carlton corsa

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stepbuilder

carlton corsa

Post by stepbuilder »

I have recently acquired a Carlton Corsa in poor condition. I am going to refurbish the bike does anyone know what tubing it is made from as there are no stickers etc.
The only number I can find is on the rear left hand dropout No 79240. Any info gratefully received as I have tried searching the web but with no luck.
Thanks very much
cjchambers

Re: carlton corsa

Post by cjchambers »

I don't know much about early Carltons, but I have a Carlton Continental from the early 70s. Like mine, the lack of letters in your frame number would suggest it was made between 1968 and 1972 (see http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm). If yours is the same era, the tubes will probably be one of two things:

1. Reynolds 531

2. Tru-wel 205 - after Tubular Investments took over Raleigh, they start using this as an 'own brand' alternative to Reynolds. It didn't last long because everyone who wanted a decent bike just wanted Reynolds. Mine is truwel - the label says 'Hi Tensile ERW Steel', but I'm sure I've seen a picture on the internet of a Truwel decal which said "CrMo db" (double butted). Can't find it now, though.

So there we are - no further forward really! There are threads pop up every now and again asking if its possible to identify a Reynolds 531 frame without decals. Although people do come up with some ideas on how to do it, the answer usually seems to be "no, unless you're a qualified metallurgist".

Does yours look like this (http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/mybikes/ ... strada.htm) by any chance?
stepbuilder

Post by stepbuilder »

Hi thanks for info the lugs on mine do look to be the same as the ones on the site you mentioned but the frame definately only says corsa on it not corsa strada. I think that it probably is early 70`s
cdtb

Post by cdtb »

Hi
My parents bought a 23 inch frame Carlton Corsa for me as a teenager in 1974. The frame was nothing special and plain steel as I remember. The bike originally came with a double chainring steel cottered chain set, 5 speed Weinmann centre pull brakes, short 'racing' mudguards, and I'll never know why I chose mauve for the colour of the frame!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Plenty of Carltons were nothing special - not all 531, however pretty the lugs!

I THINK that the top of the seat stays can be a clue. If you take some photos stick 'em up on Special Interests section on bikeradar Forum and "Ping" a chap called bagpuss - he's pretty good on Carltons! Say dave j sent you!
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

I have a Carlton Corsa (and a lovely bike she is too), but alas, having just looked at my frame, nothing but the frame number is on it.

So... I've just spoken with Chris Juden our highly knowledgeable Technical Officer, and having worked for Raliegh many years ago, he's said the following:

(Seem Welded Medium Carbon 'High Tensil' steel - Not Reynolds or Cromoly, though it probably has a bit of Cr plus Mo in it. Made by Tube Investments, who did also own Reynolds at that time)

So, hopefully that'll help.

Snakes
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Well, this post awakened some happy memories - so much so that I brought down my 1972 Carlton Continental from the workshop wall, where it's been hanging for more years than I care to remember. I know the year as it was my 13th birthday prezzie from mum and dad. It's only as I got older that I appreciated how much it cost in real terms :?
The frame number is 260142, but the transfers for the tubing type have long since worn away. The original 5-speed Huret has been replaced over the years with a 12-speed Shimano set-up, and the full-length guards swapped for some natty little alloy shorties.
I'm very tempted to start riding it again, but could do with replacing the wheel rims, which are 27 inch chrome and now a little tatty. Can anyone recommend a decent alloy rim ? - I don't think there's enough adjustment on the brake calipers to cope with a 700.
Perhaps I'll do a full restoration if I can find some decent Imichrome transfers :roll:

Steve
aj

Post by aj »

If I remember the 1970's Carltons correctly Reynolds frames had seat stays that were attached to the sides of the seat tube, those bikes made with the tru-wel were wrapped around the seat tube and over the top tube.

Adrian
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

aj wrote:those bikes made with the tru-wel were wrapped around the seat tube and over the top tube. Adrian

That makes mine a Tru-wel then, Adrian. Still has the nice, shaped lugs though :)
aj

Post by aj »

My old Carlton Cobra is a truwel too, its the one that had a fully chromed frame overlaid with a sort of transparent red and black paint scheme that didn't last as well as the chrome. Think it cost about £80 in the early seventies. Apart from the paint its still all original.

Adrian
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Whilst I was looking over the old Continental this afternoon, I noticed that the number '72' was stamped in very small figures on the upper right hand side of the head tube, just below the top ball-race. Thirty-seven years of ownership and I'd not noticed it before today :oops:
I know the bike was bought in '72, so could this be another way of dating the frames?

Steve
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

Greybeard wrote:Whilst I was looking over the old Continental this afternoon, I noticed that the number '72' was stamped in very small figures on the upper right hand side of the head tube, just below the top ball-race. Thirty-seven years of ownership and I'd not noticed it before today :oops:
I know the bike was bought in '72, so could this be another way of dating the frames?

Steve

Most likely to be head tube angle as I had a Harry Quinn that also had 72 stamped on one of the head lugs and it was built in the late 80's.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hello Stepbuilder.
Well this is a fond trip down memory lane. I bought a Carlton Corsa in '75. Jennifer and I went everywhere together and she got wiped out by a blind woman driver on a roundabout in '94. Her colour was a light 'apple' green, except for the front forks which were 'chrome'. There was a front light boss on the offside fork. The cranks were cottered, the bane of my life! No, there was no mention of Reynolds tubing on her, I think the tubing was nothing special. Hope you find what your'e looking for and don't forget to post pikkies :)
Alan
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

My Carlton is finished :P It was this post that spurred me on to restore it, so here's the result

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3832&p=231249#p231249

Steve
spanner48

Post by spanner48 »

My Carlton is finished It was this post that spurred me on to restore it, so here's the result

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3832&p=231249#p231249

Steve

Greybeard
Steve,
What was it like before the rebuild? I'm looking at what I THINK is a Continental, from that 1968-72 period (Crespera lugs). It has the high flange hubs (with butterflies; not QRs), but it also has half-chromed forks. Does yours?
Attachments
CarltonConti04102.jpg