarian spirit, I will ride my bike into town or maybe get a bus if it is deep midwinter should the iron lady finally perish. Rust comes to everything and she deserves her share for what she did to homes, schools, economy and that thing she despised so much:- society.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:when i saw the thread title, i reached for the cold champagne in the fridge. :lol:

Me too! we should be so lucky :( .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:Let's not forget that before Thatcher, Britain was Utopian - a model society for the rest of the world...

And during?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Dystopian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

carlislemike wrote:Dystopian